Favourite song from "Iconoclast"

What's your favourite song from "Iconoclast"?

• Iconoclast

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • The End of Innocence

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dehumanized

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Bastards of the Machine

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Heretic

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Children of a Faceless God

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • When All is Lost

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Electric Messiah

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Prometheus (I Am Alive)

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Light Up the Night

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Lords of Chaos

• Reign in Madness

• Total voters
I agree I have yet to dislike any symphony x song. And this album changes nothing. Though I voted for "when all is lost"... I really really like "lords of chaos" "iconoclast" and "end of innocence"... To be honest with you I don't understand all the hate. Just about every song on this album is classic symphony x I'm the style of damnation game, or just about half the songs on the odyssey. Its easily better than paradise lost. Sure Allen should actually sing, but I mean they are singing about an angry topic. You can't get across aggression by singing like rainbows and kittens. I find myself
Enjoying it more than paradise lost easily. Pl was to powery and had no old x influence. Iconoclast is oozing with x influence. And the comments about sounding like other bands, give me a break they have not sounding so much like themselves in nearly 10 years... For what it's worth, they're just trying to appeal to everyone, give them a chance. You can't make everyone happy all the time. People should stop dwelling on another v and look to the future. I'm sure they'll right another concept monster, they've said they want too. So just enjoy the train ride untill we get there.

for some reason, despite what i posted yesterday, light up the night is growing on me, though still my least favorite. i actually like the main riffs now haha.

I think if they want to use a poll to influence the setlist for the upcoming tour, we should have a poll that lets you choose like your top 3 picks. Im sure the results would be a bit different.

When All is Lost winning in this poll sends the right message to the band.

Maybe the exact opposite, because it may give them the impression that writing more longer, slower songs would deplete the currency.

Symphony X still remains consistently awesome since DWOT. There may not many riffs as memorable as Walls of Babylon or Serpents Kiss but the album excels over PL in every other aspect. And i loved PL. It was different, darker, and SXs first attempt at being badass. This album addresses the criticisms of PL and it does it well (see Bastards of the Machine and other keyboard sections). And whats this crap i hear about "Russel Allen why you no sing soft? thats not singing wah wah." I just dont get it, he covers his range in this album probly the most out of the previous albums maybe excluding a few songs from DW and V. I can understand why one would prefer clean vocals but RA still sings dirty better than most dirty singers. He just sounds so.....manly.

I have voted Bastards of the machine!
It is by far my favorite song and I am simply having the most fun when listening to it.
I am enjoying every single note of this song since every part of it fits seemlessly into the others.
Some of the other songs to me have a problem that many progressive compositions share: the parts don't really flow or fit into each other and I often get the feeling of them just being "pasted" together for the sake of progressiveness. This effect fades away with repeated listening, but it annoys me a bit nonetheless.
If I should list my current list of favorites, it would be:

1. Bastards of the machine
2. Children of a faceless god
3. Heretic
4. Iconoclast
5. Reign in Madness
6. Lords of Chaos
7. End of Innocence
8. When All is Lost
9. Dehumanized
10. Light Up the Night
11. Electric Messiah
12. Prometheus

All in all I like the album quite a lot, even though I already went through phases of a) partial dislike, b) boredom, c) whatever and although I am more on the melodic side of Symphony X (huge V-fan) and didn't really like some of the harder songs from Odyssey and PL, I really must say that especially Bastards and Heretic surprised me, since I dig those very much and to me they have quite a lot of melody and cool riffing and are just cool songs without any unneccessary changes and lengths.

Maybe the exact opposite, because it may give them the impression that writing more longer, slower songs would deplete the currency.

No. Musically, this band does very unique and GREAT long/"slow" songs. They should never stop doing them. In fact they should be encouraged to do more.

Unfortunately, all that mainstream metal kids can appreciate these days is straightforward chugga-chugga metal songs (even from bands who are supposed to be "progressive").

My fav songs in order (nowadays, but it could change in the future):

1 Reign in Madness
2 Electric Messiah
3 Children of a faceless god
4 Lords of Chaos
5 Iconoclast
6 Bastards of the machine
7 Light Up the Night
8 When All is Lost
9 Prometheus
10 Heretic
11 End of Innocence
12 Dehumanized

I don't know about you, but I can appreciate any good song. Symphony X is all about being extremely versatile, leaning more to the harder side, and that's what it has always been maybe bar twilight. V would sound much more massive and much darker if the production was up to todays standards, but it isn't. Personally I'd want a remastering of V, but I guess the strange sound makes it rather... unique. Weird how dwot sounds much, much better.

As for Iconoclast, as of now, I've found myself listening to quite a few songs actually. Heretic, Reign In Madness, Children, Electric Messiah, When All Is Lost, Iconoclast. All of them are really damn good and I'm quite sure even more songs will open up later on. I had my doubts when I started listening to the record, but it's seriously getting better almost on each listen.

Why isn't Heretic more popular? No Odyssey fans here? :confused:

I don't get all the love for Electric and still nobody seems to care for Children very much? I think its one of the stronger songs on the album by far. Obviously I'm nuts.

I really like Children Of A Faceless God as well, it's among my favourites. Have to remember though that 34 people voted for When All Is Lost or Iconoclast so the poll doesn't show how they favour the other tracks on the album.

When All Is Lost
Iconoclast
Bastards Of The Machine
Children Of A Faceless God
Reign In Madness

Same top 5 I posted on first page, different order. I can't really choose a least favourite among them so easily, they all have something about them I really like.

I'll have to give it another listen to decide on a favorite song, but I heard it for the first time today and liked it quite a bit. Definitely better than Paradise Lost.

It was really hard to pick a favorite, really. I could only be certain it wasn't Bastards of the Machine, Heretic or Prometheus. All of the rest of the tracks are killer. Heretic is really great except for the chorus and bridge vocal rhythm. I really just don't dig that.