GMD Poll: Immolation's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Immolation’s 10 studio albums. Order and number each album 1-10. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 10 points, your second place album earns 9 points, etc.

You may rank as few as 6 albums. Lists with less than 6 albums will not be counted. If you list less than 10 albums, the first placed album will still get 10 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.

At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until September 23rd to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit. Just rank them as you see them.

Dawn of Possession (1991)
Here in After (1996)
Failures for Gods (1999)
Close to a World Below (2000)
Unholy Cult (2002)
Harnessing Ruin (2005)
Shadows in the Light (2007)
Majesty and Decay (2010)
Kingdom of Conspiracy (2013)
Atonement (2017)

Reactions: CiG
I sat the last one out because I wasnt familiar enough with Megadeth. Doing this one off the top of my head is easy. Might edit this at some point but first and last are locks.

1. Dawn of Possession
2. Close to a World Below
3. Here in After
4. Unholy Cult
5. Shadows in the Light
6. Majesty and Decay
7. Failures for Gods
8. Atonement
9. Harnessing Ruin
10. Kingdom of Conspiracy

Kingdom of Conspiracy sucks shit.
Unholy Cult needs a proper re-release.

At first I was mad this wasn't Slayer but then I thought about it and figured since I really only have two albums I really like from this band (debut and M+D), it'll be worth putting a lock to the others I have heard and maybe I like more of them now. I still haven't heard Shadows.

At first I was mad this wasn't Slayer but then I thought about it and figured since I really only have two albums I really like from this band (debut and M+D), it'll be worth putting a lock to the others I have heard and maybe I like more of them now. I still haven't heard Shadows.

Slayer is next. I figured thrash-death-thrash is more engaging than thrash-thrash-death.

1) Here in After
2) Failures for Gods
3) Dawn of Posession
4) Unholy Cult
5) Close to a World Below
6) Shadows in the Light
7) Majesty and Decay
8) Kingdom of Conspiracy
9) Harnessing Ruin

Haven't heard Atonement and likely won't even bother to check it out. I bet it's somewhere between Majesty and Decay and Harnessing Ruin though. But really, there is a pretty large divide between Close to a World Below and Shadows in the Light for me.

Majesty and Decay man, I love that record after re-listening to Immolation's albums again but I don't remember thinking much of it the first time around. What a fucking vital, brutal sound and a top notch production job that works so well.

The first four places in my list are pretty much cemented, I hadn't heard Atonement yet so I played that on Youtube. Made it halfway before turning it off honestly. It's definitely not bad, they've obviously never released a bad album imo, their formula is too strong, but a whopping letdown by comparison to their other stuff.

Anyway, maniacally consistent band.
  1. Here in After (1996)
  2. Dawn of Possession (1991)
  3. Unholy Cult (2002)
  4. Failures for Gods (1999)
  5. Majesty and Decay (2010)
  6. Close to a World Below (2000)
  7. Harnessing Ruin (2005)
  8. Shadows in the Light (2007)
  9. Kingdom of Conspiracy (2013)
  10. Atonement (2017)
Dawn of Possession is in its spot almost entirely on nostalgia, I probably should bump it down and make room in the upper echelon for Close to a World Below, but I listened to Dawn of Possession a billion times in my teens so it holds a special place. I don't think it is as overwhelming and powerful as their usual material though.

Last edited:
I don't mind Kingdom of Conspiracy myself. The production is really monstrous, whereas I thought Atonement was underwhelming.

Atonement is great, guys. Every song is great. I still have to relisten to Kingdom of Conspiracy tho.

And I'm not a fan of production on Here in After. That's a pity, cause it would be a much better album.

1. Close to a World Below
2. Unholy Cult
3. Dawn of Possession
4. Here in After
5. Failures for Gods
6. Shadows in the Light
7. Harnessing Ruin

1) Here in After
2) Close to a World Below
3) Unholy Cult
4) Dawn of Possession