Does anyone have a leading contender for 2004 yet?

JayKeeley said:
Holy crapola! I just remembered that Wolverine's Cold Light of Monday was released this year!

That is a definite top 10 contender for sure. That was another Nate recommendation too.
Hate to add to the torture of endless revisions, but that's another 2003/04 discrepancy between stateside and European release...

To be honest, if I removed Blut Aus Nord and Wolverine from my end of year list, it would be pretty convenient...I'm sure I already have more than 10 potential entries.

In fact, we might as well have a category for "best 2003 albums not released in the US until 2004". That might resolve things for those of us in Yankville.

To me, this year has had some pretty good releases, such as the following:

Countess
Golem

I'm looking forward to the new releases by Arghoslent, Nokturnal Mortum, The Chasm and Vore.

That Golem is pretty good. At first I thought it was just standard death metal but there's a lot of cool stuff going on there.

Look for a review soon. :Spin:

CLOM is 2003 . Best of 2003 of course
For this year until now, my top 3 :
Witchcraft - s/t
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Lamented Souls - The Origin Of Misery
Ayreon is somewhere in the top 10 ... and by the end of the year the first prize will probably go to the new Fates Warning album.

NAD said:
That Golem is pretty good. At first I thought it was just standard death metal but there's a lot of cool stuff going on there.

Look for a review soon. :Spin:

I've been wanting to hear this.

IOfTheStorm said:
Witchcraft make you feel frustrated? o_O
I want more Witchcrafts. Music must be retro. Their feeling is the greatest.
Musically, Witchcraft is pretty good. They've 'explored' all sorts of retro sounds whether it be Zeppelin through to The Doors.

However, the vocals kill it. Yes, I'm picky, and if I find something on an album that just gets in the way I can usually let it go. But does every single line on the entire album have to be sung through that voicebox emulator thingy?

I mean, they took something relatively decent and just ruined it IMO. That's the frustration I feel because it prevents me from listening to it.

JayKeeley said:
Right now, I think I could place all the albums in any position from 1-10, and if it stays like this, I think I'm going to do away with ranking them this year. In other words, I may just list 10 albums with no ordering.
This will probably be how mine ends up now. I have about 10 kickass albums this year, but nothing completely mindblowing.

JayKeeley said:
Musically, Witchcraft is pretty good. They've 'explored' all sorts of retro sounds whether it be Zeppelin through to The Doors.

However, the vocals kill it. Yes, I'm picky, and if I find something on an album that just gets in the way I can usually let it go. But does every single line on the entire album have to be sung through that voicebox emulator thingy?

I mean, they took something relatively decent and just ruined it IMO. That's the frustration I feel because it prevents me from listening to it.
So I guess your not a big fan of Pentegram either then? I love the vox on the Witchcraft album personally.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
So I guess your not a big fan of Pentegram either then? I love the vox on the Witchcraft album personally.
The vocals are good. Well sung and melodious. It's the voicebox distortion 'thingy' I can't stand. It annoys me so much that I can't listen to the album, which is a real shame. If there was a mix where the vocals were just recorded straight into the mic, without being saturated in those synth effects, I would probably listen to this all the time.