EPs that you wish could have been fleshed out into full studio albums

If we're counting demos, then almost too many to name. Biggest/easiest would be...

Antagonist's S/T
Dark Age's S/T
Mayfair's S/T
Ulysses Siren's demo comp

All are just one or two songs short of a 5-star full-length, and in Ulysses Siren's case they even had an earlier demo track that could have been recorded properly to flesh things out. None of them give me the indication that they were scraping the barrel with ideas either; even if the hypothetical new tracks were on par with the weakest of their respective releases, they would still be amazing. More of a stretch would be...

Anathema - Salem Lunacy (I want another Irae Melanox even if it isn't perfect)
Maelstrom - This Battle to Make History, Yet History Never Comes (this demo was a portion of an intended ~10 song album which never saw the light of day; one of the founding members of the band has made an effort to rerecord everything and release the full album, but it always seems to fizzle out)
Matrix - 1985 Rehearsal (six tracks from the best Watchtower worshipers, would need at least another three to pass thirty minutes though)
Moral Decay - To Build an End (amazing fusion of classic emo and thrash with perfect production and vision already, but the band members either died or left metal so not sure if a full-length would be possible)
Piranha - Big Fucking Teeth (Baloff, and both songs are excellent; there are longer live bootlegs floating around but the quality is generally too poor to tell if they're really worthy)
Ruthless Horde - Ruthless Horde (one of my favorite more recent discoveries, five songs and all of them varying kinds of amazing, but the next year they'd go from a USPM/thrash/doom fusion to Morbid Saint-style death/thrash of somewhat lower quality)
Spectral Incursion - S/T (not sure if they could have gotten a full album; they had enough tracks when factoring in demos, but not all of them reach this standard)

And for some demos that could have easily been turned into amazing albums had recording circumstances been right at the time...

Artillery - Shellshock (keep the singer and production here, the three exclusive songs from this, then add the exclusive songs from the other two demos, and you've got a fucking awesome nasty doom/thrash album)
Forbidden - Trapped (an album's worth of material from 1991-93 between demos and live bootlegs, they just needed to put it together before groove metal ruined them)
Heathen - Victims of Deception w/ Baloff (fuck David White tbh fam smh)

Battlefield - We Come To Fight (I like the Thrash Metal songs on this EP better than the (slightly) progressive stuff on their later two full-length albums)

Nuclear Assault - The Plague (I like the songs at least as much as the best on "Game Over" and definitely better than the stuff which followed afterwards)

Sacrilege - Behind the Realms of Madness (Not really sure if it fits here, because it's listed as "full-length" on Metal Archives, but I would have liked more than just 6 songs with a playing time of 26 minutes in this raw style which reminds me a lot of Détente's "Recognize No Authority".)

Watchtower - Concepts of Math: Book One (I just want more of this stuff!)

The Duke-Lamb of God.....the first 2 songs are unrelenting & powerful & then go into live tracks of previously released material, not that i am complaining but i was just hungry for more. Selfish, i know.

Brutality - Hell on Earth EP

They still had thrash elements in their band at this time. It would have been interesting to hear what a full-length album would have sounded like.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Viraemia - S/T EP. I'm not all too big into Technical Slam, but that band appealed to me more than any other in that scene. Its full of wankery, but it actually compliments the bands theme instead of just being mindless wanking.

Dir en Grey - Missa. They had a weird starting sound, and I wish I had more of that than when they went straight into Gauze.

Mayhem - Deathcrush. My all time favorite Black Metal album. It felt too short.

Last edited:
Deathcrush is good, but nowhere near DMDS for me. It's primitive, raw and historically important, but the songwriting and atmosphere doesn't touch that first full length.

Reactions: CiG
I totally agree with you there.
I really like primitive black metal, thats why its more important to me.

DMDS has some of the best songs ever in the world though. Freezing Moon is one of the catchiest and darkest riffs on the fucking planet.