'Ghost of the Spring' TOUR - Your impression after the show...

Yeah, I was dissappointed too, that there was such a small amount of people in Krefeld. :erk: It's strange, maybe because Sisters of Mercy played in Düsseldorf the same day?
I forgot to say that it was very funny that the Katatonia drummer was really giving 120 % when playing "murder" and he was hitting the cymbals so hard, that when Blackheim saw it , he had to laugh. Really cool. :p

Dark Suns were really good, agreed.

seems drums were too devoted everywhere hehe ;) daniel, you've scored !!!

btw, we also have in Poland one big fest, almost in the same time as Katatonia gigs... annoying :(

:( to all tour managers! you should check local environment sometimes before fixing the termins... these are market researches, haven't you been learning marketing ??????

I saw Katatonia in Switzerland, it was a really small club, so small stage as well, but the atmosphere was cool. But lots of people left after Finntroll, and for Katatonia maybe only 50 people stayed :(
But their performance was just great!!! I will write a review in these days, we also made an interview and lots of pictures, can see it at www.darkscene.at then :)

Katatonia3.jpg

Fortunately Swiss audience is not always like it was in Schindellegi... Drop in at the z-7 sometimes!!! :)

I had to look for the concert hall for almost an hour too. Even
some inhabitants did not know about Dioxin. Nevertheless the region is beautiful. I think FINTROLL members should have gone to hunt trolls in the mountains but Trollhorn and Skrymer were too busy hunting groopies :D :D

Dora said:
Hi all,

I started to write this message on the road into my Palm handheld which went wrong then and landed in the trash.. :( so it's a DOOMED double review of the Swiss gigs.

It was my first time to see the band on the 17th of April in AARAU, Switzerland. It was funny because we had some friends in our company who went to see the Welsh Catatonia band (with "c") and they were shocked when Fintroll began. :)

Anyone who accused the SWISS audience being boring, passive .. was right, mainly for this concert (OK, easy for me to say it as I'm Hungarian.. but I've seen enough swiss shows to say that they are usually cold as ice). Noone danced, exept 2-3 girls twisting in front. No singing and not even clapping to the rhythm. The band was calm, cool and a little bit emotionless but I can understand it. The rhythm section was cute and cool :) and ANDERS played wonderfully, though I don't really like his kind of (80's style) posing. But my first surprise or worry was that I couldn't really hear JONAS's voice.. I was afraid he can't sing as good as on the CD but I think the mixing was bad, the sound was awful.
but at least Aarau is a town, not like the next venue, SCHINDELLEGI on the 19th of April. This place was a far industrial area near a village which is located in the mountains somewhere, literally "in the middle of fucking nowhere". No street name, no address, even my friend couldn't find it with GPS.. oh.. and no lights on the streets. So it was almost an hour to find it from the main train station (no need to tell, the last train goes at 11, so you're stucked). Despite of this, the audience here was much better, hence the mood, the show was more lively. People sang, clapped, danced.. Though lots of them was there for only Fintroll.. strange. I travelled there alone, because I couldn't miss this another show. After having dinner in a fancy restaurant dressed pretty in white and beige I felt _really_ uncomfortable among those authentic dark black metal guys in the club :) One red T-shirt was the lightest color I've seen exept on myself.

The band members seemed to be more friendly, walked around the place before the show started, mingling with the crowd :) But one mug of beer was not enough camouflage :)) so I stopped MATTIAS for an autograph... He seemed to be surprised when I pulled out a Katatonia guitar-pick from my pocket instead of a CD or such.. but I'm not sure what kind of attitude I could reflect. (option 1: she might have a guitar and wanna be a star, what a crazy bitch.. option 2: she has no money therefore she bought the cheapest thing we sell, option 3: if she's into guitars, why not asked the solo player instead of the bassist? She may want something from me, ha-ha.. option 4: this is a chick and a pick and I sign it no problem) He was very nice, and just then I started to feel like a scared teenage fan so I quickly escaped from the scene to have a beer... damn, I can't be still such a stupid bitch 10 years later! :( So that's all about my "meeting the band" adventure. :)

I really enjoyed the show from the first moment to the end, it was great, and it SOUNDED great! I made some pictures mostly during the first 2-3 songs, then I stopped. Some other people did the same but there were some chicks in the front who constantly attacked them with the flash light during the concert, they were annoying .. I don't think it's a polite thing. I don't remember the setlist, it was something similar that mentioned before. The encore was the greatest - of course, it was pity that they left in spite of the good mood. I hope to see them again ASAP!! :) (which is a great improvement as a fan, because before these times I didn't even know who played in the band.. mea culpa, usually I don't give a shit about biographical info when I buy a CD until I see the guys with my own eyes.)

I have my regular net connection down, but later I try to post some pictures. Cheers,

Dora

Ermmm... taking into account the reviews from Switzerland and supported by Finntroll now I´m really scared of what may happen in Spain next week. I don´t mind the crowd, even if I´m the only fool headbanging and singing there! :D But I only hope the gig´s alright...

dg said:
Fortunately Swiss audience is not always like it was in Schindellegi... Drop in at the z-7 sometimes!!! :)

I had to look for the concert hall for almost an hour too. Even
some inhabitants did not know about Dioxin. Nevertheless the region is beautiful. I think FINTROLL members should have gone to hunt trolls in the mountains but Trollhorn and Skrymer were too busy hunting groopies :D :D

Well, Switzerland is quite too expensive for me ehe, its cheaper to see a gig in Vienna even its more far away from where I live.... But I may come back again for a nice gig at Z7, hoping that the audience is more enthusiastic there... :)

I saw the article appeared on darkscene.at.. Nice review, DragonLady1.. though I dont know German, so I read it by altavista's translator... hence, it's really not clear for me what happened to the tangas and eggs together :))

Dora said:
I saw the article appeared on darkscene.at.. Nice review, DragonLady1.. though I dont know German, so I read it by altavista's translator... hence, it's really not clear for me what happened to the tangas and eggs together :))

:tickled:

lol, that was just a funny story, talking about eastereggs and the katatonia tangas that they sold at the merchandise... :loco:

Hi everybody , yesterday I saw Katatonia in concert right here in my hometown , Rome (Italy)!
I was very excited about this event,since it was my first time (and also my first occasion to see them).

The first band in the list was "Visions of atlantis" , a sort of "Within temptation" -like band.I've never heard them before,and I didn't really liked them...

SEcond was "Finntroll" a really cool band. I think that a lot of metal-kids came yesterday just for them ;in fact many of them left the club before Katatonia started playing! That's a really stupid behaivour,in my modest opinion...However,I don't understand why Katatonia tours with this band...it's a completely different style of music ,and different audience too!well....

Finally,some minutes after midnight (my girlfriend was almost sleeping on the floor...) ,Katatonia went onstage.
At this time,I think that there were nearly 100-150 persons...but many of them were just looking at t-shirts or drinking in some corner...
I'm really sad about that,because I think that the band deserved a warmer audience...everybody were just in a really "katatonic" state...I also think that the band tried to play the more "rock" material , in order to "wake up" the audience.
The started with "Ghost of..." .After just a couple of tracks the voice was perfect : I think the sound,in total,was amazing and nearly crystal clear!
I particularly enjoyed songs like "Chrome" , "Sleeper" , and in my opinion the best performance was on "I break" and on "the future of speech"

The band was really tight and concentrated...it was a perfect gig!
Sadly,I couldn't stay till the end due to major problems,so I've missed the last 15 minutes...that's a pity...
...I'd like to know if there's someone else here who attented at the same show,to exchange some views!
bye!
michele

now I'm too tired and lazy for an accurate report...but i saw katatonia both in vicenza and in milan and can only say that they are excellent live!
I really wanted to thank the guys for their friendliness, I had a lot of fun and it was nice to talk to them and celebrate Anders' Birthday!( yes we baked a cake for him:))
Two unforgettable days, thank you again, you are all amazing people!:)
i only took pics in vicenza, because in milano i really wanted to be free to enjoy the gig, headbanging and so on...hope the pics will turn out good..be patient for a while.

my firts impression seeing anders on stage was that his new look makes him similar to devin townsend... a bit younger maybe...

I saw Katatonia in Vicenza, and I was really happy.:Spin:They played after vision of atlantis and fintroll,and did a very good show. I was in the first line, and I used to have jonas right in front of me.:loco:
His voice was a bit down-low for the first 2 or 3 songs, but then he got better.THere was even a lot of troubles....The jonas mic got broken, and fred broke a guitar cord. well this was an opportunity for them for play the song "for funerals to come" and then the last song of the gig was "murder" I was in awe when I heard Jonas sing in growl, Even if he lost his ability he did it very good.
So the playlist was:

Ghost of the Sun
Criminals
For funerals to come
Teargas
I am Nothing
Complicity
Sweet Nurse
Chrome
Sleeper
I Break
For my Demons
Future of Speech
Tonight's Music
Evidence
Murder

VISION OF ATLANTIS :cool:
They were good, and I enjoyed them very much. Liked their within temptation style, the female singer has a really good voice.Good keyboards as well.

FINTROLL :erk:
I liked them, but the music matches were absolutely wrong. That black-folk metal was wrong in there. A lot of people came for them, and a lot of moach came out.
ONly one thing. They sucks at the eyes....And they stink. THey looks ridicoulus and the singer was for launching the mic stick right in my face.
They ruined a bit the show.

I had the autographs by Jonas and Mattias and a photo with them.
GREAT GIG! KEEP THIS WAY!!! :hotjump:

Mellon said:
I....The jonas mic got broken, and fred broke a guitar cord. well this was an opportunity for them for play the song "for funerals to come"

yes Fred had a very good idea playing "for funerals to come":)
It's a pity that the acustic of the club wasn't that good, but a part from that the gig was awesome!

---:::--- 20/04/2003 - Easter in the name of KatatoniA ---:::---

After one year and half exactly as Jonas told me during their previous European Tour with Novembre and Opeth in November 2001, KatatoniA came back to Italy and for well 3 dates this time!!! I would’ve liked attending the gig in Rome, where I saw them the first time back in November 1996 (with In the woods… and Blackheim at vocals!), but then chose Vicenza, even for trying Midian, a very small but comfortable club. Unfortunately there weren’t so many people, though it was Easter. I reached the place when even the bands arrived; Fredrik & Daniel were very nice to greet my friend and me. We met al the guys from KatatoniA before the show, but Anders (we’ve been told that he wasn’t so well that day) and although they haven’t talked so much, they’ve been nice to us, signing all our stuff and takin’ pix. When the gig was over however, they all seemed to be great talkers instead! … power of beers?!?

Let’s draw a piteous veil over Visions of Atlantis. I didn’t like the vocals a at all, especially the male ones, and that sort of sympho-power-goth not so much original isn’t definitively my fave cup of tea, sorry.

Finntroll killed me instead! I think that a good part of the crowd was there for this weird act. Very good presence on stage; one of the guitarist wore kind of a fur and the bass-player kind of leather long skirt just like me, cool! The vocalist was a real ‘scraper’ and each time he introduced a song, was very funny, saying ‘this song talks about mushrooms’ (the magic ones?), ‘this one about cooking’ and so forth. The other guitarist on the left (the one who replaced the former one) was sooo 70’s and the keyboard-player was the absolute protagonist with his kind of Folk melodies. Very involving; I banged my head all the time!

It was over midnight when KatatoniA started, right after a very short intro, with “Ghost of the Sun” and “Criminals”. I was in front of Jonas and couldn’t shot any picture to Daniel, the killer drummer behind him. Hope someone did it and encloses some live pix here, would be great having just one! Anders was on the right side for this tour, also handling some vocals. The two magic bros were both on the left; I think that Matthias had a very rock’n’roll attitude, didn’t you? Unfortunately during “Criminals” there have been some problems with the mikes and we would’ve liked them to play it again. During the change of mikes, someone screamed “For funerals to come” and Fredrik, unbelievable, played it! It was a pity that Anders didn’t play anything when one or two songs after Fredrik had problems with his guitar instead. “Teargas” turned out marvellously, especially the guitars in the opening. Also liked how “The future of speech” and “Tonight’s music” turned out, probably even bcs these are 3 of my absolute fave songs ever. “Complicity” followed by “Evidence” (the one hit wonder!) was an excellent choice. During the final “Murder” I was sooo excited that I thought those poor old-style barriers under my arms would’ve flown somewhere really high… aaaah, 5 days pain, closer now than eveeer!!!
I would’ve liked listening to a couple of songs minimum more from “Discouraged Ones”, as well as “Funeral Wedding” or “Without God”, just like the first time I saw them, but I imagined that they would’ve mainly played songs from the last two records.

A few technical problems apart, as well as the play-list quite foreseeable, I had a lot of fun-fun-fun-fun-fun, jumped up’n’down, banged my head, shut, sung all the time! Brilliant gig, hope they’ll be back soon!

-----oooOooo-----
Through the bleak window of my soul
In marble halls of falling snow
Winter touch the earth undone
Embittered we embrace the Funerals to come.
-----oooOooo-----​

For funerals to come? Cool, but did Jonas sing?

Wildhoney said:
---:::--- 20/04/2003 - Easter in the name of KatatoniA ---:::---

After one year and half exactly as Jonas told me during their previous European Tour with Novembre and Opeth in November 2001, KatatoniA came back to Italy and for well 3 dates this time!!! I would’ve liked attending the gig in Rome, where I saw them the first time back in November 1996 (with In the woods… and Blackheim at vocals!), but then chose Vicenza, even for trying Midian, a very small but comfortable club. Unfortunately there weren’t so many people, though it was Easter. I reached the place when even the bands arrived; Fredrik & Daniel were very nice to greet my friend and me. We met al the guys from KatatoniA before the show, but Anders (we’ve been told that he wasn’t so well that day) and although they haven’t talked so much, they’ve been nice to us, signing all our stuff and takin’ pix. When the gig was over however, they all seemed to be great talkers instead! … power of beers?!?

Let’s draw a piteous veil over Visions of Atlantis. I didn’t like the vocals a at all, especially the male ones, and that sort of sympho-power-goth not so much original isn’t definitively my fave cup of tea, sorry.

Finntroll killed me instead! I think that a good part of the crowd was there for this weird act. Very good presence on stage; one of the guitarist wore kind of a fur and the bass-player kind of leather long skirt just like me, cool! The vocalist was a real ‘scraper’ and each time he introduced a song, was very funny, saying ‘this song talks about mushrooms’ (the magic ones?), ‘this one about cooking’ and so forth. The other guitarist on the left (the one who replaced the former one) was sooo 70’s and the keyboard-player was the absolute protagonist with his kind of Folk melodies. Very involving; I banged my head all the time!

It was over midnight when KatatoniA started, right after a very short intro, with “Ghost of the Sun” and “Criminals”. I was in front of Jonas and couldn’t shot any picture to Daniel, the killer drummer behind him. Hope someone did it and encloses some live pix here, would be great having just one! Anders was on the right side for this tour, also handling some vocals. The two magic bros were both on the left; I think that Matthias had a very rock’n’roll attitude, didn’t you? Unfortunately during “Criminals” there have been some problems with the mikes and we would’ve liked them to play it again. During the change of mikes, someone screamed “For funerals to come” and Fredrik, unbelievable, played it! It was a pity that Anders didn’t play anything when one or two songs after Fredrik had problems with his guitar instead. “Teargas” turned out marvellously, especially the guitars in the opening. Also liked how “The future of speech” and “Tonight’s music” turned out, probably even bcs these are 3 of my absolute fave songs ever. “Complicity” followed by “Evidence” (the one hit wonder!) was an excellent choice. During the final “Murder” I was sooo excited that I thought those poor old-style barriers under my arms would’ve flown somewhere really high… aaaah, 5 days pain, closer now than eveeer!!!
I would’ve liked listening to a couple of songs minimum more from “Discouraged Ones”, as well as “Funeral Wedding” or “Without God”, just like the first time I saw them, but I imagined that they would’ve mainly played songs from the last two records.

A few technical problems apart, as well as the play-list quite foreseeable, I had a lot of fun-fun-fun-fun-fun, jumped up’n’down, banged my head, shut, sung all the time! Brilliant gig, hope they’ll be back soon!
-----oooOooo-----
Through the bleak window of my soul
In marble halls of falling snow
Winter touch the earth undone
Embittered we embrace the Funerals to come.
-----oooOooo-----​

Last night I was in Caracol - Madrid (Spain), enjoing Katatonia live. The setlist was very similar to all the other concerts around Europe, in fact, exactly the same that in Krefeld (Germany). I don't remember the order exactly, but i think the songs were as follows:
Ghost Of The Sun
Criminals
I break
Teargas
For My Demons
Sweet Nurse
Sleeper
I Am Nothing
Complicity
Chrome
Tonights Music
The Future Of Speech
Evidence
Muder

The sound was a bit bad at first, like most of you have reported the voice wasn't very clear, guitars neither and the bass a bit too strong. However, Daniel was superb and very self-motivated all the time, striking the drums with rage and precision. Anyway, I liked all the songs, except maybe Sleepers, but i suppose those are just my personal likes. I would like them to change a bit more they setlist and to play Sulfur, one of my favourites, or Clean Today. I thank them for playing Murder at last, even when they changed that style a long time ago. Jonas did it great!
Finntroll, it's ture that they don't fit too well there, but i think they sounded pretty good, altough i don't like their folk very much.
We'll just have to wait for antoher supergig like last year's with Opeth and Novembre (they didn't come to Madrid).
Thanks to Katatonia and to the promoters for bringing them here, despite i think they may have lost money, since the place wasn't exactly crowded... it's a pity.

You're right, I think that they really lost a lot of money for this tour,and in fact i hope that it'll be another opportunity to see them live here in Italy in the future.....

Also,I wished that the set was a bit longer,but anyway it was great!