Dream Theater - Train of Thought

In my opinion my it all sucked, though judging from the songs i`ve heard, As I Am is really bottom of the barrel. Dream Theater certainly sounds like a mixture of nu-metal and Metallica on the whole As I Am song, which is truly sad from a band which i used to think was capable of making much better music than this. Worst song of 2003 as of yet is definitely As I Am........ :cry:

Five songs over ten minutes...if not for Six Degrees I would be ecstatic over that fact, but now I'm a bit wary...I've only listened to one of the samples as I hate thirty-second excerpts. I have heard that the complete version of As I Am is better, but since the edit is the body of the song, that's hardly encouraging...

shredmaster said:
In my opinion my it all sucked, though judging from the songs i`ve heard, As I Am is really bottom of the barrel. Dream Theater certainly sounds like a mixture of nu-metal and Metallica on the whole As I Am song, which is truly sad from a band which i used to think was capable of making much better music than this. Worst song of 2003 as of yet is definitely As I Am........ :cry:

I think you got it almost all wrong.

Remember when King of Terrors was released and some people (including me) were worried that the whole album would sound that way? Just keep that in mind while listening to As I Am and the totally meaningless 30-second samples.

RequiemX said:
Remember when King of Terrors was released and some people (including me) were worried that the whole album would sound that way? Just keep that in mind while listening to As I Am and the totally meaningless 30-second samples.

What was wrong with King of Terrors? I wish SyX did more songs like that...

[QUOTE='Shuggah]Some of the samples sounded good, others not that good, but still not bad. I think I'll be one of the few [/SIZE] to run to the record store on 10.11. anyway. :D[/QUOTE]

I don't think it would be few, the whole Mike Portnoy forum is so excited that they sure would have done anything to get the album now! :)
But sure, im also going to get the album the day it's released.

After hearing sound samples on the German website, Stream of Consciousness is the best on the album. The song sounds very similar Metallica's Orion. DT needs to write more groove oriented LTE-type instrumentals like this one to make a great record overall.

Endless Sacrifice & Vacant are probably like the weakest songs. I hate it when Labrie goes into ballad mode like he did on Blind Faith & title track for Six Degrees.

[QUOTE='Shuggah]I just noticed; Isn't it funny that a thread about Dream Theater's new album gets the fifth most replies ever on a Symphony X board? :D[/QUOTE]
Yes indeed :) A lot of people here were bitching about DT not so long ago..

Bitching about DT is inevitable as they tend to polarize many of their listeners. It's something one quickly learns to either tolerate, actively participate in, or ignore on just about any type of metal forum, and with the release of TOT less than two weeks away, both this thread and the negativity aren't going away anytime soon.

This is not meant as a slam on DT or their detractors, but I wouldn't complain about this thread, especially since the debates have remained fairly civil so far...

Yeah, that's weird. On the other boards, it would have been at name-calling and flame-throwing already.

The people on this board really are pretty cool.