Doom Metal

I haven't heard enough drone doom to give an opinion on it. I borrowed and uploaded Black One from a friend about a month ago and keep putting off listening to it. I guess it's because I think it will be boring, but I can't know for sure until I listen to it in an appropriate context.

Well, point me in the right direction.

Start with Blackone or 00 Void by Sunn 0))) or Feedbacker by Boris and move your way into the other bands that are within the genre such as Teeth Of The Lions Rule Divine or Burial Chamber Trio. Make sure you are in the right mind frame also and keep the volume level high. And enjoy

I haven't heard enough drone doom to give an opinion on it. I borrowed and uploaded Black One from a friend about a month ago and keep putting off listening to it. I guess it's because I think it will be boring, but I can't know for sure until I listen to it in an appropriate context.

Studying,reading or about to sleep.

Personally, I find drone incredibly uninteresting, even for its expressed purpose of instilling dread. The closest I get to ambient is Mortiis (early material) and Lustmord.

Lustmord are fucking great. All I have from him is "Heresy", but I sure need more of his stuff. I would rather listen to stuff like that instead of Drone-Doom anyday, although it's very different in delivery. I like Dark Ambient, but I'm still at the point with it where I feel it necessary to own a bunch of Dark Ambient albums.

I agree totally, I own 70+ dark ambient albums while only ~5 (guitar) drone albums. Dark ambient does everything drone wants but does it right. :)

Dark Ambient > Drone Doom

I meant to say I'm still at the point with Dark Ambient where I don't feel it's necessary to own a bunch of Dark Ambient albums. Maybe it will be a breakthrough genre for me one day, but I still love it when I pop it on. In Slaughter Natives & Sephiroth are fucking great as well, but Lustmord is my favorite.

I know we're getting off topic, but it's cool to see dark ambient love! Hopefully everyone's heard Atrium Carceri (creepy industrial dark ambient loops) and Desiderii Marginis (plaintive melancholic dark ambient).

Man, I always forget just how amazing Dolorian is. Their self-titled release is one of the most oppressive albums ever.

Listen you fucking cunts. You need to get hold of some Wandering Midget. Fo' sho. THis is some rawly produced, old skool doom in the vein of The Obsessed and Reverend Bizarre, referencing the early works of Witchfinder General. Utterly, utterly excellent, and were it not for the formidable Electric Wizard, the Doom release of the year.

Me ;) because Electric Wizard is only the second best this year. Reverend Bizarre takes the number one doom release of the year - and overall best album.

Ah. poor old Mort. So nearly right on this one. No, RB isn't anywhere near the sheer return to excellence that EW have experienced.

BTW, isn,t that Jam video a bit of a...well....you know, troll bait ?

Electric Wizard is fucking gay, and The Wandering Midget is nothing special. There are far too many shitty little Doom Metal bands popping up these days now that it's becoming popular.

Reverend Bizarre did something really special I think with III: So Long Suckers. They took their two different styles from In The Rectory and II: Crush The Insects and managed to fuse them together flawlessly. III is probably one of the best albums I've ever heard. It slaughters everything I've heard this year including my beloved Pain of Salvation :D

Witchcult Today however I'll admit is absolutely amazing and definitely their best since Dopethrone. If Rev. Biz. didn't do anything this year it would certainly have been the best album of the year.

And I don't know, probably but certainly not as much as the Johnny McGovern - Lookin' Cute, Feelin' Cute one was that I had for a while.

EDIT:

Nec shut it, your unwarranted stoner doom hate is annoying as fuck.

Electric Wizard is fucking gay, and The Wandering Midget is nothing special. There are far too many shitty little Doom Metal bands popping up these days now that it's becoming popular.

Yeah, can't move for garage doom bands now. Fuck, I even saw E! 100 top low-rent doom bands this morning.

EW is not fucking gay you black metal fellating homo-trix.