Don't want Symphony X to get heavier....

Spellbound

Apr 5, 2003
Madrid - Spain
Visit site
Well, I don't like to be critic about one of my favorite bands... but, don't you think the new sound of the band is... far too heavy? I mean... where's the melody? where's the prog/symphonic factor? where's the keyboards/piano? Ok, we have "Accolade II", "Awakenings" and "The Oddysey", which are amazing, but... what about the others? I'm not very happy about that... I want Symphony X being themselves, not trying to sell more on the heavy metal business...

Do you share my thought? :loco:

Spellbound said:
Well, I don't like to be critic about one of my favorite bands... but, don't you think the new sound of the band is... far too heavy? I mean... where's the melody? where's the prog/symphonic factor? where's the keyboards/piano? Ok, we have "Accolade II", "Awakenings" and "The Oddysey", which are amazing, but... what about the others? I'm not very happy about that... I want Symphony X being themselves, not trying to sell more on the heavy metal business...

Really, about Symx being themselves... They are! Romeo has said that the band is just "Metal".. That is who they are.. I love the mix between their melodic/then heavy metal... You get best of both worlds that is what makes me come back for more.. So I was really happy w/the Odyssey!
IMO!!:p

Spellbound said:

This is total bullshit, Symphony X are themselves. They're not trying to sell more on the heavy metal business they just wanted to do somthing else than V and get back to their roots....Heavy Metal. But they are still symphony X. And what they say themselves, they aren't going in a new direction, they only made a heavier album. You should read a couple of intervieuws on their website were they explain everything. And i think that the odyssey is one of their best albums. And it is also bullshit that you can't hear melody, keyboards and the prog/symphonic factor. It is true that this album is a bit less prog and that you can't hear the keyboards so well on some songs but like i said, they are still Symphony X and they rule!

i like the fact that there album's are different and the odyssey is great but i kinda agree i liked V the best i had all there best elements(but i would like to see romeo go off on a solo like on there first couple cd's he seems to be saving his best licks, maybe for a solo cd

Spellbound said:
"Quit your bitchin".... "This is bullshit".... I would ask for a little respect about MY opinion
I know, i'm sorry, My reaction was a bit over the top. But it is especially about the I want Symphony X being themselves, not trying to sell more on the heavy metal business... - part. I think that is bull**** and it has nothing to do with an opinion because it is not true

Too heavy? :lol: sorry I had to laugh, no offense intended. Symphony X are a metal band, metal is about heaviness. The Odyssey is just one album, just wait until they make the next record.

This is not some kind of sellout. Symphony X are going back to their roots; when they were kids they listened to sabbath, metallica, standard heavy metal basically. Im sure well see all sorts of influences in future albums. No bands stay exactly the same forever, everyones albums progress into different areas so as to please different tastes of the different fans.

The odyssey is my joint favourite album anyways

I agree, Spellbound... I liked their less heavy, more classical stuff. I liked the almost constant vocal harmonies. They're heavy now, but I guess the last album was more "X" than "Symphony", if you know what I mean. :D

I love the Odyssey, though... Inferno just kicks my ass so hard, and Russel does the rough vocals very well.

As long as they're still good old SX, I'm happy, but I'd rather hear the less heavy stuff, myself.

Spellbound said:
"Quit your bitchin".... "This is bullshit".... I would ask for a little respect about MY opinion
Why, when you don't seem to respect the band's opinion about how they want to sound?

The Odyssey is my favorite CD of theirs. I loved the fact that they decided to go a little heavier. Helps to eliminate some of the slow, boring stuff.

I like both of the styles equally. When I first heard The Odyssey I was like, YES! Its Sym X but harder. Cause I like the rough vocals and screams.
They are just trying something new this time getting out of the ordinary. Wich I think is necessary to do every once in a while. And if there next album is harder or softer, as long as its Sympony X, I'm getting it.

I think the band's heavier sound on The Odyssey was intended to pull in a lot of new fans who are into heavy metal. I'm thrilled with it, really. Every new realease is a bit different, fresh and exciting to me. I'm looking forward to a new one, it will be somewhat different, I'm sure.
IMO, I think (overall) The Odyssey is just as brilliant as any of their others (well..with the exception of "V" which is a masterpiece of musical work :) )

"I think the band's heavier sound on The Odyssey was intended to pull in a lot of new fans who are into heavy metal."

This is what I think exactly. Just what I think. I don't understand all that attacks to my opinion. Can I write what's in my mind? Try not being so fanatic.... it will do you good. I was just trying to make a constructive critic about the new sound of the band.