Favorite Epic songs??

^I agree very much with that.
Also Towards The Pantheon from Emperor.
Emperor are pretty much the high point of epicness imo.

Hmmmm, there are a huge number of songs I could think of that would fit this bill, and the ones I come up with off the top of my head just now probably won't be the best ones, so please bear with me:

Tori Amos - 'Icicle'
Sure, maybe this song is just Tori and a piano, but the way it whispers itself in, before crashing almightily in your face, before dying down again, only to swell once more into a total beautiful, orgasmic melodic climax, before finally fading away, SCREAMS epic to my ears.

My Dying Bride - 'A Doomed Lover'
Now, I don't think MDb are one of the best bands there has ever been, fond as I may be of them, but this song also sounds very epic to me. Very doom-laden, as it gradually swells and swells into it's noisy climax, it almost sounds like a musical interperetation of the end of the world. And for that, I think to call it epic would be fair.

Arcturus - 'Ad Astra'
Mostly instrumental, but a very well projected dark mood here. Lots of nice layers, with the guitars, keys and strings all working together to build tension throughout. Very powerful, I find.

Led Zepellin - 'No Quarter'
A brilliant record, possibly my favourite from Led Zep. Yes, it's less obviously epic than 'Kashmir', but this one (to me at least) captures a much more intense atmosphere. A stunning song, really.

Tool - 'Wings For Marie Pt. 1'/10 000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)'
These two need to be played back to back for the effect to work properly, I think. 17 minutes of tension, atmosphere and progression. By the end, there is so much power to this piece, it genuinely impresses me more every time I hear it.

Snow Patrol Feat. Martha Wainwright - 'Set Fire To The Third Bar'
Barely 3 minutes long, and still much more epic to my ears than some of the choices that I've read. Passion, angst, heartache... it's like the pain of being stuck at great distance from the one you love is condensed into one short, beautiful song. Stunning, IMHO.

Hope Of The States - 'Black Dollar Bills'
Probably my favourite song. This, to me, is the best musical representation of hope I've heard yet. So bleak, and yet so optimistic all at once, it just makes me want to cry, it's THAT joyous. The most epic song I can think of.

I might add more later, I don't have time just now :)

illidurit said:
come on, it ends on the crazy orchestral orgasm
Yeah, I would call that song epic, at least for a rock song. I mean it's no viking epic with battle sounds and attempts at gregorian chant from an untrained vocalist but it fits the bill :Smug:

Liquid Diamonds said:
Hope Of The States - 'Black Dollar Bills'
Probably my favourite song. This, to me, is the best musical representation of hope I've heard yet. So bleak, and yet so optimistic all at once, it just makes me want to cry, it's THAT joyous. The most epic song I can think of.
I have checked out this song out of curiosity. Not a bad song, although I didn't find it to be that 'Epic'. Maybe for it's genre. But I didn't hear many twist and turns, or daunting interludes or choruses.

I will try to list some although atm I can't think of many

Opeth - Twilight is My Robe
Nile - Unas Slayer of the Gods
In Flames - December Flower
Fields of the Nephilim - Fallen

Here are some that I've been listening to recently:

Summoning - The Land of the Dead, now THIS song is Epic by any standards, I especially like the chorus chant, and the haunting atmosphere
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Sleep, this band is very new to me, but after hearing this song I can say that the word "amazing" would be a proper description
Agalloch - Falling Snow - although some may disagree, I think this song is awe-inspiring with a great atmosphere

Liquid Diamonds said:
Led Zepellin - 'No Quarter'
A brilliant record, possibly my favourite from Led Zep. Yes, it's less obviously epic than 'Kashmir', but this one (to me at least) captures a much more intense atmosphere. A stunning song, really.

Tool - 'Wings For Marie Pt. 1'/10 000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)'
These two need to be played back to back for the effect to work properly, I think. 17 minutes of tension, atmosphere and progression. By the end, there is so much power to this piece, it genuinely impresses me more every time I hear it.

I definitely agree with these.

I've always considered "epic" to mean a sense of bigness, if you get me. Haven't not heard most of the songs listed here, I can't really say if they are "epic" or not. (I'm not a metalhead. MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!)

King Crimson- Fallen Angel

King Crimson- Cirkus

King Crimson- Starless

Rush- Jacob's Ladder

David Sylvian- When Poets Dreamed of Angels

Simon & Garfunkel- Scarborough Fair

Scott Walker- Hand me ups

Opeth- Ghost of Perdition

Katatonia- Sulfur

Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb

my bad. must have skimmed too fast. heres a list of some of my faves, i hope none of them have already been mentioned to save from redundancy.

Caravan - Nine Feet Underground
Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust
PFM - The Mountain
Trettioariga Kriget - Krigssang II
Ache - Little Things
Renaissance - Scheherazade
Aphrodites Child - All The Seats Were Occupied
Bo Hansson - Big City
Gracious - Supernova
Rare Bird - Flight
Focus - Anonymous Two
Egg - Symphony 2