Exclusive article FOR ROYAL CARNAGERS ONLY!!!!!

lurch70 said:
why does everyone always blame labels?

its the artists that are to blame ... if money and promises of better qualityt punani make them write crappier sellout songs ... well ... nobody held a gun to their head. the artists made that choice.

it's a job like anything else.

For sure. It's a combo of scenarios:

Artist starts with style [A] and then changes to style in order to sell more records. Band makes money, reaches new audience, good for them.

Label only signs artists of style , whilst altogether ignoring anything resembling [A]. Label makes money with targetted audience, good for them

Artists falling into category [A], who would otherwise go unnoticed, continue to be supported by certain webzines and fanzines. Good for us.

everything is a job ...

i would be really curious if anyone that always complains about the music business really was on the edge of some type of stardom and there was this promised land dangled in front of them ... what decision would they make?

lurch70 said:
i would be really curious if anyone that always complains about the music business really was on the edge of some type of stardom and there was this promised land dangled in front of them ... what decision would they make?
Yeah. That's why I don't take a hardline stance on business v. art. I don't like it, but I can't say I hate it either. At least not every day. :dopey:

lurch70 said:
everything is a job ...

No, it's not.

lurch70 said:

Take the deal and then record a Merzbow tribute album just to see how they react.

i went to school originally for film and worked in it for awhile after college. did some cheesy music videos, did some PA work on some indie flicks and let me tell you ... (this is from an artist vs/ business standpoint) ... I hated working with the "artists"!
the egos are totally out of control and it's total bullshit fantasy land most of the time with them.

I did however end up liking the business end of things, where believe it or not, things are more levelheaded and cut and dry. it takes these behind the scenes people to keep most artists (musicians/actors, ect.) in check.

if I ever went back to the indusrty it would definetelly be behind the scenes in the business end of it.

Jim LotFP said:
Take the deal and then record a Merzbow tribute album just to see how they react.
I've always wanted to sell out, make tons of cash, and then do something like that. Farting On Snare Drums and Other Love Songs or something, and have the music be true to the title.

that theory might work in the film industry where you can make a big budget film and then go back with the money you made and do a "personal" low budget flick ... and nobody will yell sellout.

doesn't quite work that way in music.

lurch70 said:
everything is a job ...

I kinda liked what Janis Tanaka did. She went off and did some session work for PINK!, raked in some cash, then came back to town and helped finance "The August Engine". :tickled:

Also, I don't really know how to answer your question because I'm not a starving artist. I'm a white collared exec that needs to pay a mortgage and feed kids. If you showed me a way to make more money in my field then of course I wouldn't turn it down, but then I don't have to concern myself about "integrity" and all that other good artist worldly stuff.

Like I said to Scalzi in the interview, I live vicariously through him, but no way could I do it for real. But that's just me. Have you called Sigrid Ingrid yet? :loco:

yeah, Scalzi is definetelly the real deal ... he walks it like he talks it and he obviously does not give two shits about the industry. he takes it upon himself to promote the band.

what exactly do the people complaining about lables and the business want from it anyway? ... money? promotion? marketing? any type of help? .... if you are truely good at your art and believe in it ... quit fussing and do it yourself if you don't need the labels.

Most metal fans yell SELL OUT when the guitarists change strings anyhow. :Smug:

I dunno. Bands are free to do what they want when the want how they want why the want whatever. I'm not going to approve of any and all directions, but I'm not going to scream sell out either. Besides, any that really do, good for them! They suckered in four million idiots to buy their lousy album, then probably go home and drink Coors while listening to his neighbor's kid's punk band.

Jim LotFP said:
Because they not only promote those that play the game the way they are "supposed" to, they shut out those that won't.

This pretty much won the thread.

God forbid a band have a sound that can't be lumped in with the metalcores and melodeaths of the world.

DIY....Do It Yourfuckingself

lurch70 said:
what exactly do the people complaining about lables and the business want from it anyway?

How about the label promoting original and quality music instead of sticking to the latest trend? Is that too much to ask? Seriously?

Anymore it seems that a label signs countless latest-trend clones, releases the albums while calling all of them original in some way, then raking in some cash. Then the label decides to sign a lesser known, but much better band just to counter the SELL-OUT screams and so they can continue to call themselves an underground label, and since the latest-trend bands sold well, they can take the hit on the more quality band selling less. It's bullshit. Just look at Metal Blade and Primordial. TGW is probably their best album in years, and look at all the promotion from the label that it's getting! It's nigh impossible to escape the promotion for Primordial! :Smug:

How about the label promoting original and quality music instead of sticking to the latest trend? Is that too much to ask? Seriously?

the way i look at it is the same way i would look at a product in a supermarket.
they might put some NEW brand of paper towel in front of me in huge stacks on sale ... but I like my BOUNTY and will pay extra .. as it's familiar and tried and tested.

now if a lot of people buy this NEW towel and I hear about it, that it;s so great is soaks up puke ... I might buy it.

anyway ... most of the music people buy is recommendations from friends or reviews from zines like this. I never listen to label "sales pitches".

lurch70 said:
the way i look at it is the same way i would look at a product in a supermarket.

That's the whole of the problem. Music is sold as a commodity no different than salt, or paper clips, or paper plates.

The people doing the selling could care less if the CD had the Backstreet Boys on it, or Slayer on it, or if it was a blank CDr. As long as it sells, and fuck it if it doesn't.

At what level is that in any way healthy for the fan or the musician, in either the short term or the long?

Haha whoa, I was just about to quote that exact part and say "well that's your entire problem right there" but Jim put it more eloquently than I ever could, I would just pull out the caps and start calling people FUCKING MORONS left and right :erk:

i think you guys misunderstood the point of my post ...

lables do try to "push" new bands. for example, when the first System of a Down album came out, they sounded somewhat original and I remember the labels pushing the cd for $7.99 ... some intro price. it did not sell very well, but the people that picked it up spread the word of mouth and the next one sold by the bucketload.

again ...
anyway ... most of the music people buy is recommendations from friends or reviews from zines like this. I never listen to label "sales pitches".

there willl always be the trend people ... but bottom line ... music has to appeal on some level to people ... otherwise it could not be forced down people, no matter how hard the labels try.