'Ghost of the Spring' TOUR - Your impression after the show...

Judging from the response they got in Finland, not only here but on other forums and with journalists, Katatonia is a very good live band when the sounds are engineered properly. We'll see if they improve when they leave Eastern Europe, because I'd be first to blame the technology and engineers there (based on reports from bands that have toured there).

Hey (this is my first post on Katatonia's domain on UM - so I thought I 'd say 'hey')...

I'm going to see Katatonia the 10th of may in Ghent (Belgium) It will be my second Katatonia gig, but I was wondering... No one mentioned The Old Dead Tree yet? I thought they were Katatonia's support?? Correct me when I'm wrong please. But I'm truly looking forward to their gig too, everyone should check out this band...

Ormir said:
Judging from the response they got in Finland, not only here but on other forums and with journalists, Katatonia is a very good live band when the sounds are engineered properly. We'll see if they improve when they leave Eastern Europe, because I'd be first to blame the technology and engineers there (based on reports from bands that have toured there).

sir Ormir, i can assure you that the gig thay played in wroclaw wasn't such tragic and the band was very pleased with the reaction they got.
indeed, the equipment at 'src' isn't so new, but thier promotor in poland gets this club for free and i don't think that in this case he cares if the sound was good or not. but, on the other hand, i've seen at this place many others bands that sounded much better... i don't know how was in budapest but in wroclaw thier had thier own engineer. i recorded the concert and i can say it is quite 'bearable'.

@Ormir your right is only partial...

pes said:
the gig thay played in wroclaw wasn't such tragic and the band was very pleased with the reaction they got.
f'n true, I've heard many shows, which were much much worse...

pes said:
their promotor in poland gets this club for free ... thier had thier own engineer
Hmm, I forgot 'bout that... But "Engineer's" look was quite cool, and that situation with counting, hehe :)

Dhatura said:
So Katatonia played live in Budapest yesterday. And I'm terribly, terribly sorry to say but it was awful because of the sound. The whole program was like a mess, no distinct sounds could be heard, the singing was weak, no clear guitar solos. All I could hear was some overwhelming bass (but not the bass guitar itself). All those magical tunes were lost in a pile of shit.

I talked to Jonas before the gig in Potsdam (I just got back home) and he said that the show in Budapest was really good.

Anyway, I'm to lazy to review the gig I just witnessed, so let's just put it this way:

headbob.gif

P.S. Dark Suns (who support Kata during the German leg of the tour) are really good. Sort of a cross between Anathema & Opeth. Check them out, even if you're not gonna see them live.

the_joy_of_grief said:
I talked to Jonas before the gig in Potsdam (I just got back home) and he said that the show in Budapest was really good.
I have traveled 400 kilometres from here(Belgrade, Serbia) to Budapest just to see Katatonia live, and I think the concert was GREAT. Of course they had some problems with the sound in the beginning , during the first two tracks(Ghost of the Sun and Criminals), and that's quite normal for every concert, to sound shaky in the start, but with the 3rdtrack (Teargas) the band fell into a pocket and sounded really awesome. The Budapest audience was also great, they knew all the material and sang all the songs with Jonas, and Sleeper and Tonight's Music were the evening's highlights IMO.
I was lucky to talk to the whole band in the backstage afterwards and Mattias, Jonas and Blakkheim told me this was one of ther best concerts ever.
I will try to post some pictures in a few days, so stay tuned.

Cheerz

Viele, liebe Grüße an alle, die in Potsdam dabei waren :hotjump:
o.k, wenn ihr zu faul seid, dann werd ich es wohl mal tun; ihr dürft dann ergänzen...
So, here´s my statement:
I saw Katatonia live sunday night in Potsdam. When I arrived with some friends of mine, we were lucky to joint the band while "soundchecking". We took some pictures with Jonas, Fred and Mattias. Anders and Daniel still were on stage. So we didn´t dare to ask them to take a picture with us, too (you know, I´m so shy...). Anyway, right then I met the joy of grief, falling bird and farewell (kind of a Kata-Forum meeting?). It was quite funny. We talked to Jonas a bit, drank some øl and were looking forward to seeing the show.
At 08.45 pm Dark Suns started. They were o.k. Reminded me very strong of Opeth (joy already said that). Interesting: The drummer was singing! I guess they brought some friends from Leipzig as support ´cause lots of people knew their songs.
After the second band Beyond the Dawn finished, Katatonia finally entered the stage at about 10 pm. The first song they played was ghost of the sun – as they usually do on this tour. This time they played sleeper again. The last one was murder. I was a bit disappointed ´cause they left out my favourite part of song (you know, when the drum playing changes, I don´t know how to describe it better).
The show was fantastic. What else can you expect of Katatonia?
Pics will follow soon.

Parabola said:
When I arrived with some friends of mine, we were lucky to joint the band while "soundchecking". We took some pictures with Jonas, Fred and Mattias. Anders and Daniel still were on stage. So we didn´t dare to ask them to take a picture with us, too (you know, I´m so shy...). Anyway, right then I met the joy of grief, falling bird and farewell (kind of a Kata-Forum meeting?). It was quite funny. We talked to Jonas a bit, drank some øl and were looking forward to seeing the show.

Lucky YOU :)

falling bird said:
Me too
lol.gif

This show was a great experience!
Hope to see 'em again soon :)

So I will!

This was the best concert ever! :headbang:
After we arrived at the Waschhaus in Potsdam two hours before the gig had to be started, we met Parabola and their friends and went in. And there were they :yow: Katatonia at work and make the sound check. :OMG:
While Daniel was testing his drums, Jonas, Fred and Mattias sat on a couch. This was actually the time of making photos.
“The joy of grief” talked with Jonas as you can see above.
Although or because of that there weren’t such many people in the club it was very nice to bang the head, especially at “I break” :headbang: . I stood right to the feet of Anders and Jonas :worship: . Awesome! My photos will proof it!!!
I had such a headache when we drove home that I thought I was still banging my head.
The end.