Female-Fronted Christian Metal

Verbum Lux

Aug 7, 2011
www.last.fm
So as the title suggests, I'm looking for female-fronted Christian metal bands to listen to. I was thinking today how so much of the secular metal - maybe even the majority of it - that I listen features female vocalists, but I know of little in the way of Christian metal that does. I'm a pretty big HB fan, and I enjoy Scandinavian Metal Praise ...... but that's pretty much it. Can anyone give me some recommendations?

If it helps, secular metal acts I'm into include Leaves' Eyes, Tarja, Delain, Nightwish, Xandria, Elis, and Katra.

Random Eyes' first album had Katja Palin (sadly she and the lead singer are now divorced)

This is some of her own solo stuff from later on

Venia is a Finnish band with a nice sound

Fountain of Tears (don't know much about them, random link)

Same goes with Undish

You can find plenty of these bands (most of which are barely known or made a single record in their whole career) by scouring through metal sites...

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I consider Flyleaf metal (even though some would say hardrock, whatever)
Lyrics are all definitely Christian themed, but you have to analyze. And Lacey's voice is something special.

If you are into hard rock there are some bands that have a good sound and are female fronted.
I like at least:
Fireflight
The Letter Black
Icon For Hire
Paramore

@Aletheus

I had heard of Random Eyes, but this is the first time I'd listened to one of their songs. They're pretty good. I'll have to look up more of their stuff.

That solo song of Katja's isn't metal, but it certainly is good. She have a lovely voice. Also, I couldn't help but notice that she's Katja Stefanovic now. Did a quick Google search and it appears she got remarried to Jani Stefanovic of Divinefire, and they did an album together. :)

The other stuff is interesting too. Particularly Undish.

@labarum

Well, Flyleaf is kind of metal-ish if not metal exactly. Or metal-ish at times, anyway. Whatever they are, I like them quite a bit. I also listen to the other bands you mentioned, except Paramore, which I haven't been able to get into. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Yeah she got married to Jani, and although that's great news I was sad to hear about her initial divorce. After exchanging a few emails with Jani some years back he told me that he considered all forms of organised religion evil but that his connection to God knows no limit. In any case it was nice to see him and Katja making music with a positive message.

Ivory Moon? They are sort of female fronted, and on the same label as Theocracy. A bit different but I like this song.

I forgot about Ivory Moon. I remember hearing a song by them (probably that one) a couple of years back. It's pretty good. I'll have to check out the rest of the album.

Random Eyes' first album had Katja Palin (sadly she and the lead singer are now divorced)

I can vouch for Random Eyes' album Eyes Ablaze (the first song Aletheus posted is from it). I've been listening to that one for years and it's excellent. I lost track of them after Katja left. All these years and I had no idea they were married...

I can vouch for Random Eyes' album Eyes Ablaze (the first song Aletheus posted is from it). I've been listening to that one for years and it's excellent. I lost track of them after Katja left. All these years and I had no idea they were married...

It's especially interesting that Christian Palin (ex-husband) and Jani Stefanovic (current husband) played together in the band Essence of Sorrow. I'm not sure of the timeline of events, though.

I'm shocked HB wasn't mentioned, who have released all their CDs in both Finnish and English. Or Scandinavian Metal Praise. There's also Eli and Voice of Glass. Some stuff to expand your horizons could be ForeverAtLast (seems like they've mellowed just a bit from their debut) or Whisper From Heaven is also good but I think they've still only done a few demo songs. Lots of options if you want to lean more toward rock.

What about Stryper?

Back in the 80s, when I was first getting into Christian Metal, I asked a DJ how many women were in Stryper and he replied:
"They're all women!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And now I wait for SeaStorm to banish me from the forum...

What about Stryper?

Back in the 80s, when I was first getting into Christian Metal, I asked a DJ how many women were in Stryper and he replied:
"They're all women!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And now I wait for SeaStorm to banish me from the forum...

LOL. Back in '86 or so watching the video for Honestly and hearing Michael Sweet's vocals on that song, I was extremely surprised to find out they were male vocals! Fast forward to now, and I am still a huge Stryper fan and love Michael's vocals. Though, his singing on some of the earlier ballads of their career is probably my least favorite aspect of his voice.

Ivory Moon is not a christian metal band, even some of their members claim to be christians.

There are another italian christian metal bands with girls on voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2FOdZrpuA

The girl name is Alessia Rapisarda and we used to be friends, not anymore :/

And there is another italian band: progressive christian metal S91
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07rFnnraNwg

From my country, Colombia we have Aggelos, gothic christian metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1MyIeDKJjE

Hypersonic is a really really really good band...I see good things in their future.

As for s91, the song didn't hit hard where it should've but that may be due to it being live. What bugs me, though....is the first 5 seconds of that video....WHAT DT SONG IS THAT...why is my mind failing me?!

I'm 80% sure its off Train of Though, and I'm leaning towards This Dying Soul, but I still can't put my finger on it.

Also does Aggelos have any studio videos? That version doesn't sound too appealing.

Never mind, I did some research myself and the band doesn't suit me, not my cup of T.

Another live video from S91. I know... low sound quality

Studio version

By the way, Francesco Romeggini from S91 plays a nice Theocracy guitar cover. That guy is awesome !

80's heavy metal with girl on voice. Boanerges from Argentina

And this is not properly power metal but I liked, they are from my city Bogotá. The Inbox

Enjoy !!!