Favourite Opeth Moments

Kem

Very cynical
Apr 15, 2001
Brisbane
Visit site
I'd have to say mine is the bit in Black Rose Immortal that starts around the 4 minute mark with the sound of running water and then goes into that splendidly spooky and eerie acoustic passage with the distortion kicking in later. Oh yeah! :D

Ah yes, good call, Kem! I should have thought of this thread topic myself... have too many... uhh... I'll try to restrict myself to one per album.

the bass solo-ette that kicks off the next riff after that silent midpoint of The Twilight is My Robe

the 9:20 mark of Black Rose Immortal, after Mikael's little vocal solo bit ...the interesting little sounds that follow.
Also, the 11:50 mark "but still so precious".

the minute or so of Karma right after "you have nothing more to lose"

the jazzy midpoint of Moonlapse Vertigo (5 minute mark or so), and just generally the soft/heavy vocal transition in that song - "Immemorial Fire", of course.

The quick soft/heavy transitions on The Drapery Falls, from 7:45-8:45

In Godhead's Lament there is a short part that starts with: Thought I could not leave this place on this imminent day...
This part is really awesome, especially the bluesy introduction to the part on the solo guitar is great!
But there's one song that is quite like a whole moment, and I will repeat it again and again: CREDENCE! Take a listen to the voice when he sings: credence in my word... wonderfull and a moment that stands for itself!

well, I think my ultimate opeth moment, and also my favorite musical moment of all, would have to bo those last few minutes of demon of the fall, after the jazzy part, especially when he gets to the last few lines, starting from "just one second......" absolutely beautiful......

Moose

Face of Melinda:

When Mikael sings
"I took her by the hand to say
All faith forever has been washed away
I returned for you in great dismay
Come with me, far away to stay

Endlessly gazing in nocturnal prime
She spoke of her vices and broke the rhyme
But baffled herself with the final line
My promise is made but my heart is thine"

I'm reading all the parts that everyone writes are their favorites and I'm like "YES! That part IS killer." Then I'm saying "No, wait, this part is WAY better! Yeah!" So, I agree with most of those, but I'll add my own, right?

It's always hit home with me during Demon of the Fall when they break into run away, run away, run away...just one second, and I was left with nothing. Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air. That day came to an end, and she had lost in me her credence and all the way to the end.

That's the only one I can say right off. But, where ever I travel, my tape deck is always singing Opeth to me, and when I turn it up to a delightful level, it's because it's one of those favorite parts that I can only seem to remember as it plays past me.

This band is incredible.
:)

All Opeth moments are my fav... but the two that stick out the most are at the 5:40 mark in The Twilight is My Robe on Orchid...in those 50 seconds i die everytime i listen to it, because my heart seriously stops! Also, the masterpiece To Bid You Farewell is my other fav. could anyone please tell me the swedish translation of the word "girl"...is it flicka?? THANKS

All I gotta say is "Nectar"
around 1:59, a riff plays and prepares you for an ultimate part at 2:12 ...man that
riff with the vocals over it just kills!! Awesome double guitar work!

-John

All of To Bid You Farewell;

The huge guitar lines where you cannot help but headbang in Serenity Painted Death (where Mikael sings "White faced, haggard grin / This serenity painted death").

Great stuff!!

Originally posted by JeN
could anyone please tell me the swedish translation of the word "girl"...is it flicka?? THANKS

Aye, it is.
"en flicka" or "en tjej" and prolly many others too, but I'm not a Swede, so.. :D

... the part in advent that starts with

"We survey the slopes" to "The tainted dogma" and the whole part that follows right to the end of the tune. INTENSE! I'm shocked no one mentioned it! :)

Originally posted by Opet
I'm reading all the parts that everyone writes are their favorites and I'm like "YES! That part IS killer." Then I'm saying "No, wait, this part is WAY better! Yeah!" So, I agree with most of those, but I'll add my own, right?

It's always hit home with me during Demon of the Fall when they break into run away, run away, run away...just one second, and I was left with nothing. Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air. That day came to an end, and she had lost in me her credence and all the way to the end.

That's the only one I can say right off. But, where ever I travel, my tape deck is always singing Opeth to me, and when I turn it up to a delightful level, it's because it's one of those favorite parts that I can only seem to remember as it plays past me.

This band is incredible.
:)

Yessssss , it's my favorite part of any song by any band , I could listen to it all night long (as I have did many times)

Man this was a tough question, one of the hardest I have ever had to think about. But after a lot of thought I have come up with an answer.

I love the part in Serenity Painted Death wear he says....

"Darkness reared its head
Tearing within the reeling haze
Took control, claiming my flesh
Piercing rage, perfect tantrum
Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood
At last, weak and torn I went down
Drained from strength, flickering breath"

It just shows the power of Opeths lyrics to me, then the next few lines he sings clearly and shows the beauty which is Opeth.

Anyway great topic!

Who could fail to fall into a paratemporal trance when they hear the last section (From 9min mark) of Twilight is my Robe?:)

I agree with most previously mentioned parts (although I don't find the ending of Twilight is My Robe _THAT_GREAT_), but one very important one has been left unmentioned this far:

The final two minutes of Apostle in Triumph! Something truly spectacular and unforgettable!

-Villain

NP: Guns 'n Roses - November Rain (still in nostalgic mood)

Originally posted by winter-frost
Man this was a tough question, one of the hardest I have ever had to think about. But after a lot of thought I have come up with an answer.

I love the part in Serenity Painted Death wear he says....

"Darkness reared its head
Tearing within the reeling haze
Took control, claiming my flesh
Piercing rage, perfect tantrum
Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood
At last, weak and torn I went down
Drained from strength, flickering breath"

It just shows the power of Opeths lyrics to me, then the next few lines he sings clearly and shows the beauty which is Opeth.

right on man, you said it! The way this part comes after the weird part with the bass slapping and then disintergrates into anarchy/noise with the screaming and such and then slowly comes out of that, brilliant. The timing and the rhythm (mostly the drums) which begins with the line "Each and everyone would die at my hand" is truly insane. Very whacky, metal at it's absolute best. I didn't like SL much at first but now it's my second favourite after mayh.

I think The Leper Affinity is my new fav opeth song, it's just so dark and different, and the lyrics

Your body is mine to avail
Such a tragic sight you are
Slave under my creed
Spurring me with those tears

are just completely demented! It's so sick it makes me want to puke! It's like slayer by much more psychotic-evil.

This is another of my fav opeth moments, I forget the name of the tune, it's on mayh and it's the one that follows the short instrumental and it's before demon of the fal, it's really dark, weird, and brutal until it hits the line that's something like (I don't have the lyrics with me)

"The celestial touch from grey to black"

The way he sings (clear) this line makes me melt at the knees and the solo that follows it is my favourite guitar solo of all time! The last note in this solo makes me want to die! Listen to it (or remember it), you have to understand what I'm talking about, it's beyond cool. And then the line

"A fanthomless void enclosing"

and the painful painful painful chords that he strums after that line LITERALLY tears my heart out. It's so happy/sad at the same time, I don't know how the hell he can provoke such emotion with sound, the man's a genius. And then...

"Unwritten secrets beneath the cobwebs I cannot endure"

and the next solo is brilliant too. You can feel his ghostly pain so well. And everything that follows to the end of the tune is just amazing

"Erie circles upon the waters...
Until now we have shared the same aura, my ashes within your hands... the demon of the fall"

Good gawd that's incredible. It's so cool that the ghost becomes the demon in this song. I think this tune is an absolute gem that is often overlooked, it was the hardest tune on the album to get to like for me. It's bizarre. I wrote mikael once and told him about this tune and stuff and he wrote back and said it was also one of his favourite opeth moments (the end part especially). The way this song goes into Demon of the Fall and then into credence is fan-freakin-tastic beyond belief. This whole album is breath-taking. Mikael is god, and he is such a nice guy, it really comes across when he is on stage. In toronto he indicated that they were overwhelmed/flattered by the fanaticism of the crowd. A great guy and a true gentleman and a total living legend. hail opeth!!

Originally posted by Satori
... the part in advent that starts with

"We survey the slopes" to "The tainted dogma" and the whole part that follows right to the end of the tune. INTENSE! I'm shocked no one mentioned it! :)

Yyyyyeeeessss! When I first listened to "Morningrise" I didn´t came yet far because I always had to come back to this overwhelming part. Especially the clean vocal part blew me away!
Other cool parts: the furious start of "April Ethereal", "To bid you farewell" in its full beauty, the guitar break in "The funeral portrait" which is followed by a Celtic Frost-like "Uh" (so goddamn heavy!) and many,many more.