Don't want Symphony X to get heavier....

Yeah man, I hope they keep it heavy for the next album. Their heavy songs are some of their best - Of Sins and Shadows, Eyes of Medusa, Dressed to Kill, Inferno, King of Terrors...thats the shit I like to hear them do, along with the neoclassical songs like Out of the Ashes, Smoke and Mirrors, A Fools Paradise, etc. the longer, more "prog" songs are cool as a break (and they are also some of my fav SyX songs too), but for the most part I like to hear them keep it heavy, shreddy, and neoclassical! :devil:

Spellbound said:
Well, I don't like to be critic about one of my favorite bands... but, don't you think the new sound of the band is... far too heavy? I mean... where's the melody? where's the prog/symphonic factor? where's the keyboards/piano? Ok, we have "Accolade II", "Awakenings" and "The Oddysey", which are amazing, but... what about the others? I'm not very happy about that... I want Symphony X being themselves, not trying to sell more on the heavy metal business...

Do you share my thought? :loco:
well i do share you'r thought, but if it was again similar to v it could have been kind a' borin' no ? and we kind of know of thid record what is they limit on how darker and how havier they would go right ? :)

ok everybody just agree, symphony x always comes through with a kick ass record, heavy, prog whatever it is always better than anything else out

I like a lot the past heavy material of Symphony X like "Sea of Lies", "The Eyes of Medusa", "Smoke and Mirrors", "Dressed to Kill",... but they were more symphonic and more prog than the stuff they do now like "King of Terrors" and such things... I like heaviness but Symphony X are more than that, and I'm sure they can do better. You can hear it on "The Odyssey", "Awakenings" or "Accolade II".

IMHO, of course

I just think it was all a natural evolution. I may be the only one, but for some reason, after V, I just had a feeling Symphony X were bound to make an album that was a bit heavier than V, just as a way to move on from that album, and I loved how it turned out.

Actually I like Odessey a lot ... though it is somewhat more partial towards the heavy side ... but it is still a good album nonetheless.

On the bright side ... they are writing material that is their own, and not selling out. Which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of other bands.

V and DWOT are two of my favorite albums EVER, but i don't want another album like them. That's what makes them special. Symphony x will never stray from what they do, but they will bring in variation to their own style which keeps it fresh, interesting, fun, and fuckin' X man!!!

I don't think that The Odyssey is really a "different direction." Each release has pretty much included the range of what Symphony X is, but each one has placed the emphasis on a different element of their music.
I understand Spellbound's concern about Symphony X moving to a trendy heavy-and-nothing-else kind of sound, but I don't think that will happen. The heavier tunes on The Odyssey don't differ that much from the heavier tunes on previous releases. (In the overall approach, I mean.)
Everyone gets into Symphony X from different elements, though. Some from the softer, more traditionally progressive elements, and some from the harder, more shred-fest type elements. Naturally, there will be resistance to a focus on other aspects of the music.

And some of us think that Symphony X could play nursery rhymes and still be the best thing out there!

Hyoukinmono said:
I don't think that The Odyssey is really a "different direction." Each release has pretty much included the range of what Symphony X is, but each one has placed the emphasis on a different element of their music.
I understand Spellbound's concern about Symphony X moving to a trendy heavy-and-nothing-else kind of sound, but I don't think that will happen. The heavier tunes on The Odyssey don't differ that much from the heavier tunes on previous releases. (In the overall approach, I mean.)
Everyone gets into Symphony X from different elements, though. Some from the softer, more traditionally progressive elements, and some from the harder, more shred-fest type elements. Naturally, there will be resistance to a focus on other aspects of the music.

And some of us think that Symphony X could play nursery rhymes and still be the best thing out there!

I agree...actually despite what some people say, I still think DWoT gives The Odyssey a run for its money in terms of heaviness, especially with songs like Sins and Shadows and Eyes of Medusa.

I can always tell the guys that are coming more from the prog side cause they're always the ones that don't like it when SyX gets heavy. Same thing happens with Dream Theater. Personally I think if they dont like HEAVY songs then why are these people complaining when METAL bands are heavy? LOL thats the POINT of METAL!!! :headbang:

Reactions: Ultimate_Symphony
I can always tell the guys that are coming more from the prog side cause they're always the ones that don't like it when SyX gets heavy. Same thing happens with Dream Theater. Personally I think if they dont like HEAVY songs then why are these people complaining when METAL bands are heavy? LOL thats the POINT of METAL!!!
I agree. If they don't like heaviness then why are they listening to a metal band? they can always listen to classical, jazz or prog rock if they don't like it.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
I agree. If they don't like heaviness then why are the listening to a metal band? they can always listen to classical, jazz or prog rock if they don't like it.
well i agree with ya all, but SYX have they own style, sound, atmosphire and all that we love. and we the more "softer" side would all that to come out more symphonic and keyboared oriented.
that's my explanation.
any comments ?
but hey !!! Odyssey is far ..far .... far ..... away from dissapointment !! :headbang:

Yngvai X said:
I can always tell the guys that are coming more from the prog side cause they're always the ones that don't like it when SyX gets heavy. Same thing happens with Dream Theater. Personally I think if they dont like HEAVY songs then why are these people complaining when METAL bands are heavy? LOL thats the POINT of METAL!!! !:headbang:

I personally think that the lighter Dream Theater stuff is absolutely horrendous. Unless they are going full throttle in the metal department, they really suck in my opinion.

BastrdDrmr said:
I personally think that the lighter Dream Theater stuff is absolutely horrendous. Unless they are going full throttle in the metal department, they really suck in my opinion.

You mean shit like Anna Lee? Ya I hear ya, BLECH who would've thunk the same band that wrote A Change of Seasons wrote that peice of shit? :lol:

Isn't it a bit too soon worying about the future of SX? They do one record that is heavier than the previous and people start to think, "oh, they will go on like this forever, they will sell out, bla, bla, bla".
I understand you are still suffering from Metallica selling out and fear it will happend to your current favorite band, but Symphony X hasn't done anything wrong, yet. The Odyssey sound different from their other albums, that's good. If they do the next record exactly the same, THEN complain. They haven't done it yet.
I think you'll be glad in the future when you have ten SX CDs and you'll find they're all different.
Also, if you don't like the music, no one's forcing you to listen.

Well SyX are changing with every album which is good.
Unlike Rhapsody, Yngwie, Stratovarius, ..............

Ultimate_Symphony said:
I agree. If they don't like heaviness then why are they listening to a metal band? they can always listen to classical, jazz or prog rock if they don't like it.

It's not so easy. I like metal, but Symphony X has their own style, more prog/symphonic... I don't want another DWOT or V, but I'd like more piano/keyboard parts and more prog elements like they did on the other albums.... not just heavy. I got worried when I heard "King of Terrors", but hey! I like a lot tracks like "The Oddysey", "Awakenings" or "Accolade II". They're 3 of the best songs that Symphony X have ever done.

By the way, I think Symphony X is more than metal. Prog-symphonic-metal would fit nice their style. I could say to you "if you want to hear metal, go listen to Hammerfall" :p

Spellbound ... well since you pointed out that SX changes with each album, they may well eventually come out with an album that has a greater focus on the piano/keyboard areas. So just enjoy the current selection, afterall no one knows where any band is heading.

Yeah, of course. Don't you think I'm depressed or I'm thinking to commit a terrorist attack over the band hahaha
Just suggesting a discussion...

Well, it's certain that I wouldn't like to hear the next album as a " new Strato-Gamma Ray-Hammerfall" release, but I think it won't happen. Just want a turn into a bit more prog-symphonic style, like in other albums