DT and SymphonyX. Where is the rivalry?

i'm pretty sure the rivalry is derived from the fans and is essentially non-existant between the bands themselves....

It actually started cause MJR said to a friend that Portnoy looked like a hairy lesbian on the back of the Images and Words cd cover....word got back to MP and it began....Portnoy said in an interview that MJR sounds sounds like a cross between Yngwie and Brian May and looks like he ate both of them too.

It actually started cause MJR said to a friend that Portnoy looked like a hairy lesbian on the back of the Images and Words cd cover....word got back to MP and it began....Portnoy said in an interview that MJR sounds sounds like a cross between Yngwie and Brian May and looks like he ate both of them too.

:lol:

i'm pretty sure the rivalry is derived from the fans and is essentially non-existant between the bands themselves....

I completely agree that the rivalry is derived entirely from the fans. When you have two bands at the peak of virtuosity like these two, it just tends to happen that people wind up in that inevitable debate of 'who is better' first with themselves and then with others. It is a natural human tendency to compare things that are similar and evaluate which one is better. And while in art we love to profess that it all comes down to 'just a matter of taste' there is always that underlying reality that to some extent there are objective standards to judge even art on (one may say DT and SX cannot be compared, but he would certainly admit that there is a very real difference between a 'good' song and a 'bad' song, that can to some degree be quantified and explained). Personally, I think the DT/SX rivalry is a compliment to both bands - to have ascended to that level of virtuosity in play and composition that people will adamantly fight with others just to proclaim your superiority is flattering even if not truly warranted. We all know a little healthy competition can push us to excel more than we ever thought possible because everyone possesses a natural drive to 'be the best' and by competing with similarly talented individuals we are forced to push the envelope further. The only time the rivalry is really detrimental is when someone sides with one band so adamantly he completely dismisses the other one as crap (not really due to taste but simply due to excessive allegiance). All that results in is that person missing out on a bunch of great music.

You know what Symphony X and Dream Theater should do ? They should come out with a collaborative behemoth cd, with only 1 track that is 60 minutes long, and in this one track they should completely duel each other.. through shredding, vocals, bass, drumming, and keyboards ! It would be a massive battle cd called "The Supreme Battle of the Century". Then we would truly know who is superior ! The cd would sell to millions of people ! There would be epic arguments on forums worldwide to who truly won the battle !

i stand corrected.

Personally, I think the DT/SX rivalry is a compliment to both bands - to have ascended to that level of virtuosity in play and composition that people will adamantly fight with others just to proclaim your superiority is flattering even if not truly warranted. We all know a little healthy competition can push us to excel more than we ever thought possible because everyone possesses a natural drive to 'be the best' and by competing with similarly talented individuals we are forced to push the envelope further.

To compliment this, I would say that the fan rivally actually promotes both bands. I know I heard of symphony x from the now extinct DT forum. people talking about how MJR or JP could shred one or the other's face off. Of course DT is the more exposed band, so SX would stand to benefit more from it.

As for quanitifying who is better... i think MJR can play more notes per second than JP so SX is clearly better.

You know what Symphony X and Dream Theater should do ? They should come out with a collaborative behemoth cd, with only 1 track that is 60 minutes long, and in this one track they should completely duel each other.. through shredding, vocals, bass, drumming, and keyboards ! It would be a massive battle cd called "The Supreme Battle of the Century". Then we would truly know who is superior ! The cd would sell to millions of people ! There would be epic arguments on forums worldwide to who truly won the battle !
way to prog it up. :lol: heh.

at the end of the day, I seriously don't care because neither Dream Theater nor Symphony X are the best band around, not even close.

way to prog it up. :lol: heh.

at the end of the day, I seriously don't care because neither Dream Theater nor Symphony X are the best band around, not even close.

and who is the best band around and what uber-complex untra nerd multi-integer calculus algorythms lead you to your conclusion?

if youve been listening to doom metal, try out callisto, they win at doom metal.

my bro was tellin me about that pirate metal, what are they called "bucaneer" or somethin lol.

my bro was tellin me about that pirate metal, what are they called "bucaneer" or somethin lol.

You're probably thinking of Battleheart. They have a forum here. Running Wild came before them though. There are a few bands of the style, but they all pretty much suck IMO. It's a gimmick. You could argue the same with folk metal, but to me folk metal is much more relevant. Personal opinion though.