Took a long road trip, listened to all John Bush era albums

Still, they performed like champs and weathered it all. I gained a lot of respect for them that day. They are still the only grunge band I can stomach, except for a very few Pear Jam songs.
Pear jam is good on toasted pumpernickel.

AIC had great slow songs, but their "heavier" songs sucked. Soundgarden, who weren't exactly great on albums or live, were the best of the heavy side of grunge.

AIC had great slow songs, but their "heavier" songs sucked. Soundgarden, who weren't exactly great on albums or live, were the best of the heavy side of grunge.

I have yet to hear any Alice In Chains song that 'sucked'. Maybe it's not your taste musically but they are stellar at what they do. Would love to know what songs "suck"

Soundgarden was awesome as well. But I didn't like the latter material as much. Louder than Love and Badmotorfinger were brilliant

The band Mudhoney sounds almost like a lot of the Bushthrax songs. The vocals are very similar to how John Bush sang during the Anthrax era.

I like The Melvins and Fudge Tunnel is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana never really did much for me.

Exactly. AIC is a great example that not everything sucked in the 90's. AIC, White Zombie, Pantera...:cool:

Yep can't forget about White Zombie! They were a metal band that was able to succeed in the 90's. Will never forget seeing them open for Pantera on the Vulgar Display of Power tour. Those were some great times. A lot of the other Metal bands were starting to change their sound, aka Anthrax, starting to get scared of the grunge movement. But these bands kept doing what they did. Phil Anselmo used to say some great speeches about bands like Metallica selling out to conform to trends etc.

Anyone remember seeing Mad House from Pantera back before Phil Anselmo was in the band?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep can't forget about White Zombie! They were a metal band that was able to succeed in the 90's. Will never forget seeing them open for Pantera on the Vulgar Display of Power tour. Those were some great times. A lot of the other Metal bands were starting to change their sound, aka Anthrax, starting to get scared of the grunge movement. But these bands kept doing what they did. Phil Anselmo used to say some great speeches about bands like Metallica selling out to conform to trends etc.

Anyone remember seeing Mad House from Pantera back before Phil Anselmo was in the band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3N7jOQ-CtU

Actually, believe it or not, that IS Phil. Fresh out of his old band Razor White. I actually think I may have been at that show. I've lived my entire live in the Dallas area and I saw Pantera so many times, both before and after Cowboys from Hell, that they all run together.

But, yes, that is Phil.

Those Megadeth and Slayer records were on major labels with a lot of money behind them and the original A&R people still helping promote.

Anthrax had Elektra who had cleaned house aside from Metallica, and then they had Ignition which went out of business and Sanctuary which stopped promoting metal albums properly about 3 years before WCFYA was released.

Those Megadeth and Slayer records were on major labels with a lot of money behind them and the original A&R people still helping promote.

Anthrax had Elektra who had cleaned house aside from Metallica, and then they had Ignition which went out of business and Sanctuary which stopped promoting metal albums properly about 3 years before WCFYA was released.

The record labels stopped promoting Anthrax because they stopped selling records. Period.

Try to excuse Anthrax's failures during the Bush era all you want but it simply comes down to Anthrax's complete shift in musical style, the fans wanting Belladonna and Anthrax's inability to write music that was anywhere near as interesting, fun and quality as the stuff they wrote from PoT and back. Thats it. If they had kept their fan base, they would have had the support of their record label. They didn't, so they lost it.

They weren't going to promote a bad product. I don't know too many companies that put a lot of money into products that are bad. If I had Anthrax on my label and they went out and recorded Stomp or Vol 8 I would have never put a penny into it because I know I would never get a return on my investment. Those albums were bad, the labels didn't support them its that simple

The record labels stopped promoting Anthrax because they stopped selling records. Period.

Try to excuse Anthrax's failures during the Bush era all you want but it simply comes down to Anthrax's complete shift in musical style, the fans wanting Belladonna and Anthrax's inability to write music that was anywhere near as interesting, fun and quality as the stuff they wrote from PoT and back. Thats it. If they had kept their fan base, they would have had the support of their record label. They didn't, so they lost it.

What he said!

true!!!

Opinions are opinions nobody can say who likes something and who doesn't like something. HOWEVER. There is no denying that Anthrax changed their sound (Fairly drastically) once John Bush joined the band. That over all change in sound (both musically and vocally) is why most old school Anthrax fans that were in those stadiums during the POT don't care for the Bushthrax era of the band.

I have listened to those albums many times before. I just wanted to revisit them and give them another chance. Even after reading some of the posts on here and I have gone back and listened to Stomp. My original opinion was that this was a horrible record. I couldn't even get through it the first time. So I just gave it a 3rd chance and have to say that it's even worse than I thought. That album is total shit. If that is your style of music you like then good for you. But this just is not what I have come to expect from Anthrax. Then Vol 8 as well. It starts of with a few pretty decent songs then just is garbage song after garbage song.

If you can really sit her and say that Stomp and Vol 8 are on par with Among The Living, and Persistence of Time then I guess this discussion ends here because your opinion of what good Anthrax music is is so far off the map that there is no point in discussing

Ha! Can you spot the flaw in your "logic" (or what I'd guess you call logic)? Or are you just too much of a chimp to even be able to?

You're right in one point though, there's no point in discussing anything with monkeys, or trolls. And you're pretty much both.

Don't bother replying, I don't care about your "logic"... :rolleyes:

Jackoboy is still waiting for ironmaidenfan09's reply, here it comes:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2m0Kg7an9A&feature=channel[/ame]
could also explain his obsession with dildos

ironmaidenfan09's confession:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuqF0lC4Qo&feature=related[/ame]