DT's Train of Thought ultimately kicked Opeth out of my mind

No it's not bullshit and I know it. DT used to be one of my favourite bands and although I don't listen to them as much I still really really like them.

Soooooo many parts on ToT sound like they've been ripped STRAIGHT from Megadeth. James even puts on a Dave Mustaine voice! Do you need to be whacked over the head with the CD to hear it and get the connection? I love DT and am ashamed that they sunk that low.

Right on. The similarity is so blatant. When he says, "Don't cross the crooked step," that's straight out of something Megadeth would do. And the singing is not the main problem here. Bad production is the nail in the coffin. The production was flawless on the last few albums, but it sucks here.

Do you get the significance of "dont cross the crooked step"? And how can you call something a rip-off when it's not even something the other band has done. Saying "it sounds like something Megadeth would do" is stupid, coz you could say that about any band and noone would be original.

Hm...I'm not really bothered by any of the "ripping" from other bands since I don't realize any of it. :p
Of course As I Am for example sounds much like early Metallica but whatever,it sounds good and it's not like they've just stolen a whole riff from here and there and put it on their album.
I can still listen to Norther's Dead with pleasure although the first riff sounds like a complete Bullet Ride rip-off and the bridge keyboard parts are totally like out of a Maiden song. So fucking what? It's impossible to even know if they ripped it or not cause everything can be done differently only so many times.

Shouldn't you rather just judge the music itself and not its influences?
It's decent.

plattopus said:
Do you get the significance of "dont cross the crooked step"? And how can you call something a rip-off when it's not even something the other band has done. Saying "it sounds like something Megadeth would do" is stupid, coz you could say that about any band and noone would be original.

No - this is different. It's so insanely just ripped straight from Megadeth. Bah, if you don't get it now you'll never get it. There's a difference between influence and plagiarism.

And yes, I can judge it only on the music. The music is average but I'm liking it more. They should have called the album "Trying To Be Heavy". As a big Dream Theater fan I understand they want to explore new ground (for the band, obviously this music isn't particularly original) and I'm slowly liking the CD more. It's just that the blatant rip-offs drag it down a lot. And, as MasterOLightning said, the bad production isn't helping things.

This is growing on me but I guess I just expect more from a band that has proven they're better than recycled heavy riffs.

I guess compared to the new Nevermore production it isn't so bad but it just sounds raw and dirty...could be a lot better but now it's cool to sound raw and dirty. And with a band so obviously "influenced" by Metallica...

Ok, ok, I'll stop.

Sengir*Buendia said:
THANKS TO ALL PAIN OF SALVATION ADVISORS OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!
I downloaded Remedy Lane and it grabbed in the very first listen!!! I still can't believe my own ears. Can't wait to get all their discography ASAP!
BRILLIANT PROG!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting into the 2nd best band ever, just after Opeth :D Thier best album is imo The Perfect Element pt.1

I like ToT , although is not groundbreaking as other albums , but it's amazing .

Sengir*Buendia said:
THANKS TO ALL PAIN OF SALVATION ADVISORS OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!
I downloaded Remedy Lane and it grabbed in the very first listen!!! I still can't believe my own ears. Can't wait to get all their discography ASAP!
BRILLIANT PROG!!!!!!!!!!!
Yay!