Do you speak with an accent?

Well it depends on what you mean when you say "sound like." There's a difference between accent and phonetic structure. In both cases, Latin and ancient Greek were quite similar.

Italian (and Spanish, Portuguese, French, Romanian, for that matter) was spawned from Latin. Greek was not; Greek was already a language back when Latin was spoken, though I imagine ancient Greek is quite different than modern Greek.

Modern Greek is nearly as far removed from Ancient Greek as Italian is from Latin. Modern Greek is more similar to Ancient (and Biblical Greek) because the Byzantines spoke it many centuries after Latin died out.

Latin and Greek are both Italic languages, which spawned contemporarily from the same Indo-European root. A good deal of words in both languages are almost the same, except for how it was written of course.

Hmmmm. Accents.

In England I obviously speak with an accent and everybody notices. After being in England for about a year and coming back to New England for the summer, my speech pattern has apparently "changed", which leaves me with an accent that is "from here, but off".

^I was wondering if you had an English accent by now. :p Welcome back Susan. :)
cookiecutter and ohiogrinder said they could tell I'm from The South by the way I talk, maybe Thoth Amon thinks the same thing. :lol:

Thanks Derek!

A friend of a friend was visiting town from Tennessee and she had a somewhat Southern accent, although I honestly couldn't tell it was from Tennessee. I thought Tennessee accents would be really thick and intensely Southern, but it wasn't that thick. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that her father was from New York City, but I don't know. It wasn't what I was expecting.

^It depends, really Southern accents in Western Tennessee aren't really thick, the older Generation of people generally has a more thicker accent than mine, because in the younger people some seem to talk "normal", some slightly Southern, and those two are what most everyone is in, and more thicker accents. But that's my understanding of Southern accents in this area.

My high school French teacher grew up in France and learned British English, then moved to the Southern US for a couple decades. She had a very strange accent.