Do you speak with an accent?

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

^Here are my results of that quiz. Even though I'm Canadian, the quiz appears to be fairly accurate. "The West" was runner-up. I'm from BC btw.

Which British accent would that be then, since there are more than one?

Don't know which one, and i am not curious in knowing it.

there are a million british accents and i'm 100% certain you mean cockney, and even then you probably mean the even more awful cockney that you get in american tv shows (which tends to sound australian)

Yeah, maybe.

60279499vs9.jpg

:danceboy:

I live thousands of miles away from it. :loco:

I think I have just the regular Australian accent I say all the the things that are stereotypical like mate, howzit goin', struth, wanka, dunno

All I can say is that if I were to give an example of how I think I sound it'd be a little like Hugh Jackman except my voice is a bit less deep and I say things faster

A typical sentence probably would come out like this say it as fast as posible

Hey mate howzit goin', ahh really no good then ahh well nice ta see ya anyway

(Hey mate how is it going, oh really not good then oh well nice to see you anyway)

Anyway if I was a yank I'd be this

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

I've heard from people that I have a slight southern accent. Which would make sense considering I was born in Florida. I obviously don't hear it but I've been living in Indy for a while now so I'm sure it has become a bit diluted over the ears.

I've always thought people with strong accents sound cool as hell. The funniest accent I've come across is pidgin; aka how the Hawaiian locals talk. I don't even know why but it just makes me laugh when I hear it.

Western accent, which makes sense considering I've spent most of my life in Washington state.

Though I have been told that I pronounce my d's and t's particularly crispy, especially in words like "button" and "mitten." Which seems to be pretty unusual for any of the American accents.

People not from the area think that Cincinnatians don't pronounce the letter 'l' in words, so instead of 'cold' it sounds like you are saying 'cod' with a long vowel sound for the 'o'.

Quiz says "Midland" or "no accent", which sounds about right. Depending on where you are in the state, Maryland has country accents, southern accents and that nasally Baltimore twang. Like most people my age who live close to DC, I have none of those. But I'm sure if I went to many other parts of the country, people might tell by my voice that I'm from out of town.

The quiz also says I could be from the Midwest, which would be automatically ruled out when you find out that I don't describe carbonated beverages as "pop". :p

I'm glad you included a translation...I didn't get anything the first time.

Yeah it wasn't really for the already English speaking types more the people that have English as a second language who are new to it

The reason I do this is because I've already had other members on UM and other forums complain about me typing shit that they don't understand so I'm just trying to be a bit considerate

The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

This is correct, I am from Saginaw originally. Though for the people saying "everyone has an accent"...General American is the name given to any American accent that is relatively free of noticeable regional influences, and therefore not an accent. :)

I've got a pretty run of the mill South-East English accent, hardly suprising seeing as I've lived here all my life. I've been told it's kinda posh, but only by chavs or northeners and they say that to anyone who's not a chav or northerner. I find myself doing the whole dropping my g from ing words and not pronouncing double t's in words like bottle. I'm generally quite sloppy with proper pronunciation.