Ghost Reveries Compared to the other albums

btw, songs like Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds and Isolation years are have more traditional opethian influence than everything in deliverance and damnation combined. quit your whining.

ghost reveries is a very mature release. you claim to be an opeth fan but then tear them down for evolving? fucking brilliant.

I feel the exact same way about Ghost of Perdition, as I feel it exemplifies all that is Opeth in one song. It replaced The Drapery Falls as my favorite song, which I feel is also a song that is all Opeth, not missing one thing that they do.

If people are to complain, it shouldn't be that they are mad that Opeth is losing touch with the "old" Opeth, but instead that you just like the old stuff better. How can anybody complain about progression. I would hate to have Opeth having put out Still Like I, Still Life II, etc etc. ANy good band evolves, and it's your choice to like or dislike the direction they are heading, but not to blame a musician for evolving. That's the sign of a good musician. And I feel Opeth has done a spectacular job in being around for > 10 years and having put out so many wonderful albums/songs.

I feel the exact same way about Ghost of Perdition, as I feel it exemplifies all that is Opeth in one song. It replaced The Drapery Falls as my favorite song, which I feel is also a song that is all Opeth, not missing one thing that they do.

If people are to complain, it shouldn't be that they are mad that Opeth is losing touch with the "old" Opeth, but instead that you just like the old stuff better. How can anybody complain about progression. I would hate to have Opeth having put out Still Like I, Still Life II, etc etc. ANy good band evolves, and it's your choice to like or dislike the direction they are heading, but not to blame a musician for evolving. That's the sign of a good musician. And I feel Opeth has done a spectacular job in being around for > 10 years and having put out so many wonderful albums/songs.

ooohh, thats why its overrated...what the fuck does that have to do with anything you retard

because hes implying that i havent grasped, paid attention to, or appreciate still life...so i need to get AIDS and "die". the point is i was appreciating that album when he was in diapers, so he has no place telling me it owns my soul or whatever nonsense. im well aware its a great album. im simply saying its very overrated among most Opeth fans.

I can just tell you that I really like everything the band has put out. The Song "The Grand Conjuration" isn't really my cup of tea, but it's just one song on an otherwise brilliant album, in my opinion. I've been listening to the band for seven years and they're still my favorite band in the world because they do what it takes to keep ME interested. It's perfectly understandable why some people might not like the latest album, but that's because taste is subjective. There's no absolute truth as to which album or era is better, so I think this kind of argument is pointless. But that's, again, just my opinion.

I've been a fan of Opeth for about 5 years now. The reason I started listening to their stuff was because of the way they were palying back then. I love Orchid, M<orningrise, MAYH. I've got to admit that Still Life is probably the greatest progressive album I've ever heard, specialy the song Godhead's Lament.
That was the introduction. Just want to now your idea about the new face of opeth. I'm talking about damnations and ghost reveries. Well, Damnation and Deliverance are great, no doubt about it, but my impression about opeth was totally different. I hope it makes scense, absolutely great pices of work like orchid up until still life (maybe deliverence), and then damnation!!!
I was quite dissapointed when i heared damnation, i agree that its very nice and is full of feelings, but as an opeth album?
Now, My new problem is the Ghost reveries album. I think its the worst theyve ever done. I would never ever expect something like the fuckin' "Atonement" in an opeth album. What the bloody hell is that song, absolute non-scense.
I'm so sad that Martin Lopez left the band. I hanv't heard Axe's druming, (they'll be playing in Portsmouth tomorrow night whach is 50 mins drive from where i live (in England), but i'm going to miss it as i'll be working at that time, quite pissed off about that, anyway). I think Martin Lopez has done a great job.
Please let me know your ideas about the GR album...
Cheers, Harry.

I mostly agree with you... except imo there are a couple good tunes on gr, like GoP, and BotH... and as for the lopez comment im sad too, but axe is a really good drummer too, and i'm interested in hearing some new opeth songs with axe included

I've been a fan of Opeth for about 5 years now. The reason I started listening to their stuff was because of the way they were palying back then. I love Orchid, M<orningrise, MAYH. I've got to admit that Still Life is probably the greatest progressive album I've ever heard, specialy the song Godhead's Lament.
That was the introduction. Just want to now your idea about the new face of opeth. I'm talking about damnations and ghost reveries. Well, Damnation and Deliverance are great, no doubt about it, but my impression about opeth was totally different. I hope it makes scense, absolutely great pices of work like orchid up until still life (maybe deliverence), and then damnation!!!
I was quite dissapointed when i heared damnation, i agree that its very nice and is full of feelings, but as an opeth album?
Now, My new problem is the Ghost reveries album. I think its the worst theyve ever done. I would never ever expect something like the fuckin' "Atonement" in an opeth album. What the bloody hell is that song, absolute non-scense.
I'm so sad that Martin Lopez left the band. I hanv't heard Axe's druming, (they'll be playing in Portsmouth tomorrow night whach is 50 mins drive from where i live (in England), but i'm going to miss it as i'll be working at that time, quite pissed off about that, anyway). I think Martin Lopez has done a great job.
Please let me know your ideas about the GR album...
Cheers, Harry.

Why is Atonement nonsense? I actually found it to be a pleasant surprise on the album. Sure, it's not your average song, but then again, this band has released 8 albums, surely some room for experimentation? I would prefer Opeth to experiment and progress and release an album like GR than something like St Anger.

Let's just make a comparison between the sound's quality of this album with Orchid, then you can see the different. However, I don't deny that Ghost Reveries seems to be the weakest link of the chain, there is only one reason, this album is a masterpiece, and prior 7 albums are greater masterpiece.

It is a Heavenly album, smart riffs, magical keyboards, sexier growls, the singing improved, TGC is flawed because of the useless repetition, but still is a great song...overall Gr is a beautiful album, no complaints from me rly.

Ghost Reveries Compared to the other albums? Sure.

It has the best drumming yet, IMO. Yes, better than Deliverance. I say that not because GR had tighter technical passages, but because the marriage between Lopez's &#252;ber double bass metal skills and his groove are flawless. The vocals are supreme. Songwriting is at its best. You can hear Mendez more than on past albums, a definite plus - and what we here is damn good. As far as guitar work goes, the solos are the best, and it's the cleanest album so far.

I'm no music critic, but I think that if it weren't for these emotional attachments we've developed for albums like Still Life and MAYH, Ghost Reveries would be THE best album. No one that JUST got into Opeth thinks that there's a better album they've put out than GR, and isn't not because all of them are fuckers. This album may have been the best Opeth's put out so far.

GR was my introduction to Opeth, which probably puts me in the minority on this board ,but it was one hell of an introduction. The album never seemed to get stale after several listens. Mike's vocals on the album are superb, Mendez's bass lines are probably the best he has done so far with the band and you can actually hear them, especially on Harlequin Forest, and the addition of Per adds a whole new depth to an already endless array of sonic exploration.

GR is not my favorite album by Opeth, but it definitely is a great album and shows the band's consistency, in addition to their willingness for experimentation.

i love how the op has yet to resurface and say anything. i smell troll.

btw, i love gr. i think it's an incredible accomplishment, especially considering it's the 8th album in opeth's discography and it doesn't show a significant lack of creativity (imo).

if you (harry.ska) want to listen to a band who keeps churning out the same record, go listen to rhcp, and leave opeth to the people who can appreciate musical evolution.

if GR would be my introduction to opeth, I think I wouldn't have been totally blown away. however I must admit that Opeth has broadened my musical perspectives immensly, they are my introduction to complex music actually (for about 7 years already now) ...
by following their evolution I came to appreciate every direction they took so far, not having a predetermined idea about what the next album should be like, but merely by wondering what their next step will be.

TGC is my least favourite opeth-track actually, but I can understand why they made it, and it's not that I think it's a bad song or something like that, but for my feeling the idea behind it didn't come true as much as intended, it's not that "evil sounding" as it was intended to be for my perception.

I also don't think they will put out albums eniterly in the style of atonement, I think it's a well-accomplished one-time experiment (like there will probably be more in the future, always different, simply trying stuff they like). so why complain if you don't like it that much?
they listen to all sorts of music, they like so many different styles, so why shouldn't they write some songs in different styles once in a while? ... it's THEIR carreer, THEIR choices, THEIR lifeswork ...
if your hobby is painting, and you are really devoted to it, than you don't keep on painting the same painting over and over again do you? you try stuff ... sometimes it works out better than other times, but you look for new ideas, and you try what you like most ...

GR is a good album. I like the production on the whole, but I preferred the rhythm guitar sound off of BWP the best. However, the lead tone on GR is great, something which really makes their solos shine. I always felt that many of Opeth's previous solos were lacking a little bit of impact due to the lead tone, and GR really cleared that up. I love Mike's vocals, but at the same time, I wouldn't have wanted this (clean) style on, say, Bleak, but I likewise wouldn't have wanted the Bleak sound on Ghost of Perdition.

Atonement is good, my problems with it are two-fold. The first is that I just don't feel tons of emotion from that song. Like the emotion on that song specifically feels superficial to me. The second is that it gets me a little like Master's Apprentices' does: it is just a little bit too derivative. I like hearing the influences in songs as opposed to having the song sound like someone, which is my biggest problem with the first part of MA. This being said, I think the song is good and I like it a fair amount.

Overall I liked Ghost Reveries a lot, but it will never be my fave b/c the arrangements seemed to get simpler in some places. In some parts this seemed to be a way of trying to accommodate Per and his keys, but then Per mimics a lot of what is being played on guitar, no harmonies or counter-melodies, just the exact things, just maybe at a higher octave. As a fan of big textures and walls of sound and lots of layers of different melodies and sounds (the part in Bleak right before the second chorus leaps to mind) the simplification of a lot of these parts really brought the album down for me. Like in the Grand Conjuration, which I like, the main riff could have had some cool harmonies on the keys, maybe some acoustic guitar thrown in, maybe some e-bowed stuiff, etc., and that song would have no parts which I found even vaguely uninteresting.

Finally, some of the song endings just seemed like they ran out of ideas. Beneath the Mire and Harlequin Forest specifically. Especially pitted against the ending to Ghost of Perdition, which is phenomenal. When that song is done you just feel blown-away. Whereas Beneath the Mire it's like, ok, c'mon, we're not going anywhere.

But overall I like GR. It has a lot of great moments, and I hope that the next album incorporates certain things from it and continues to move forward. I would also like to see a return of some of the folk influence a little bit. I think it would make the early 70s prog clean sections resonate a lot more, plus I really dug the folk breaks they would do (here's look at you Godhead's Lament).

It is a Heavenly album, smart riffs, magical keyboards, sexier growls, the singing improved, TGC is flawed because of the useless repetition, but still is a great song...overall Gr is a beautiful album, no complaints from me rly.

agreed

Ghost Reveries is a great album, and getting greater by the minute!
When I first got it, I liked it. I didn't pay much attention to songs like Beneath the Mire, or Atonement, but lately I've been seeing how good these songs actually are, in part due to my growing interest in 70s prog-rock (thanks to the recommendations from these boards), like camel. I can see where Opeth are coming from. The rest of the songs are damn good, and the album is now probably my third favorite. Personally I wouldn't mind if Opeth got even more experimental on their next album, neither would I mind another Blackwater Park, which is my favorite album.