Do your parents like SymX? (to all the teens)

well they don't LIKE it but when we are discussing about music, my mother always mentions those growling bands (my bigger brother listens them a lot) then my dad says that I don't listen to those bands... he says I listen to REAL music and not that shouting :)

actually I listen to Opeth etc. but not when my parents are around, they think people will lose their mind by listening that kinda music...

so I think they kinda appreciate it. and my dad likes Megadeth and he can listen to Dream Theater and stuff.

As far as other bands go, my mum appreciates metallica. She says "they are a very talented band. i don't know about the lyrics but the music is good." she obviously hasn't read any lyrics.
My parents know i listen to Opeth but they haven't actually heard any. And Dream Theater, well it's the same with Metallica really.

I've read some parents of you listen to ugly music, some others may like some *not too heavy* stuff like DT, and some others dont pay the minimum attention to what you listen.
Anyways, for those who find themselves in the TYPICAL situation: *I want to listen my heavy stuff which i know my mum/dad doesn't like* i'd like to know if you can manage the situation or they are the winners everytime.
I explain better.
Let's take i want to listen my SymphonyX cassette in my car, and *unlucky event!* i have to bring my dad to somewhere.
I try to turn on the player... first time at a volume that even a bat cannot hear... as the car speeds up and becomes a bit noisier, i push up the volume a bit.. let's say... of 2 points...
I remember the ol'good trick, and i move all the balance on the left, just to have the music playin only from the amplifier on my side... i try touchin up a bit more the volume... when it reaches the point "10" (over 24!!!!!!) my dad starts screaming and tellin me to shut the fuck up because the *noises* obsess him!!!!! :eek:
Nothin strange until here. We go back home. He turns on the TV. From the bathroom in the floor above i can still hear perfectly that old western movie he is watchin!!! Now what: are we dumb or this parents always find the most impossible excuses to avoid listening our fuckin music?!?!? Can someone give me an answer?!?! I'm the only one?!?! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

X-Greets,
Knight_
PS: at least my mom is better, she can stand up to an hour of the heaviest metal hihihi ;)

My dad took my Nightwish CDs from me... he listens to wishmaster, oceanborn always in his car... he also loves Nightfall In Middle Earth from Blind Guardian... and it's a Dire Straits fan...
Mom loves Queen.. she used to sing some songs to me when I was a child.. she also likes some metal bands that I listen.. but she doesn't know the names 'cos she listens to it, when I'm listening to it loud.. and she said to me.. I like some songs.. but others no...

Originally posted by Dryad of the Woods
actually I listen to Opeth etc. but not when my parents are around, they think people will lose their mind by listening that kinda music...
And what will happen if you listen to "screaming growling bands" when your parents are around? :lol:

My mother does at least respect my music (all of it), seems some parents need to learn that..

Originally posted by Lutz

And what will happen if you listen to "screaming growling bands" when your parents are around? :lol:

My mother does at least respect my music (all of it), seems some parents need to learn that..

well they say that drop the volume a little. I usually listen music very loud :)

or then I change the track to "Harvest" :lol:

and sometimes when we're eating, they say something that if you keep listening to those bands, you will become crazy. haha that's ridiculous.

yeah, they are silly.

Nah, My mom thought I'm listening to Helmut Lotti, although I was listening to Freedom Call :rolleyes: She said "They sing in same way..."

Sometimes my mom (dad doesn't care ;) ) says "How you can listen to stuff like that? It's awful." It makes me smile a little bit :)

My dad brainwashed me into rock/metal. He made me listen to Joe Satriani (Time Machine was the first record I bought). And my mom likes rock too.
My mom & dad went to Dream Theater (1x), and my dad went to Spock's beard (2x), TransAtlantic (1x), Steve Vai (1x) and soon he and my mom will bee joining me on a Pain of Salvation concert in Helmond, they truly rock :headbang:
In return I attend him to jazz concerts, which is pretty cool. My dad is really into music. He knows so many artists and has near 1000 records (all sorts of music) :D
But my parents do not like Symphony X very much... they don't hate it but it is too bombastic... :bah:
I really love the bombasm and choirs :D

Greetz Freak of Dreams

When I first got DWOT, I used to listen to it all the time. I remember I had it on at my parents house and the end of the song (DWOT, just where it gets mellow) came on just as my mom walked through the door. She stopped and asked who it was because she liked it. She actually asked me to rewind it a little so she could hear that end part again. She said she really liked Russell's voice and asked me why I didn't listen to more bands like this. Ha ha, little did she know. Then when Candlelight Fantasia came on she said she really liked that too. It was funny because she's never "liked" any of the music I listened too. She would tolerate it as my brother and I were the bassist and drummer in a local band, but if she had heard Medusa or anything like that I'm sure it wouldn't have peaked her interest. :)

@ NegrocK_SyX : Bela Fleck is cool!

Well, my parents never really liked my stuff, the closest to "rock" (yes, rock) they ever got was Status Quo and Barclay James Harvest. I failed converting them.

Anyone else here remembering your parents actually shouting "Turn that goddamn noise down!!!!" all the time, even when the music was at a "decent" level (but it was still too loud for them?
Hehe, was for me all the time. Headphones are such pratical tools LOL

my parents are not that much into music (they turn on the radio on their way to work or somewhere else...nothing more), so not surprisingly they hate most of my music (they claim dt solo's are too loud, especially when it gets to the synth solos.
but they do like some metallica, g'n'r, dream theater and even some SyX, but only the melodic ones

tough luck, i'm jealous at you people with the open minded parents

Originally posted by Dark5675
my parents are not that much into music (they turn on the radio on their way to work or somewhere else...nothing more), so not surprisingly they hate most of my music (they claim dt solo's are too loud, especially when it gets to the synth solos.
but they do like some metallica, g'n'r, dream theater and even some SyX, but only the melodic ones

tough luck, i'm jealous at you people with the open minded parents

Come to think of it, my parents also liked the MELODIC ones, without shredding guitars and stuff. No nerve-shredding noises, and it was ok.

My mom says the music isnt bad and actually defends the stuff i like to her friends who keep on saying the beatles were the best band ever (may be true) but the stuff i listen to they dont have any talent, otherwise they would sell more records. Since i cant yell at my moms friend she will say you cant judge the stuff you havent heard it. They are quite talented and i like some of it very much. My mom is cool (sometimes). She can even stand the growlers as long as they sing clean too (like Into Eternity and Wolverine). I swear to god, i caught her headbanging in the car once too and i was quite embarrassed. And she aint a youngin either even though im 19 she is 54.

As for my dad (age 59) he would only listen to the "oldies" when hes in the car with my mom. ive played him stuff just to tick him off :devil: But if i tell him its a norwegian band he seems to like it then.

Well... my daddy-o hates Heavy Metal at all! He prefers brazilian music, such as Caetano Veloso, Tom Jobim... it sucks! heheehe! My mom, though, loves heavy metal!! And she was the one that brainwashed me into HM stuff!!! She loves SyX, but not more than I do! heheheheheh!

One time 2 summers ago I spent all day outside mowing the lawn/ cleaning the windows/ etc and I had V in my old stereo in the garage and my dad came outside and told me to "turn that shit off" so I'm guessing he's not much of a fan.

I can't believe all your guy's parents think growling is terrible and talentless. That's pretty damn sad. My dad called me white trash when I was like 10 for listening to Opeth. I guess he thinks all metal just sounds like Marilyn Manson...