Give me classical music tips

Btw, have you herard Schubert's Winterreise?

Yes I probably have. I should buy me some more Schubert though. It's so freaking easy to find ultracheap good classical music... Right now I'm Listening to Purcell's King Arthur, some parts of it are definitely suited to the bleak dark BM weather too, especially the "Song of the cold", that Elend ripped off (like so many other themes) on Les Ténèbres du Dehors.

All of Chopins Nocturnes but classical music is for lamers of course. Also the Rites of Spring, even though ballet is EVEN MORE LAME than just regular classical.

Among my favorite symphonies:

Bruckner - 5,8,9
Mahler - 2,5,6,9
Beethoven - 5,6,7,9
Tchaikovsky - 6
Sibelius - 5,7
Schumann - 4

Everything can be found on YouTube, sometimes even in superlative interpretations. But once you're into it, there's no turning back ;)

Beethoven's late string quartets are incomprehensibly amazing.

Too hard for me still to understand, to grasp. Not that it's meant to be.

On the other hand, I have no problem with his very late sonatas but I'm still under the shock of his symphonic work. The fifth is the completely flawless, the sixth absolutely delicious, the seventh triumphant and the ninth.. well you know :worship:

By the way, you can look up some very interesting compilations on YouTube. They contain many famous themes the origins of which are sometimes obscure :cool:

His Op.131 is probably the beginning of Avant-Garde as we know it.

And yes, his 9th Symphony is just absolutely ridiculous....ESPECIALLY the last movement. Easily my favorite symphony I have heard from any composer.

Only an idiot wouldn't know that the harpsichord went out in the 1700s, and most classical music from the 1800s and on doesn't have any harpsichord. That idiot also wouldn't know that every single instrument used in jazz is used in classical music. I guess there goes your "gayest instruments ever" argument...

P.s. If you think the harpsichord sucks, listen to Poulenc's concerto for harpsichord.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHhAAHHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!

Only an idio wo...BHAHAHAAHAHAHHHHHAHAHH!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fktwPGCR7Yw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Had a class on Beethoven back as an undergrad. I remember spending a whole week on that, hence why I have it on my iPud. Too bad that was my first morning class and I was always baked out of my gourd, otherwise I might remember what he talked about. Is that one of the later string quartets, when he was basically batshit insane and throwing in wacky scherzos just for the fuck of it?

Shostakovich is the most metal composer. 4th and 8th Symphonies are masterpieces