Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Symphony X have more balls than DT. Then again, SyX tend to get formulaic in their songwriting at times, whereas DT is more versatile there...

The Stormbringer said:
Which album(s) did you listen to, then? I can´t imagine anybody in his/her right mind not liking "Images and Words" or "Awake"... :erk:

LaBrie's vocals turn a lot of people off. I think he's a great vocalist, but he gets on the annoying side occasionally, and his voice lacks emotion (in my opinion).

MorphineChild205 said:
LaBrie's vocals turn a lot of people off. I think he's a great vocalist, but he gets on the annoying side occasionally, and his voice lacks emotion (in my opinion).

Yeah, that applies with me. I really like Dream Theater, but I like them for the instrumental parts, not those piano/vocal moments that just seem to drag on.

The Stormbringer said:
I actually liked this "rough" voice of his, if you can call it that, very much...

I also did, and especialy when he sing on Peruvian Skies; "i swear it gonna murder that poor kid", he`s voice rocks when he sings that. He also does great vocals on Trial of Tears! :headbang:

when he says "war inside my head!" that one time where its dubbed in and the band is playing two bars of chorus before 2nd verse, he sounds pretty wicked, also his vocals in voices and the caught in a new millenium combo track on the dvd sound good too, maybe a couple of points on change of seasons, other than that his vocals just serve as another melody over the guitar and keys that would sound better if someone else sang em, some like, hmmmmm, idk, Russell Allen? (Always been a dream of mine. Could you imagine DT with Russell, damn that would be awsome.)

Labrie did have great vocal range once. I remember hearing him sing some of the tracks on WDADU live, his emotion on the Killing Hand from Live At the Marquee EP was pretty amazing.

They should have re-recorded that album with James on vocals, if it weren't for the ownership issues.

Ok then, he does have a good clean vocal from time to time, but his "rough" voice in "The Great Debate" for example(just had to bring this song up again, which is a worst by the way)REALLY sounds stupid and annoying.

I think LaBries best "rough" vocals are in the beginning verse of Take the Time, in my opinion, the best DT song ever made. But even though those vocals are LaBrie's best, my favorite part of that song is still the instrumental part.

Yeah, the vocals in Take the Time are pretty awesome. I like his vocals at all times though. Maybe it's because I have been listening to DT since Images and Words came out and they have grown on me, who knows. I still don't know why some people can't stand his voice.......I fucking love it. Everyone who talks shit about his voice needs to here Charlie, DT's first singer. :lol: