First Borknagar material you heard

Kanyon

Genesis Torn
Jul 9, 2002
Sydney Australia
Visit site
I've had a look through the past threads and I am also pretty sure that I haven't seen this topic before.

But anyway, what was the first Borknagar material that you heard, roughly when and how/where? Just out of pure interest.

For me:

The Witching Hour
Must have been 2000 sometime
Actually heard it on a local radio station which has it's own metal programs on at certain times. I actually caught a few on the radio, it was getting played every couple of weeks. I think that I actually heard - The Witching Hour, Colossus, Revolt, The Dawn of the End, Oceans Rise, Winter Millenium and Fields of Long Gone Presence all on the same program over time. But it is difficult to remember, maybe it was actually less and my memory has gone a little haywire.

Oceans Rise in 2000 I think.
I downloaded it because I thought they had a cool band name.
I thought it sucked.
But after that I downloaded Dauden and thought it kicked ass.
My first album I bought with Borknagar was Empiricism and now I own all of them except Olden domain and Epic(I will buy Epic but I have no plans what so ever to buy Olden domain because I don't like that album).

Reactions: Rube634
Got first Borknagar albums in 1998. First heard them was in 2001 I believe. Sounds strange but I have zillion CD's that I've not listened to. Answer to how I listened to was due to Vintersorg joining them. Where: at home.

I bought the Century Black Firestarter compilation shortly after it was released and heard Dawn Of The End. From then on...

Winter Millenium was the first song I heard by them..

Someone mentioned Borknagar to me somewhere last year..and I decided to download them.

The olden domain... must have been in 97 or early 98. One of my friends had it and I bought it myself the next day :D It became my favourite in no time
Then within a few months I bought everything I could find with Garm :headbang:

Olden domain, when it came out. I have read a good review of it, then I made it copied for me in the local record shop. I even borrowed the inlay card of the cassette and went to make a colour copy of it. Home made piracy rulez, haha!
Curious enough, even though I loved this release, when I heard AC, I was hugely disappointed. I did not like Simen's voice. Then Quintessence was so blurry abyss-studio-sounding to me, but liked the songs. But Empiricism is perfect, I love thet CD.
Epic: I really looking forward to it, how it sounds, how is the basswork of Asgeir and really, will it live up to my expectations?

I had ordered a Rotting Christ CD from Century Media called A Dead Poem and there was a Century Media Sampler album called Darkness We Feel and there was a Borknagar track on there from the Olden Domain..I just remembered when I first heard it, the guitars were so mysterious and a little sad..reminded me of the woods a bit.

And then I lost the CD but remembered the name Borknagar. (Also, later, because I had read that Garm was in the band and I was a huge fan from his Arcturus work.) And started collecting Borknagar..

I would have to say this band has had the best vocalists that has ever worked in the genre...but the guitars REALLY are the first to have caught my attention...

Oceans Rise .. on Firestarter.. Century Media compilation i think...

So.. I fall in love with Borknagar... extremmely. Just last week, I listen The Archaic Course about 15 times... (when I work, I put the album, on repeat) I tried to find the failure in this music.. there's no failure!! It's a perfect album

So.. now I listening Empiricism... ;) in Repeat mode..

The first Borkie song I've heard was Colossus. My sister got the Quintessence tape (yup tapes are still popular here), and, since I never were much into that Black Metal hype and stuff, put it aside. But then one fine mourning I woke up, went to the player and just pressed play. And guess what was in there... I was shocked in the beginning, but from that point on... well, my new love was born...
:)

Hmmmmm
The first song I heard from Borknagar was The Genuine Pulse.. in 2001, I got fan and then I went to buy all their stuff.
Cheers.

Drakaeon said:
Oceans Rise .. on Firestarter.. Century Media compilation i think...

Mistakes...
Oceans Rise was on a BW&BK compilation (Knuckletracks), and Firestarter is a Century Black compilation.. but the Borknagar song on Firestarter is The Dawn Of The End (the second Borknagar song I heard)..