GMD Book Club

Not 'blindly critizing" anyone. I'll disagree with you on the smarter and more educated part as well. Just because someone spews large amounts of nonsense using big words does not make them smarter or more educated. Just makes them sound like a moron.

Sometimes "big words" are helpful in conveying ideas. I will admit I don't really know Dakryn or much aboot him, but I have seen him articulate positions well, and be blasted as an idiot by people who simply disagree with him. Just because he presents unpopular positions doesn't make him an idiot.

I like you, dude, but I think you are wrong here. Either that or I don't understand what your real problem with him is. Not sure where the hypocrite thing is coming from.

Sometimes "big words" are helpful in conveying ideas. I will admit I don't really know Dakryn or much aboot him, but I have seen him articulate positions well, and be blasted as an idiot by people who simply disagree with him. Just because he presents unpopular positions doesn't make him an idiot.

I like you, dude, but I think you are wrong here. Either that or I don't understand what your real problem with him is. Not sure where the hypocrite thing is coming from.

Your opinion of me being wrong is OK. My feeling toward him is based on reading some of his arguments in some past threads. To be perfectly honest with you, I have spent entirely too much time talking with AND about him. So as of this post I am done.

I don't want to hijack nor do I want to fuck this thread up. A book club is a great idea. So I'd much prefer getting back on track with the topic.

:)

Attempts to pull thread back on topic

The Art of War would also be a good inclusion even though just the book itself, minus the various commentaries available, is rather short. How are we going to pick the book? Poll style or just have a roster of who is participating and let the choice rotate?

Let's go chronologically, beginning with the Iliad.

Please, no more Iliad. One can only take so much Homer. :cool:

I know everyone's discussing classics and trying to decide which ones would be best; but honestly, there are plenty of modern books that are very intelligent and warrant interpretation/discussion. Here are just a few that I would suggest:

Saturday (Ian McEwan)
House of Leaves (Mark Danielewski)
The Road (Cormac McCarthy; I've also never read Blood Meridian, but that could be an option)
The Hero With a Thousand Faces (Joseph Campbell; non-fiction)
The End of the Affair (Graham Greene)

These are just a few I can think of (we wouldn't necessarily have to do these books; the authors are good). Modern fiction (and non-fiction) has plenty to say, and lots of it is more accessible than older works.

I was initially thinking we would have a rotating roster choice type thing, where you get a turn to pick if you read the previous selection, and that we would just all commit (within reason) to be subjected to the choice at hand. This would sort of "force" us to try something we might not otherwise. But I am not sure that would be acceptable to everyone. Especially since I am planning to choose the Bible when it's my turn.

Just kidding...GOSH!!!

We could do it by poll, but I don't want to set up a thing where some people's submission never get picked.

What say the rest of you?

Personally, I'll read anything recommended. But a vote would be fair. Maybe a rule to use would be that anyone who's suggestions is used does not get another suggestion until everyone participating has had a chance. Just a thought.

What type of time limit are you looking to put on each book? I think that is a major issue. I read fairly fast and quite often but I do realize some people have less free time than I do. Especially in the coming Fall and Winter months.

Please, no more Iliad. One can only take so much Homer. :cool:

I know everyone's discussing classics and trying to decide which ones would be best; but honestly, there are plenty of modern books that are very intelligent and warrant interpretation/discussion. Here are just a few that I would suggest:

Saturday (Ian McEwan)
House of Leaves (Mark Danielewski)
The Road (Cormac McCarthy; I've also never read Blood Meridian, but that could be an option)
The Hero With a Thousand Faces (Joseph Campbell; non-fiction)
The End of the Affair (Graham Greene)

These are just a few I can think of (we wouldn't necessarily have to do these books; the authors are good). Modern fiction (and non-fiction) has plenty to say, and lots of it is more accessible than older works.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend George R. R. R. R. R. Martin...

We could do it by poll, but I don't want to set up a thing where some people's submission never get picked.

Or people not involved mess with the vote. Id rather cycle through a roster of participants. Need to have some way of doing an order, unless we just did it alpha/reverse alpha or whatever.

I made a tentative list of participants and put it in the first post.

If we're going alphabetically, that makes me first. Problem is I am ignorant and don't know any books. I was thinking about Animal Farm, a suggestion by someone else. It sounds interesting. Any input on this?

There's nothing wrong with Animal Farm, but it's a little simple. I think I read it in either 7th or 8th grade. It would take most people here one or two sittings to finish.

I would be more interested in something modern. And something that we could reasonably expect to find in a library would be nice too.