Folk/Black Metal Crossovers

Nebbiez

Tech/Prog Metal Maniac
Sep 25, 2005
London, UK
Hey, nice to see you've got a forum up and running guys! Good stuff! I wanted to get a thread started on folk/black metal crossover bands. As we all know Sil Veth is for those who like folk in their black metal :headbang: Anyone got any other good suggestions? A couple I'd like to throw into the mix are Dornenreich and Vintersorg, both fantastic bands. Bitter Ist's Dem Tod Zu Dienen by Dornenreich is probably my favourite black metal album of all time, plus the fact the vast majority of the instruments and the vocals are done by one guy. The lyrics are all in German, but they're about love, dreams and imagination, which I think is a nice change from the usual 'death, hate, murder, satan!' lyrics typically associated with black metal.

Hey - welcome aboard!

Vintersorg, Drudkh and Dornenreich are definitely on my list as big time favourites. I'm listening to "Nchtlich Liebe" as we speak. Aside from being a great state change catalyst, this music also seems to have a positive effect on my typing speed.. :)

As I was working on this list, asking myself 'what genre is this?' each time I brought up the imaginary cover of my favourite album in my mind, I realized that what I was really asking myself was - 'what kind of energy, what kind of value does this work bring into my life?' :zombie:

So I went ahead and used that as the criteria instead, moving past the conventional musical labels such as 'black metal', 'folk' and etc.

Ulver - Bergtatt
Mörk Gryning - Tusen År Har Gått
Wintersun - Wintersun
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
Cruachan - Tuatha Na Gael

I'm missing a few here, will be back when I remember what they are :)

-Alex
/SV

Thyrfing, Windir, Summoning, Finntroll, Dimmu Borgir (kinda), Slechtvalk

These bands combine black metal music with medieval and viking folk music.