Doom Metal

We all know about you and your silly opinions hardly anyone agrees with. :p

It is your right to believe in whatever you believe in, However, I would advise against expressing such opinions with regard to what others think, or using your standards to judge how other people assess the genre.

I also don't think this is really the right way to see the situation:

Doomcifer said:
Please dont let this thread go into that terrain.

You presented you admittedly minority opinion first; you would be the one bringing it into that terrain anyway.

We all know about you and your silly opinions hardly anyone agrees with. :p

It is your right to believe in whatever you believe in, However, I would advise against expressing such opinions with regard to what others think, or using your standards to judge how other people assess the genre.

I also don't think this is really the right way to see the situation:

You presented you admittedly minority opinion first; you would be the one bringing it into that terrain anyway.

Uh, to people who have actually been around, growing up on this stuff since the 70's and 80's, actually seeing it all happen, it is the majority of opinion. I wouldn't expect a board where the average age is 18 to understand this. And by that I mean no offense.

I'm only 27 years and got into the UG stuff in the 90's but the people I converse with who are actually within the "scene" and are much older know what they are talking about. I've done my research.

Yeah I know. It's just that some threads deserve to be locked and placed in glass cases for the world to see as shining examples of threads that DIDN'T degenerate into crappy arguments after a decent conclusion was found! :p

A lot of threads have arguments started in them & remain open. Moderation here at least in the GM Forum just seems to let people say whatever the fuck they want, so of course there will be plenty of arguments here. Someone's going to try to to start an argument with me now for saying that, watch. It's all 15 year old kid mentality shit.

The only thing I see here is people arguing for having varying opinions. It's like people confuse facts for opinions. A semi-intelligent person should always be able to tell the difference between a fact & an opinion. If I say I hate/like a band that's an opinion. If I say Thrash Metal was originated in India in 1901 that would be a false fact. It's a simple concept that a lot of people do not understand.

If you don't want people to argue in your threads the first thing you have to do is realize what I'm saying & try to do something about it, otherwise people will always troll these boards looking to piss people off. When two people argue over something they're passionate about it's a good chance that a conclusion will not be found.

Doom Metal = Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Reverend Bizarre, Pentagram, etc.
DEATH/DOOM METAL (NOT true Doom Metal) = Dusk (US), Winter, Sorrow, Divine Eve, Runemagick, etc.
Funeral Doom = Thergothon, Skepticism + inferior bands

When one says "Doom Metal," one is supposed to mean DOOM METAL. If you want to talk about early UK bands, you should be using the term Death/Doom, because it's not true Doom Metal, but a derivation of the original style.

They're all styles of the same genre. Doom is heavy, slow (usually) music with an emphasis on a desolate or punishing atmosphere (even Sabbath and Pentagram to a lesser extent did this). Just like old-school death metal is a style of death metal, and symphonic black metal is a style of black metal, so is, say, doom/death a style of doom metal. Of course it's not true old-school doom. That's implicit. But in the BM thread, we can discuss symph and melodic black, in the DM thread, we discuss tech, brutal, and old-school...we should definitely be able to discuss the various DERIVATIONS of doom here. Semantics argument much?

Regardless, of course there's a delineation. But it is backpedaling and really annoyingly particular to have to start threads called "FUNERAL DOOM METAL" and "DEATH/DOOM." Then again, Nick and I do have the brutal/slam thread...so, maybe not. Thoughts? I believe it should be allowed, but not required. It should just be specified when brought up that, when you say My Dying Bride, you mean gothic/death doom, not "true" doom metal.

It's really fucking annoying to try to discuss Doom Metal with the 4 people who actually know what it is and then be bombarded with other bullshit from people who don't know what the hell Doom Metal was before the advent of extreme metal, so no, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to have a separate thread. After all, I think Candlemass and Runemagick and Thergothon are further apart from each other than say Burzum, Limbonic Art, and Nortt.

Yea, but it crazy to say drone is not rooted or even related to doom metal. I am okay if people dont have the interest it and dot want to discuss it, but it is crazy to say it is not doom. It is a evolution of the genre the same way that black metal has evolved from the thrash sounds of Venom to the modern sounds of Deathspell Omega,Blut Aus Nord,Katharsis and Wolves In The Throne. I support V5 is saying we should be able to discuss sub-genres of doom like we do in the black metal page or death metal page. Am I right here?

How in bloody hell does drone have anything remotely to do with doom metal? It doesn't AT ALL. Two completely different types of music. I wouldn't even call drone music, but thats another debate.

There is absolutely no correlation between drone and doom. I dont understand what people don't get about it.

How in bloody hell does drone have anything remotely to do with doom metal? It doesn't AT ALL. Two completely different types of music. I wouldn't even call drone music, but thats another debate.

There is absolutely no correlation between drone and doom. I dont understand what people don't get about it.

No correlation?

Drone and Doom are slow and use the same idea of bass heavy,massive riffs?

Same long and slow doomy sound.

Drone takes the sound of doom a bit farther and a minimalist mentality.

V5 help me. You are better with words.