Do you speak with an accent?

I've got a pretty run of the mill South-East English accent. I've been told it's kinda posh, but only by chavs or northeners and they say that to anyone who's not a chav or northerner.

I didn't think the cockneys that joined my school sounded posh at all lol. One of them was an emo girl so they weren't chavs either (the others were just normal people).

What a coincidence I was looking round Hull Uni today. There will be people from the all random countries so I wouldn't worry about that tbh.

Personally, I don't. I live in Boston, and lots of people don't pronounce their Rs (it "pahk my cah" as opposed to "park my car"). I personally think that accent sounds trashy as hell, and contrary to popular belief, not everyone in this area talks like that; more just the lower class people in certain areas. My relatives in Germany on my mom's side speak with a Bavarian accent, which I think sounds terrible as well. I don't have an accent when I speak English (in terms of American English, of course) or German.

Everyone has an accent. If we bring an accent down to it's bare-bones, we all speak a little differently. Whether it's due to our ancestors, what we hear on a daily basis, or the people we interact with, we all speak a little differently from everyone else.

I don't identify with any regional dialect, just American. At times I even try to speak more clearly, like by pronouncing t's that most people would barely pronounce.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I think that a standardization of a language is important for retaining a relative communication. It seems that throughout history, at least here in the U.S, it has been difficult to retain one solid accent. This is clearly due to immigration, bordering countries, but also distance.

The people from the southwest are clearly influenced by Mexico, the people in the North-Midland states are influenced by Canada, the people of South Florida by Cuba, etc.

I don't post this to state that accents are good and bad. I suppose this is just a summary of the development of accents here in the U.S. But to add to this, what I said above I think is still important. If there is not a, "common" standard for a language, it will change too much from outside influences.

I do, because I am a moderator and I consider it fucking annoying to triple post, so please use the multiquote feature or edit button for courtesy in the future.

I do, because I am a moderator and I consider it fucking annoying to triple post, so please use the multiquote feature or edit button for courtesy in the future.

That's a pretty nitpicky rule, but since you're the moderator, I'll oblige.

It is just not courteous. It is akin to a real life situation in which you say three unrelated things at a party instead of just mentioning them together or something.

Bad metaphor but...yeah. Thanks?

I don't think saying three unrelating things together at a party is too strange.

Especially if you have an accent. [/backontopic]

It is just not courteous. It is akin to a real life situation in which you say three unrelated things at a party instead of just mentioning them together or something.

Bad metaphor but...yeah. Thanks?

That was a horrible metaphor, and I understand what you mean, but I don't find it that irritating to read someone post three different times. Is it really that annoying? I see this happen all the time in other forums, and never do I see anyone else complain about it.

But bad metaphor and all, I know what you were trying to say. And like I said, I'll refrain from doing it here. Thanks for the heads up.

That was a horrible metaphor, and I understand what you mean, but I don't find it that irritating to read someone post three different times. Is it really that annoying? I see this happen all the time in other forums, and never do I see anyone else complain about it.

But bad metaphor and all, I know what you were trying to say. And like I said, I'll refrain from doing it here. Thanks for the heads up.

I find you annoying.