EMPYRIUM - a class of their own

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Seriously people, just how good is this band?? Listening to Songs of Moors and Misty Fields right now and it is just heart-wrenching. It's one of those albums where it keeps getting better from track to track. The vocals are stunning whether clean or grim, the use of the flute alongside the guitars...it's all brilliant. Have to say, I always loved Weiland the most because it would literally just stop me in my tracks (even though it's void of all traditional metal instrumentation and structure), but Songs... could be my favourite now.

A band like EMPYRIUM, and albums like Songs... (where every note is just hammered out, strummed, plucked, whistled, whatever with complete fucking passion) make me realize how methodical bands like OPETH are. You know, one riff plastered to the next: good, but in comparison, completely void of emotion.

I can't recommend Songs of Moors and Misty Fields highly enough. Trust me on this one.

i love empyrium. but if i had to choose a favorite album, i'd probably go with 'a wintersunset'... tight, passionate, and enthusiastic... these guys knew what they were doing. too bad they had to call it quits.

i hate to say this because it sounds disrespectful, but...
empyrium > agalloch

Black Winter Day said:
i may do it when i finish my 2003 list and these last promos! i would love to do it, along with arcan sun (unless you or erik want to do it). i still need to send NAD that glass casket... DAMN!!
Goat knows when my Arcane Sun will turn up, and I have no doubt either you or Erik will do a better job than me anyway. No rush on Empyrium (since they're classics). :)

npearce said:
I'd have to hear something metal by the band to judge the band better.
Get Songs of Moors...then. I listened to it back to back with A Winterset...this evening and both are incredible, BUT, I still think Songs wins by a nose.

i've been meaning to check them out for some time, and now i've found "A wintersunset" pretty cheap, but i've also heard that the vocals on that one are suppoesed to be rahter weak, what are you're opinions on that?

Personally, I love the vocals. I can see where people might have issues with the last two Empyrium albums (which are devoid of any 'metal' and are specifically 'dark folk') - they have 'alternate' vocals that are slightly more mournful, clean, and soft-operatic.

The first two albums, however, are doom/folk/whatever (described as "doom folk metal" on librariusmetallicus.com if that helps), and like I said earlier, I cannot recommend these albums highly enough, in particular, Songs of Moors and Misty Fields. I mean, we're talking near-perfection, but then I have Empyrium listed in my top 10 bands of all time.

JayKeeley said:
Personally, I love the vocals. I can see where people might have issues with the last two Empyrium albums (which are devoid of any 'metal' and are specifically 'dark folk') - they have 'alternate' vocals that are slightly more mournful, clean, and soft-operatic.

The first two albums, however, are doom/folk/whatever (described as "doom folk metal" on librariusmetallicus.com if that helps), and like I said earlier, I cannot recommend these albums highly enough, in particular, Songs of Moors and Misty Fields. I mean, we're talking near-perfection, but then I have Empyrium listed in my top 10 bands of all time.

yeah i have heard some of weiland, though it was some time ago, but i didn't really like the clear singing present there. i'll give them a shot then, thanks for the info

I agree with everything you say. They're definately my favourite band ever, and Songs... is definately my favourite album ever. There are 2 main guitar leads on the tracks "Mourners" and "Lovers Grief" which really are the most beautiful things I've ever heard. A Wintersunset is also stunning, but not quite as good. The vocals aren't a problem for me at all.

I wuv Empyrium, and I wuv the art of Theodor Kittelsen. Look what's adorning my wall since today:

poster.jpg

Actually, I plan to get some art prints by Kittelsen (late 19th/early 20th century Norwegian artist who has made both the pictures above as well as all the art used on Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Filosofem" albums)

Erik said:
I wuv Empyrium, and I wuv the art of Theodor Kittelsen. Look what's adorning my wall since today:

Actually, I plan to get some art prints by Kittelsen (late 19th/early 20th century Norwegian artist who has made both the pictures above as well as all the art used on Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Filosofem" albums)

yes his works are stunning, i epspecially like this one among others. and that poster is just killer, where are you planning to get the prints from? i'd love to have one to embellish one of my now oh so dull walls.

spaffe said:
where are you planning to get the prints from? i'd love to have one to embellish one of my now oh so dull walls.
See here:

http://www.norsegate.com/kittelsen.html ($12 each for the unframed prints + $10 postage, but I believe that is within the US only)

and here:

http://www.munchforlaget.no/ (This is where the above imports its prints from -- however they don't publish any prices and also I don't know if you can buy stuff unframed from them. I'll mail and ask some day)