Don't want Symphony X to get heavier....

Actually, I would likewise enjoy an album with really soaring keyboard parts, its just one of the many factors that just adds to the grandeur effect of prog-metal bands.

I don't really think there is a need to worry about SX turning into a heavy metal band, well if they did, it would be time to worry cuz they are the most notable prog-metal band around.

Still,Odessey was awesome, but, we just may well see an album where there might well be a foucs on the keyboard and the prog aspects, that is one thing I would without a doubt add to my collection.

Much agreed ... but it doesn't look like their looking into that field ... thankfully. If they ever gave up prog-metal I don't really wanna know what kind of state the music industry is moving to.

This is a tough topic, i think the Odyssey sounds great and thats fine. However, in the future, I want Symphony X's sound to start changing. There has been to much repitition, especially in the guitar sound. Im not complaining about any of Symph'spast releases, just as any good band does, it's time for Symphony X to release something a little different from the usual.

fortuneIL said:
This is a tough topic, i think the Odyssey sounds great and thats fine. However, in the future, I want Symphony X's sound to start changing. There has been to much repitition, especially in the guitar sound. Im not complaining about any of Symph'spast releases, just as any good band does, it's time for Symphony X to release something a little different from the usual.
Yes, because "V" and "The Oddysey" sound exactly the same... I think Symphony X does a great job of changing each album while still keeping their style.

OK, "V" is probably my favorite Symphony X album so far, but that isn't to say Odyssey was bad. I really like it. I have no problem with them going a little heavier on an album. I don't think that this is a permanent direction for them (from what I've heard." As far as I'm concerned, SymX is still one of the top bands around.

Any style of music Symphony X touches will turn to gold. Hell, their next album could be rap-rock, and it would be the best damn rap-rock album this world has ever seen.

arglebargle said:
Any style of music Symphony X touches will turn to gold. Hell, their next album could be rap-rock, and it would be the best damn rap-rock album this world has ever seen.

Now that was very wrong ... rap-rock is just about the wrong-est possible musical form possible:yuk: ... the term "musical" is being applied very loosely here ... rap-rock should just be called shit.:ill:

In any event, its quite an impossibility to think that even the hands of gods can turn "shit" into gold ... :yuk:

I really don't think SyX specifically intended to make a heavier album to appeal to a wider fan base. Even the heaviest songs on the Odyssey have the prog/classical influences that are unmistakable. If some metalhead doesn't like prog (at least the way SyX did it before The Odyssey), they aren't going to like them now. MJR has stated that the band made this album naturally, without intending to go heavier.

It's actually nice when a band says they're getting back to their roots and means it. I can't stand it when a band says that and they put out a shitty album. Thank God that's not SyX! And I don't think it will ever be.

Spellbound said:
"Quit your bitchin".... "This is bullshit".... I would ask for a little respect about MY opinion

Your opinion sucks. Symphony X is one of what, like 3 bands in the entire world that haven't yet released an album that made people's jaws drop to the ground mumbling "what the fuck...?"

Though I love Enchant, Symphony X has their own unique style that is prog-symphonic metal. I want metal, but I want prog-symphonic (like they've done in previous albums) too... it isn't so hard to understand...

Personally, I'd love to hear SyX release an album that is pretty much full blown neoclassical powermetal, just because the songs that they've written so far that ARE like that are the best in that genre Ive ever heard (Smoke and Mirrors, Out of the Ashes, Damnation Game, The Turning, etc)

And I know that people always lump SyX into the progressive metal crowd, but that always makes me cringe, since whenever a band calls themselves progressive that usually means songs that are long and complex for the sake of being long and complex, and Symphony X do NOT write songs like that (same reason why I hate calling Pain of Salvation progressive).

It's not so easy. I like metal, but Symphony X has their own style, more prog/symphonic... I don't want another DWOT or V, but I'd like more piano/keyboard parts and more prog elements like they did on the other albums.... not just heavy. I got worried when I heard "King of Terrors", but hey! I like a lot tracks like "The Oddysey", "Awakenings" or "Accolade II". They're 3 of the best songs that Symphony X have ever done.

Your opinion and I respect it, but you gotta keep in mind that this is only one album. Just wait until they release their next album.

By the way, I think Symphony X is more than metal. Prog-symphonic-metal would fit nice their style. I could say to you "if you want to hear metal, go listen to Hammerfall"

I hope that statement was a joke, i'm thinking that you were reffering to this line:

I agree. If they don't like heaviness then why are they listening to a metal band? they can always listen to classical, jazz or prog rock if they don't like it.

Your statement is irrelevant because Symphony X are a metal band and like I said before, if you don't like heaviness don't listen to them or wait for the next album.

1)If you read my post you'll see that I say that I like heaviness... but don't want to lose the prog-symphonic factor... Just that

2)Of course it was a joke... because it doesn't make sense the fact that you are asking me to stop listening to them. I like the mix of prog-symphonic elements and heaviness that Symphony X always had and I don't want "just heavy" tracks.