DT's Train of Thought ultimately kicked Opeth out of my mind

Sengir*Buendia

Baron of Macondo
Finally it happened...
It had been a while since I last listened to Opeth. I just didn't have interest in them anymore...
On the other hand my obsession with Dream Theater grew exponentially as the release date for ToT approached! And at each listen, I found them more brilliant. I've finally grabbed Train of Thought and I'm breathless!!!!! It's INSANE :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: I look back to Deliverance/Damnation and cry, for Opeth had been once a godly band. Now it's just dust in the shelf.... Interesting that musical taste is always evolving. I used to dig Cradle of Filth, Theatre of Tragedy, Dimmu, Tristania, Therion, Arcturus and such... Hehehe, each one of those were already my "favorite band of all time"!! The actual one is definitely DT.

This thread is supposed to be either about Train of Thought (though I only expect DT bashing here) or about musical taste (this one an interesting theme!).
Thanx!

wow, very ironically, i was coming here to make a post about how i dl'ed two dream theater albums today, and i'm fucking blown away. i had only heard about 5 tracks about a year ago, and wasn't too impressed. today however, i d'l'ed scenes from a memory and falling into infinity and am amazed. i love it.

Dont remove it....its nice to have something else to talk about then how Metallica sucks and Extol t-shirts :)

I think the new cd is also amazing and i love it....Dt has met my expectations but all this talk about Deliverance/Damnation being dust on the shelves is just wrong, Dream Theater used to be my fav band until Opeth came along....Opeth will forever be the best band ever \m/

Fuck you guys. This board is slow enough as it is. Don't be thread-Nazis. It's not like it has nothing to do with Opeth. There's at least room for a little comparison. Better than another "What does Opeth mean?" or "Check out my band" thread.

I'll be getting ToT on Tuesday. I can't wait.

EDIT: After reading this thread, none of you whiners have more than a few posts. Don't come in here and bash people if you've only been here a month or so.

Reactions: ggggggu
MasterOLightning said:
Fuck you guys. This board is slow enough as it is. Don't be thread-Nazis. It's not like it has nothing to do with Opeth. There's at least room for a little comparison. Better than another "What does Opeth mean?" or "Check out my band" thread.

I'll be getting ToT on Tuesday. I can't wait.

EDIT: After reading this thread, none of you whiners have more than a few posts. Don't come in here and bash people if you've only been here a month or so.

Who gives a shit. It obviously means this guy thinks DT is now Gods and Opeth is utter shit. You think Mikael would really be happy about this thread? come on dude

Pfft, we're not here to keep our discussions strictly to what Mikael would be happy with. You don't have to post here. Go away.

I haven't heard the new DT album yet but I'm really really excited about it, As I Am slowly grew on me. Six Degrees was good but it came after their greatest ever album (Scenes) and kinda took a back seat.

I really enjoy DT's music - a lot actually - but LaBrie's vocals just kill it for me. I find him to be simply unlistenable - especially on "Awake". He's just too over-the-top with the awful high-pitched yelling.
I'm still amazed that such a talented group of musicians hired him....it just doesn't make sense.

The other thing which always place's DT as "pretenders" in my view is the overwrought 'fake emotion'. These guys just try - and always seem to fail - at bringing true emotion to the table.

Oh well, with all of that being said, disc 1 of 6 Degrees is pretty damned good!

Reactions: Judas Pissed
I began with DT , now I can't stand them , they're terrible . Awful .

some people love to yap!

Opeth have unfortuanatly also taken a place on my shelf as i'm listening to more and more Primordial and stuff of late.
Anyone who doesn't know who they are and likes good metal must buy Storm before Calm, i'ts amazing.
I also used to like CoF, funny how you can completely change your opinion isn't it?

Primordial rules especially Storm Before Calm and Spirit The Earth Aflame ( I still don't have their second album called 'Journey's End'). I'd like to see them touring with Opeth .

I was also amazed by those morons' (thread-nazis was great!!!!) stupidity. My thread was obviously NOT ONLY about DT's ToT. Anyone able to READ should see that (I couldn't be more clear).

For who hasn't checked it yet: YES, IT IS AWESOME.

Opeth's forum has been really boring lately, and about the rumors on the new album, I'm definitely NOT excited about a new growling-based extreme album... Instead it should be based on melodies, harmonies and EMOTIONAL vocal work. A modern Morningrise should be really interesting (they should solo more often too...)

SoundMaster said:
I really enjoy DT's music - a lot actually - but LaBrie's vocals just kill it for me. I find him to be simply unlistenable - especially on "Awake". He's just too over-the-top with the awful high-pitched yelling.
I'm still amazed that such a talented group of musicians hired him....it just doesn't make sense.

The other thing which always place's DT as "pretenders" in my view is the overwrought 'fake emotion'. These guys just try - and always seem to fail - at bringing true emotion to the table.

Oh well, with all of that being said, disc 1 of 6 Degrees is pretty damned good!

I agree with all of that actually. A few years ago I really liked LaBrie so now I don't mind him which is good because the band is great.

They shouldn't even bother trying to bring emotion to the lyrics...they usually fail quite badly...Kevin Moore was the only one that managed to pull it off - Space Dye Vest is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.