Exclusive article FOR ROYAL CARNAGERS ONLY!!!!!

Dogma is definitely worth seeing. First off all, Selma Hayek dancing in a strip club, albet in a bikini, is worth price of admission. Rock and Damon are funny as shit. And anything that polks fun at organized religion can't be all bad.

Zod

General Zod said:
Dogma is definitely worth seeing. First off all, Selma Hayek dancing in a strip club, albet in a bikini, is worth price of admission. Rock and Damon are funny as shit. And anything that polks fun at organized religion can't be all bad.

Zod

Agreed. Jim, if you're ever going to actually like a Ben Affleck movie (and believe me, I understand where you're coming from), Dogma is it. See the special extended version as well - a ton of worthwhile extra scenes.

Jim LotFP said:
... as opposed to Blabbermouth running headlines like "SOUNDS OF THE UNDERGROUND Tour Is In Demand, On Demand And In Your Home"?

actually I have a lot of respect for the guy that runs Blabbermouth. Many here know that I have been following him for 20 years and have spoken to him numerous times. That guy did more for the underground then anyone cares to admit. Even now he writes a lot of that stuff tongue in cheek.

I am just honestly surprised, why these things are shocking and "there's only so much misrepresentation I can take before I burst" drama like.
Everyone knows this is all marketing and just business ... no true indie label can pull off something this scale on their own.

lurch70 said:
actually I have a lot of respect for the guy that runs Blabbermouth.

Reposting press releases must be a hard job. :p

Many here know that I have been following him for 20 years and have spoken to him numerous times. That guy did more for the underground then anyone cares to admit. Even now he writes a lot of that stuff tongue in cheek.

lurch70 said:
Everyone knows this is all marketing and just business ... no true indie label can pull off something this scale on their own.

There are some of us who don't like the of idea of everything being reduced to marketing and business, especially creative pursuits. It's insulting.

If the reaction ends up being "who cares?" it proves that heavy metal as a whole learned nothing from the 80s boom and the 90s crash, and it also means that all of the independence posturing of the 90s was a lie as well.

At least in the 80s people had the balls to come out and say they all wanted to work with major labels. Now the affiliations are more hidden, like they themselves think that major labels are a dirty secret to be hidden.

Some people are going to make lots of money, but rough times are ahead for people that like heavy metal MUSIC and not all the trappings that surround it.

Can't wait til the next version of PMRC gets a hold of whatever's passing for death metal in a few years.

If the reaction ends up being "who cares?" it proves that heavy metal as a whole learned nothing from the 80s boom and the 90s crash,

any proper business goes through similar waves ... times change, people get bored ... then a new wave comes.

Some people are going to make lots of money, but rough times are ahead for people that like heavy metal MUSIC and not all the trappings that surround it.

yes, money can be made easier now I think, but also opening and running a truely independant label is a lot easier as well. technology for both recording and distribution is a hell of a lot cheaper then it ever was 15-20 years ago, so indies should have it easier. They don't however ... not sure why.

Jim LotFP said:
Follow that thought. Explore it.

the biggest hurdle is stopping downloading ... the rest I think is up to an individual companies (indie OR major) business savvy.

I don't care how talented a band you have ... if you have no business chops, you will go unnoticed.

And unfortunatelly, 90% of the time the most talented artists are lousy business people.

Not on;y that, but people tha start up indies, while thier heart might be in the right place, their business skills need sharpening. ... and this is why a lot of indies fold fast (unless someone steps in to rescue them ... a major)

I think it's a lot simpler than that, same reason why Walmarts come into small towns and destroy independent hardware stores and other mom n' pop shitz.

Although I imagine a lot of indie labels don't care about making cash or expanding or anything. More a hobby than a business like.

hehehe ... it was meant as an agry outburst and then was going to give a group hug to everyone a few posts down ... but never got a chance

so here ... I LOVE YOU ALL! :lol:

Jim LotFP said:
At least in the 80s people had the balls to come out and say they all wanted to work with major labels. Now the affiliations are more hidden, like they themselves think that major labels are a dirty secret to be hidden.

Good points. And perhaps the bands aren't even aware of the associations you've highlighted. I mean, why would they go through the similar research?

So you're basically just reaffirming that the mainstream industry model makes an effort to dip it's paws into everything, beyond just smaller labels being 'sponsored' by larger corps. I mean, we've always known about radio stations being given playlists by label conglomerates for example. It's the equivalent of picking up the loose change from the "underground" whilst the big "mainstream" artists bring in the cash bills. Either way, they want the whole piggy bank.

Also begs the question, who the fuck is deciding on which bands to sign? For example, do Metal Blade even have a say in who they sign anymore? You telling me Metal Blade would have signed Primordial had "TGW" been their debut release? Fuck that. They'd already been primed, fattened for the kill. Meanwhile, plastered all over the MB website is more "Black Dhalia Murder" and "As I Lay Dying" flashy imagery, just incase you'd missed them the other 364 days per year.

Some people are going to make lots of money

Well yeah, there's not much more out there to scavenge from.

I think you can drive yourself crazy overanalyzing these things. The business model is what it is. It won't change until there's a need for it to change, and that change won't be driven by the artists or in the interest of quality music. As folks who appreciate music, all we can do is hope the artists we enjoy grow more commercially sucessfull (they deserve to mae a living doing what they do), but remain true to their roots.

Zod

General Zod said:
As folks who appreciate music, all we can do is hope the artists we enjoy grow....

That's 90% of the problem - the artists we enjoy are only those that we even know about. The rest are pushed aside by what's more commercially viable.

why does everyone always blame labels?

its the artists that are to blame ... if money and promises of better qualityt punani make them write crappier sellout songs ... well ... nobody held a gun to their head. the artists made that choice.

it's a job like anything else.