Do you think Opeth has perfect chemistry on and off the stage?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I'm asking this with absolutely no knowledge of their off-stage lives, nor am I inferring anything. It's just that I've been listening to music for decades, and I like many of you have seen the ups and downs of so many bands, from the breakups/band member problems/etc of big names such as Metallica & Aerosmith, to a host of others.

On stage, for the five times I've seen them, it appears to me they have perfect chemistry. But off stage, and behind the scenes, I wonder and am somewhat curious as to the overall health of the band. I have no real reason to believe anything is wrong, but, like with anything in life, there are always things you call signs that may cast some doubt:

Martin Lopez: I do believe he is legitimately ill, but I've read other "stories" about what people believe to be his problem.
Mikael: I've seen countless stories about other bands and control issues on the inside. Is it possible that there is any resentment towards Mikael from the other band members since Mikael, at least from my perspective, carries a majority of the artistic weight?

I assume all bands have disagreements, as with any relationship. These guys have put together eight brilliant albums in their career, and have also had some band changes. I just wonder how things are currently? My guess is A-OK.

theyre liek a U2 on a smaller scale I think...!!!!......they seem to get along very well .......if u saw teh doc. on lamenations...they say that they never fight...adn once only did they fight over teh thermostat in teh tour bus...hahaha....adn that was SCREAMING only...!!!...i wouldnt even call that a fight...hahahha.............so no egos I think....POEAC EOUT

on mike being the main guy in the band...the other members obviously recognize this, but they seem to realize that opeth is a band. there is a team aspect. they recognize mike as a brilliant musician, one who's ideas work well for what opeth is doing. having 5 mikes in the band would be impossible. also, each member definetely has their own flair that they bring to the table. so, a lot of what mike writes for the band is shaped and molded by what the band is made of. so, in that perspective, each member truly is an equal part of the band.

As long as they follow Mike's musical agenda, it's all good. I've heard he's very sensitive and intolerant to creative differences in the band.

well Mike might be the artistic leader in the band, but indeed every member brings his own touch ... like Lopez's drumming has a specific touch.
so Opeth would sound differently with another musician in it. but they all know of course that it's Mikael's ideas that they are supporting I think ...

as for Martin Lopez, well, I believe that it's only a matter of time that Martin Axenrot will take over ... they said in an interview that Lopez is always welcome when he will be able to commit himself 100% to the band, but I fear that this won't be the case anymore unfortunately. But who am I :) it's simple guessing ... time will tell.

but was it Mikael himself that said once that if Opeth would cease to exist, he would still continue to write music, and his next album (solo or other band) would sound like the next Opeth album ... so I think we are safe ;) but I do hope that they don't have to many line-up changes though. but perhaps it would be nice to see other members in other bands that are succesfull (although it's hard to combine perhaps). they are all artists who have their creativity to express, when they can't do this completely in opeth they will have their sideproject I guess.