Do your parents like SymX? (to all the teens)

OMG...

People keep bringing up these old threads. I think there should be a rule that after so long a certain topic can be remade so as not to make some of us long time forumers feel so old..lol

growling vocals are talentless garbage, plain and simple

no one knows what white trash is and should stop using this boundry to stereo type rural whites who are perhaps as much if not more diverse than burbies and urbanites, trash exists in all races, generally of greater percentage in non whites, end of that story.

Im to old to directly answer the OP question, both parents being gone, my mother in 1970, but my father did take us to see Chicago and Jesus Christ Superstar in the summer of 70 or 71. Granted both had cross sectional appeal but both also had a large influence on my future taste in music. He did however not like my hardrock, naturally and refered to all the vocals as screaming which was accurate, Robert Plant, Getty Lee, Steve Marriot, Ian Gillan all screamers that I should point out used actual scale tones and applied rhythmic melody but yes indeed screamed out their parts.

On a related side note I would like to point out that I truely believe Jesus Christ Superstars origional studio recording represents Ian Gillans strongest vocal examples and they could not have picked a better vocalist for the job, he never toured with the show though. Murray Head was also amazing as Judas, the remaining cast of vocalist set off a excellent contrast with greatly varied voices and tones. In the world of more recent progressive music, Paul O'Neill associated with Savatages later more progressive and concept albums as well as Transiberian Orchestra was once the touring guitar player for JCS. The opening guitar solo/intro may have been one of the first examples of recorded dark and dissonant guitar sounds that later became popular in metal.

My brother is stuck in the 90's grunge scene so doesn't really give them much of a chance and he is a guitar player.

My mom however loves Symphony X. She went with me to see them in Atlanta was went nuts when she met Russell after the show...kinda embarrassing tbh. Her favorite song is Paradise Lost.

I'm not a teen though...23. Nevertheless I had to put my 2 cents in..

p.s. - Opeth white trash? Omfg. Akerfeldt(?) is quite refined and gracious the few interviews I have seen. Guy is awesome...and an amazing musician, one of the best.

OMG...

People keep bringing up these old threads. I think there should be a rule that after so long a certain topic can be remade so as not to make some of us long time forumers feel so old..lol

Well, I was going to post a thread like this but I used the search bar. This forum is so much different than UG's forum, they are nothing but pricks on there who close threads either just for fun or because of the search bar. I was only a little kid when this thread first came up!

I think perhaps those vocalists should try singing 90 minutes a night for 20 years in a talented musical fashion.

Yes Opeth is interesting until the "vocals" start, then I dont get his point what so ever. Death worship is a joke to boot, there will be ample time for that soon enough

growling vocals are talentless garbage, plain and simple

If this were true, all growling vocals would be the same quality...which is very untrue. I think growling can be harder than ordinary midrange singing, depending on the singer.

I never talked to my parents about my music in high school. I can't imagined they would have enjoyed any of it.

Death worship is a joke to boot, there will be ample time for that soon enough

Death worship? Like, unhealthy praise for the band Death, or Satan worship?

^ Uhmm.. I wouldn't say so. Not exactly anyway. Changing a guitar tone has its purpose, as does vocals. Growling is okay by me, but I have much distaste for Black/Death Metal growls. Having what I call Rhasp, and the occasional growl (Opeth is acceptable the man can sing...) is fine. But cookie monster screaming is talentless. Its noise literally!

My parents don't know of symphony x, but the couple times they did hear them (the odyssey was playing) my mother asked what that noise was and I should turn it off! (this is like 5 years ago by the way lol) The Odyssey is obviously not noise, but the general stereo type of any metal is (noise, angry devil worshipping music). For what its worth, to many older/untrained ears. Any progressive music even in its softest form can sound odd, or like noise to the. There are some things these bands do that is just unheard of by folks of my parents age. And not being musically inclined in the least, they couldn't decipher it if they tried!

cookie monster screaming is talentless. Its noise literally!

Doesn't that make you sound a bit like your parents? ;)

I'm not that much into death/black these days, but I grew up with singers like Chuck Schuldiner, Shagrath, and Alexi Laiho. I do find that type of singing fitting and cool (in a dark way). And yes it does involve certain amount of talent, there are better and worse death/black singers.

Is it less musical? yes definitely. Is it talentless noise? no it isn't.

Tell me that doesn't rock. :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up listening to Venom in my early teens. I didn't mind the vocals(and still don't). But there is a reason; and that is that black metal vocals generally snarl/screech in key. But black metal isn't something I revisit that frequently. As for death vocals, unless you actually CAN sing(Opeth), the cookie monster method is pretty useless, artless and often, embarrassing- giving metal a bad name. The only use I would ever have for the cookie monster effect would be if I had veins popping out of my neck in a seeing-red-only homicidal rage as I prepared to eviscerate my worst blood enemy. I wouldn't want something playing for art purposes; but because I was just gonna say fuck all and rip their guts out.

That said, sure there are different quality levels of growling. But that's like trying to be waited on by the hottest waitress at the Waffle House. I'd much rather go to a strip club and find the hottest farmer's daughter who's been the most neglected by her daddy, take her home and fuck her, and then later sit down to a real country breakfast that was made via a labor of love.

@razoredge

I just thought it was a little funny how you called growling style vocals talentless right before going into a story that consisted of your own dad calling the vocalists you listened to talentless.

Back when I was first getting into prog and metal (about the same time this thread was originally created actually) I was also the type that saw growling vocals as horrible and talentless. Later on I slowly started getting into bands that I liked the sound of, but had the growling vocals I hated (CoB for one example). I would put up with the vocals in order to enjoy the music; however, the more I listened, and the more bands I got into, the more I started to actually appreciate the vocals. I then started noticing that the growling vocals were pretty much their own instrument and I couldn't imagine the songs without them. There were also prog/death metal bands such as Into Eternity and Opeth that had clean and growling style vocals that helped me understand that growls can be used to great effect in convicting more aggressive emotions better. I am now at the point where I can really tell a difference between growls that are done good or bad. This shows me that growls aren't just simply screaming/talentless.

If you don't like growls then thats fine, its not your thing; however, I sure felt a little embarrased when I started liking them after calling them talentless myself.

My dad likes The Accolade. He mostly listens to 80s pop and 70s disco with some rock stuff like loverboy and journey. He likes Last In Line by Dio but rarely listens to it. He's usually singing along to Abba... and I also sing along to it to be honest. Abba is catchy!

Eh, my parents aren't exactly big music listeners. So the answer is no. I guess my mum likes some rock like Bruce Springsteen or Queen but doesn't really care enough to listen to actual albums. My dad propably only listens to radio.

All my siblings listen to good music tho.

You misunderstood, my father and the entire older generation said they were screaming and didnt get the point. Still those vocalists did apply scale tones, rhythm and expression.

That cookie monster crap is monotone, lathargically drawn out lacking any valuable rhythmic phrasing or dynamics. There is nothing that the music itself can offer me as I can find all the top shelf music I want that has top shelf vocalists. I dont and never did have much use for thrash vocalists either a few of them had merit but most was just hollaring garbage by some guitar player because face it there is more bands than there is good vocalists to fill the demand.

Besides songs like Blackwater Park and another Opeth song I now forget the name of, I have never suffered any furher than .5 to 1 minute into a black or death metal song to hear whats coming next, there is simply nothing going on that I cant find better done elsewhere.

My 21 year old daughters 52 year old father listens to Symphony X but progressive is not her cup of tea :D

Wow, the hate for harsh vocals still amazes me.

Is it less musical? yes definitely. Is it talentless noise? no it isn't.

I don't even see how this is true. Less musical, how? The only thing I can see is that it involves a reduced range, which doesn't make something less musical - harsh vocals are not necessarily even less melodic than clean ones. You take a band like Carcass that you just focused with a melodeath style and compare it to the clean vocals of many 80's thrash bands and there is actually more melody involved. And again, the whole melodic = musical thing to me is just bullshit in the first place.

Harsh vocals have their aesthetic uses...wanting to sound more desperate or guttural, for example. Or just the pure value of introducing new timbres for the sake of it (why assume the voice has to be limited to a particular set of styles?)

Now is anyone going to tell me 1) this song isn't awesome or that 2) it would be more appropriate without harsh vocals? Don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna form a band name "Cookie Monger" ;)

We are Metalcore!

Our new song: GIMME DA COOKIE!

----------------------------------

I WANNA DA COOOOOKKKKKIIIIEEE!! RRRRRRAAAWWWWRRRR!

CHUGACHUGACHUGA! OOOOHHH!!! RAWRRRRR!!!!

GIMME DA COOKIE!!!!!!!

*Distorted guitar solo*
*Bangs tin cans with some random screaching*

HHEEEYYY!
HHEEEYYY!
HHEEEYYY!
HHEEEYYY!

I WANT DA COOKIE!
RRRRRRRAAAWR!

GRRRRRRRR!!!
*Munches*