Doom Metal

Um...My Dying Bride did gothic doom death earlier and to a much more forlorn, emotional and challenging extent than STS did.
Okay,I'll give you that but that dosen't mean a band that has similarites to a band that has been playing for a longer period of time can't execute well writen songs. The difference I see in MDB and StS is MDB is a lot less melancholy and emotive and StS dosen't sound as dark and hopless.

well, considering i reviewed Hope for UM, I'm familiar with that album.
It's a very good album imo,but I will say you have to be in the right mind set for that style of doom/death. You can't really be all happy,clappy and be able to enjoy the misery that ensues.

The primary kind of misery that ensues while listening to Swallow the Sun is a product of how bad they are at making music, and not an intentional negative atmosphere.

The secondary kind is the misery you feel for the band members, a kind of pity for them having to endure making such horrible music...and a pity for them possibly actually liking it. Pure sorrow.

The primary kind of misery that ensues while listening to Swallow the Sun is a product of how bad they are at making music, and not an intentional negative atmosphere.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
The secondary kind is the misery you feel for the band members, a kind of pity for them having to endure making such horrible music...and a pity for them possibly actually liking it. Pure sorrow.
:lol:

Since My Dying Bride keeps popping up in the convorsation, has anyone heard For Lies I Sire? I haven't heard one track from it. I thought about getting it as a blind buy, but decided not too. I did that with their last one, and only listened to it like 4 times. I didn't think it sucked or anything, maybe it just didnt click with me, but I didn't feel compelled to listen to it over and over. Perhaps I'll pop it in again soon.

Then if it's not intentional that means it's not forced which in turn means it's natural. Go listen to the song Doomed to Walk the Earth if you think they're null of atmosphere. Don't reply to me unless you actualy listen to something before judging.

:lol:

Since My Dying Bride keeps popping up in the convorsation, has anyone heard For Lies I Sire? I haven't heard one track from it. I thought about getting it as a blind buy, but decided not too. I did that with their last one, and only listened to it like 4 times. I didn't think it sucked or anything, maybe it just didnt click with me, but I didn't feel compelled to listen to it over and over. Perhaps I'll pop it in again soon.

I just picked For Lies I Sire yesterday but I haven't cracked it open yet. The only songs I've heard are the edits on their myspace. A Line of Deathless Kings is a really good album,it's one of those albums you have to listen to a number of times before you can really appreciate it. By the way,they brought back the violin once again on the new album.

Anyone here like catacombs? And how about ahab, new album coming from them soon. They are both funeral doom, but that's still considered doom on these forums right?

Haven't listened to Ahab, but I didn't really like Catacombs. They sounded really stale to me for some reason. I may go listen to a few Ahab songs on myspace.

Are any of The Gathering's albums worth getting? Mandylion seems to have good reviews on M-A, but I'm still hesitant, can anyone help me out here. Also, which Mourning Beloveth should I pick up first?