DVD - sorry, not so good now.

Well the most dissapointing thing about the dvd (Apart from not including songs from album 1-4) was that they didn´t even pick the good songs from BWP; Bleak, Funeral portrait or BWP. They should have playd one of those instead of "A fair judment". After all this was the heavy set and with so few songs "A fair judment" just doesn´t fit in. Oh yeah I think it sucks live in general also.

dolphz said:
I was contemplating buying the dvd, but after seeing the songlist, and thinking Damnation is painfully boring, I think I'll pass. And before anyone says I'm not a true Opeth fan, let me say this. I've been with them since MAYH (greatest cd EVER made), have since bought every cd (including the awful Damnation), have seen them live, bought the merch, etc. The dvd songs just are not good selections. On a side note, I was going to see them live this tour, but they're playing without a (qualified) drummer??
Opeth are in danger of becoming Spinal Tap. (Being somewhat sarcastic and bitter here.)
Oh my god, I dunno where to start. Fuck it i can't be arsed

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I've had the DVD since it came out and I have to say I've never watched it at all in the past few weeks. At first it seemed really good but now I'm bored with it. I simply find it boring to watch the entire Damnation album, especially with people "death grunting " throughout. The heavy section seems far too short and I just feel this was an excuse to promot Damnation more.
I'm going to sell it on Ebay, and hopefully they'll bring out a DVD with nothing but heavy songs on it.
oh, too bad for you dude, i'v watched it 304930940343 times already and i am never bored of it.

I'm not saying everyone should have the same opinion as me, as i'm sure neither takinthemusicback and dolphz wished to. This is an Open forum and if fans of the band can't state thier feelings on one of the bands projects honestly what is the point in the board being here at all?

Of course everyone has the right to an opinion Kevy,but yours was pretty stupid in my opinion. Naturally I have the right to say that too.

KevyCanavan said:
I'm not saying everyone should have the same opinion as me, as i'm sure neither takinthemusicback and dolphz wished to. This is an Open forum and if fans of the band can't state thier feelings on one of the bands projects honestly what is the point in the board being here at all?
Thank you. It's nice to see an intelligent comment on this board every once and a while.

osse87 said:
The DVD is almost perfect. Only one thing remains: Another DVD with pre-BWP songs.
I totally agree. The DVD is great, I have no issues with it.

However! - a DVD with pre Blackwater Park needs to be released! We need to see some older stuff out here

Ever since I heard they were doing a DVD i was hoping that Advent, Godhead's Lament and Serenity Painted Death would be on it... so yea, I agree! Another DVD please! hehe

TheFourthHorseman said:
Eh. Kevy dear. Keep yourself updated next time.

If they'd done what you say,the setlist would've still been

Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits
Weakness

Actually, they did play Benighted, Face of Melinda, and To Bid You Farewell on the Damnation Tour.

What a poor fucker. Read my goddamn post. MUSIC FOR NATIONS WOULDN'T HAVE PAID FOR BENIGHTED,FACE OF MELINDA AND TO BID YOU FAREWELL TO BE ON THE DVD ANYWAY. So the setlist would've been even shorter than it is now in these circumstances.
Sorry,just woke up.

TheFourthHorseman said:
What a poor fucker. Read my goddamn post. MUSIC FOR NATIONS WOULDN'T HAVE PAID FOR BENIGHTED,FACE OF MELINDA AND TO BID YOU FAREWELL TO BE ON THE DVD ANYWAY. So the setlist would've been even shorter than it is now in these circumstances.
Sorry,just woke up.

yea well, id love to see what would happen if Iron Maiden brought out a DVD with only songs from Dance of Death, Brave New World and the 2 (shit) Blaze Era albums.

Good point Kevy. Look, Opeth are a HEAVY band, Mikael even says so in the DVD. So why fill the DVD with their mellow stuff, stuff that isn't representative of the band? Sure, some diehard Opeth fans are going to like it, but many more aren't going to bother buying it due to the song selection.
I simply find it quite boring now - even the "heavy" songs aren't the heaviest they could have chosen, some of them are pretty fucking mellow too. The documentary DOES kick ass but I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to watch a great concert, and, while I'm sure it was if you were there, it simply drags on for me watching Mikael sing that dirge "Weakness", while fucking nob-ends in the crowd death grunt "OOOPPETH!! RROOOAARR!! *coff coff*" in the background.

Did you bother to look at what was on the dvd before you bought it? If you did, then why did you expect to dig it since you don't like half the stuff that's on it? If you didn't, you got what you deserved. I dig the DVD very much, and while I would have loved to see some older heavy songs, I'm happy with what I've got.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Good point Kevy. Look, Opeth are a HEAVY band, Mikael even says so in the DVD. So why fill the DVD with their mellow stuff, stuff that isn't representative of the band? Sure, some diehard Opeth fans are going to like it, but many more aren't going to bother buying it due to the song selection.

Because they had the chance to do so? I'm asking this yet again,would've you liked it better if there was no DVD? The DVD IS representative of the band,as Mikael states a lot of times during the sets that they're mainly a death metal band and it has the heavy set.
I have no idea what is up with people who give criticism,but can't come up with any kind of a replacement for what's wrong in their opinion. So,in these circumstances,other than changing couple songs in the heavy set (which is personal preference,anyone can bicker on about that and mention different songs),what would've you done to make the DVD better?

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I simply find it quite boring now - even the "heavy" songs aren't the heaviest they could have chosen, some of them are pretty fucking mellow too. The documentary DOES kick ass but I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to watch a great concert, and, while I'm sure it was if you were there, it simply drags on for me watching Mikael sing that dirge "Weakness", while fucking nob-ends in the crowd death grunt "OOOPPETH!! RROOOAARR!! *coff coff*" in the background.

Out of the songs that they have rehearsed,I think that's pretty much the heaviest set they could play. I'm not sure if The Funeral Portrait has been played,but granted that would've made the set heavier if it was placed as the last song instead of A Fair Judgement. But I don't mind.

About the screaming shit in Damnation,that does suck.
But didn't you just say the Damnation set isn't represantive of their music and portray yourself as one of the "many more" who "aren't going to bother buying it due to the song selection"? If you hadn't bought it already that is.

Anyway,just got the DVD back from a friend,I'm gonna go and watch it again. :)

Oh and Kevy what the hell? I would like to see Maiden's label telling them not to play The Trooper first. :) Opeth simply COULDN'T play the older songs. Either you're not seeing the facts here or you're just ignorant.