Doom Metal

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
I am quite surprised no one has made one of these yet, I know I am not the only metalhead on these forums with a strong penchant for the depressing.

Few bands to kick it off,

Cryptal Darkness - They might not be the most original doom band on the planet but they do what they do well

Mournful Congregation - Slow, even by doom standards with no joke the deepest most tormented death growls you will ever hear.

Virgin Black - Ok, so at times they may be more 19th century classical then Doom but Doom fans will like it.

Mar De Grises - Only one album so far but it is absolutely outstanding.

Lacrimas Profundere - Will appeal to Katatonia fans.

Will add more later.

I love extreme doom. Bands that need to be mentioned:

Mourning Beloveth (most depressing band I've ever heard thus far)
Evoken
Esoteric
Arcane Sun
Wreck of the Hesperus
Forgotten Tomb
Despond
early Paradise Lost
early Bethlehem
Winter
Ras Algethi
Shape of Despair
Void of Silence
Cultus Sanguine
Daylight Dies

thanks to the people that recommended Process of Guilt and Indescenence. Great bands.

i do like Lacrimas Profundere's old albums -especially 'memorandum'- but look at them now..:erk:

Lacrimas's newer albums are not that bad. I like them but I like rock music.

As far as Worship go, all I have of their material is a split 7" which I bought for Mournful Congregation. I have not actually managed to really find any of their other material, its not easy to come by. As far as their music goes, its underground doom at its purest, from what I have heard its quite good. From what I know of the band they have a bit of a cult following (didn't their lead singer kill himself?).

@Rumpole: You don't agree the vocals are tormented? I certainly hear a bucket-load of anguish and depression in them and they are as deep as death growls get.

I'm not saying that I don't here a certain amount of emotion in the vocals, but for me, it's the music itself that conjures up the sense of depression, anguish etc. They just don't seem to be particulary distinctive, but whatever, that's just me.

Evoken(specifically 'embrave the emptiness' regardlesss enjoying all their material)
Shape of Despair
Cathedral
Candlemass
Solitude Aeturnus
Painful Memories
Katatonia(older)
Daylight Dies
My Dying Bride(older)
Paradise Lost(older)
Theatre of Tragedy(first 2)
Black Sabbath
Saint Vitus
Draconian
Melvins(older and middle)
Reverend Bizarre
Trouble
October Tide

I suppose this is as good a time as any to ask...

I'm looking to go a bit deeper into the Funeral Doom genre, as I've hardly scratched the surface. I don't intend to go particularly deep however. What I'm looking for is that absolute cream of the crop bands that are below the surface, particularly those that are on the heavier side. The only bands that I've previously heard before are the major players in Thergothon, Skepticism, and Mournful Congregation. I listened to the song on Ahab's myspace page yesterday and thought it was quite good, so anything else like that would be appreciated. Once again, I don't need just a massive list of Funeral Doom bands, I just want to know the absolute best of what I don't have, though I suspect that I already have the best.

Skepticism is the best. Maybe try cult band Hierophant. Until Death Overtakes Me is quite good. Their latest has been getting positive reviews, though I haven't heard it. I've been told old Funeral is very good.

Some that I found boring were Pantheist, Tyranny, and Shape of Despair.

Monolithe - Monolithe I is a pretty good funeral album I think. Also, Worship. But I suspect you've heard them already.

But for me, Thergothon and Skepticism are still the best I've heard.

Lacrimas's newer albums are not that bad. I like them but I like rock music.

As far as Worship go, all I have of their material is a split 7" which I bought for Mournful Congregation. I have not actually managed to really find any of their other material, its not easy to come by. As far as their music goes, its underground doom at its purest, from what I have heard its quite good. From what I know of the band they have a bit of a cult following (didn't their lead singer kill himself?).

@Rumpole: You don't agree the vocals are tormented? I certainly hear a bucket-load of anguish and depression in them and they are as deep as death growls get.

yes he did, but how he did it was a matter of debate. some websites say he shot himself, others say he jumped off a bridge.

I didn't notice anyone mention Shroud of Bereavement. I love that band. They are a full on doom metal orchestra.

Another band I recently discovered is called Sabachthani from Sweden. I have a review of their album on www.metal-mayhem.co.uk. Total MDB worship.

Averunus put out a demo called "Sadness" Awesome doom with synthetic violins. Very cool doom from the Midwest.

And last and not least, you can't forget Candlemass. Some of their shit gets under my skin it's so tragic.

Skepticism is the best. Maybe try cult band Hierophant. Until Death Overtakes Me is quite good. Their latest has been getting positive reviews, though I haven't heard it. I've been told old Funeral is very good.

Some that I found boring were Pantheist, Tyranny, and Shape of Despair.

I've wanted some Hierophant for quite some time. What do you think about the last Shape of Despair?

I suppose this is as good a time as any to ask...

I'm looking to go a bit deeper into the Funeral Doom genre, as I've hardly scratched the surface. I don't intend to go particularly deep however. What I'm looking for is that absolute cream of the crop bands that are below the surface, particularly those that are on the heavier side. The only bands that I've previously heard before are the major players in Thergothon, Skepticism, and Mournful Congregation. I listened to the song on Ahab's myspace page yesterday and thought it was quite good, so anything else like that would be appreciated. Once again, I don't need just a massive list of Funeral Doom bands, I just want to know the absolute best of what I don't have, though I suspect that I already have the best.

Look for the re-release of the band "Funeral"'s first Demo and Album, the album not so much, but the demo is by far the most depressing thing ever recorded, it literally started the genre, it is the deathcrush of extreme doom.