Joey: 'I Could Have Sang On Any' Of JOHN BUSH-Era Albums

your living In dreamland matey,I liked bush and he did some great stuff but u can't deny the chemistry they have with joey. Safe home is a decent song but quite forgttable
It's not about chemistry. It's about the inability of Joey's voice to embrace as many music genres as John's voice is able to. The only Joey's advantage is reaching higher notes. There's no doubt Joey could sing any Anthrax song written 1993 – 2003 but the result would be awkward ("his" ONLY was fucking awkward and horrible). If Worship Music had sounded like any Bushthrax album, Joey would kill it. I bet the “Nelson's” WM was more into the Bush-era than we know it now. The songs Joey wasn't able to sing were excluded, others were remade. It's a pity we'll never hear original version of WM. Joey is just a good genre-limited vocalist.

Well the chemistry is that Joey is given the lyrics and melodies and sings what and how they want him to sing ;)
[/QUOTE]

That's not accurate considering Joey worked on melodies and vocal arrangements even before cowriting the lyrics.

So Joey was told what octives, registers, notes, harmonies to use and what time to go to bed? :tickled:

Lets not get silly.

It's obvious your not a fan of his but to take pot shots at a vocal style that has literally sold millions and millions of records is just silly,you should at least respect what he does,as phil Anselmo once said"listen to that throat"

That's not accurate considering Joey worked on melodies and vocal arrangements even before cowriting the lyrics.

So Joey was told what octives, registers, notes, harmonies to use and what time to go to bed? :tickled:

Lets not get silly.
From time to time, Scott and Charlie have a problem to tell the truth... It's obvious the band must act like a well-oiled machine. Admitting Joey's neutral musical involvement means exposing themself to importunate questions.

It's obvious your not a fan of his but to take pot shots at a vocal style that has literally sold millions and millions of records is just silly,you should at least respect what he does,as phil Anselmo once said"listen to that throat"
If his vocal style was so great, why his solo albums have been forgotten...? No mrthrax, above all it was the music that "sold millions and millions of records".

It's not about chemistry. It's about the inability of Joey's voice to embrace as many music genres as John's voice is able to. The only Joey's advantage is reaching higher notes. There's no doubt Joey could sing any Anthrax song written 1993 – 2003 but the result would be awkward ("his" ONLY was fucking awkward and horrible). If Worship Music had sounded like any Bushthrax album, Joey would kill it. I bet the “Nelson's” WM was more into the Bush-era than we know it now. The songs Joey wasn't able to sing were excluded, others were remade. It's a pity we'll never hear original version of WM. Joey is just a good genre-limited vocalist.

I heard the live version of Only at a Best Buy show they did a few years ago. It sounded pretty good, better than the Sonisphere venue IMO. Back then, If Joey co-wrote a song like ONLY, the vocals (arrangements, chorus, hooks, melodies, etc.) would be totally different, not awkward. Possibly better. Also, Bushthrax / Bush-era ended with WCFYA. WM is not Bushthrax as John wasn't involved. WM is a great album because Joey did his thing making his changes (nothing drastic as the basic arrangements remained he same) to the songs rather than attempt to be a carbon copy of Dan Nelson and why would he?

Actually, most of the songs were on WM were already co-written and recorded with Dan Nelson, except, In The End. So Joey, remade all of them and more. No exclusions needed ;)

From time to time, Scott and Charlie have a problem to tell the truth... It's obvious the band must act like a well-oiled machine. Admitting Joey's neutral musical involvement means exposing themself to importunate questions.

Any band that consistently maintains an international touring schedule while conducting interviews and various events while writing / recording new music in stages is a well oiled machine.

That's no act but a requirement.

Th
If his vocal style was so great, why his solo albums have been forgotten...? No mrthrax, above all it was the music that "sold millions and millions of records".
pretty weak comeback,more popular musos have done solo albums that sold next to nothing,can't really compare, main point of mine was that it's so rare for a group to have something special and diff , anthrax have that with joey but unfortunately not with bush, not picking on bush either it's Scott and Charlie that make the decisions

Lets not get silly.[/QUOTE]

Where did you read that? You know, it has always been like this so I don`t really expect things to change.

As far as WM songs go... did you hear some of them live with Nelson? The only thing that was changed was the "I`ll end you" in Fight `Em. Other than that... it actually IS a carbon copy.

Lets not get silly.

Where did you read that? You know, it has always been like this so I don`t really expect things to change.

As far as WM songs go... did you hear some of them live with Nelson? The only thing that was changed was the "I`ll end you" in Fight `Em. Other than that... it actually IS a carbon copy.[/QUOTE]

I read it in an interview when Joey was asked about the new album,,he wrote some stuff on his own and collectively put together melodies with Frankie and Scott on the spot. Some things were not done in the same usual order,,,for example, the melodies were put together before there were lyrics for a number of the songs.

I heard all of the the live songs with Nelson. I already mentioned the basic structure of how the songs were originally written on WM remained the same for the most part but how is it a carbon copy when sung in a different tune with highs mixed in?,,,and (thank goodness) no growling ? lol

After firing Joey, Scott and Charlie was slandering Joey all the time and praising him when they needed him… After Elektra Records kicked the band's ass, they started having problems with records companies. When V8 came out, “nobody” knew Anthrax released this record. They needed money, so Charlie (I suppose) came with the idea to call Joey to make a tour with them… Why? Because that assumed Joey could attracted Bellafans – Joey would sing his era songs and John songs from his era. In 1999, the band released Return Of The Killer A's with the new song Ball of Confusion. In that time, Joey was praised and Scott and Charlie apologized him for the past. But the tour didn't happen because Joey's financial requirements were too high. Joey was a thorn in their ass until 2004 when the band needed money again. Time to put the thorn out and keep smiling… Now briefly: Joey is a great friend again… The reunion tour is over. Thank you man but we don't need you anymore... Welcome Dan Nelson! (Why not Joey???)…. Farewell Dan!…. Shit! We wrote songs for the new album but we have no singer…. John is back (why not Joey???) and the band is in ecstasy . Attempts to talk him into rejoining the band and record the album with them failed…. THE FINAL CHAPTER: THE LAST MAN ONE THE LIST… Yes, bitter Joey (yes, he IS fucking bitter and frankly, I would be too) is back and it seems this time for good. Time to apologize in high style... Scott wrote the book and regret here everything wrong he'd said about Joey. Sorry guys but Scott have apologized/lain so many times that I can't see any reason why the apologies in his book should be taken seriously...

Last edited:
Any band that consistently maintains an international touring schedule while conducting interviews and various events while writing / recording new music in stages is a well oiled machine.

That's no act but a requirement.
Being a well-oiled machine also means covering any dissensions in the band.

After firing Joey, Scott and Charlie was slandering Joey all the time and praising him when they needed him… After Elektra Records kicked the band's ass, they started having problems with records companies. When V8 came out, “nobody” knew Anthrax released this record. They needed money, so Charlie (I suppose) came with the idea to call Joey to make a tour with them… Why? Because that assumed Joey could attracted Bellafans – Joey would sing his era songs and John songs from his era. In 1999, the band released Return Of The Killer A's with the new song Ball of Confusion. In that time, Joey was praised and Scott and Charlie apologized him for the past. But the tour didn't happen because Joey's financial requirements were too high. Joey was a thorn in their ass until 2004 when the band needed money again. Time to put the thorn out and keep smiling… Now briefly: Joey is a great friend again… The reunion tour is over. Thank you man but we don't need you anymore... Welcome Dan Nelson! (Why not Joey???)…. Farewell Dan!…. Shit! We wrote songs for the new album but we have no singer…. John is back (why not Joey???) and the band is in ecstasy . Attempts to talk him into rejoining the band and record the album with them failed…. THE FINAL CHAPTER: THE LAST MAN ONE THE LIST… Yes, bitter Joey (yes, he IS fucking bitter and frankly, I would be too) is back and it seems this time for good. Time to apologize in high style... Scott wrote the book and regret here everything wrong he'd said about Joey. Sorry guys but Scott have apologized/lain so many times that I can't see any reason why the apologizes in his book should be taken seriously...

Truth be told I wouldn't use the word "apologize"

After firing Joey, Scott and Charlie was slandering Joey all the time and praising him when they needed him… After Elektra Records kicked the band's ass, they started having problems with records companies. When V8 came out, “nobody” knew Anthrax released this record. They needed money, so Charlie (I suppose) came with the idea to call Joey to make a tour with them… Why? Because that assumed Joey could attracted Bellafans – Joey would sing his era songs and John songs from his era. In 1999, the band released Return Of The Killer A's with the new song Ball of Confusion. In that time, Joey was praised and Scott and Charlie apologized him for the past. But the tour didn't happen because Joey's financial requirements were too high. Joey was a thorn in their ass until 2004 when the band needed money again. Time to put the thorn out and keep smiling… Now briefly: Joey is a great friend again… The reunion tour is over. Thank you man but we don't need you anymore... Welcome Dan Nelson! (Why not Joey???)…. Farewell Dan!…. Shit! We wrote songs for the new album but we have no singer…. John is back (why not Joey???) and the band is in ecstasy . Attempts to talk him into rejoining the band and record the album with them failed…. THE FINAL CHAPTER: THE LAST MAN ONE THE LIST… Yes, bitter Joey (yes, he IS fucking bitter and frankly, I would be too) is back and it seems this time for good. Time to apologize in high style... Scott wrote the book and regret here everything wrong he'd said about Joey. Sorry guys but Scott have apologized/lain so many times that I can't see any reason why the apologies in his book should be taken seriously...

Honestly man,read the book,explains all the mistakes in letting Electra choose black lodge as first single instead of room for one more,I don't want to give much away but they could have been massive with bush if they did things and stuck to there guns,I really think everything happens for a reason hence joey back for good

As far as WM songs go... did you hear some of them live with Nelson? The only thing that was changed was the "I`ll end you" in Fight `Em. Other than that... it actually IS a carbon copy.

I read it in an interview when Joey was asked about the new album,,he wrote some stuff on his own and collectively put together melodies with Frankie and Scott on the spot. Some things were not done in the same usual order,,,for example, the melodies were put together before there were lyrics for a number of the songs.

I heard all of the the live songs with Nelson. I already mentioned the basic structure of how the songs were originally written on WM remained the same for the most part but how is it a carbon copy when sung in a different tune with highs mixed in?,,,and (thank goodness) no growling ? lol[/QUOTE]

I was talking about vocal melodies, not vocal expression. Of course Joey has very different voice, way higher, and doesn't growl :)

Yea, I was talking about the tune/pitch, not the melody, which didn't change that much.

Now I see that my post #31 should has been sent as a reply to the ghostrike post # 343 in the New album update thread. I'd like to add that Joey was always called back to help make a fortune, not to co-write music.

That possible (Metallica-level) fortune ship already sailed in 1992.

Since his return, Joey did co-write material on the last two albums as well as save this band from self-imploding, which he had no obligation to do ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher
Yea, I was talking about the tune/pitch, not the melody, which didn't change that much.

That possible (Metallica-level) fortune ship already sailed in 1992.

Since his return, Joey did co-write material on the last two albums as well as save this band from self-imploding, which he had no obligation to do ;)

He pretty much saved their career after the Dan Nelson era and when John bailed on them. :heh:

Yep, that's what real family does. Saving loved ones from the consequences of bad judgement calls :tickled: