GMD Poll: Top Ten Films of 2019

I'm sure I listed it in the 2018 thread.
giphy.gif

Thanks to Wainds for taking a billion years to wrap this up, ended up finally seeing Portrait of a Lady on Fire and absolutely loved it, put it in my numero uno spot. Might regret that later, oh well. Fucking amazinggg.

Also watched Besson's Anna (basically a remake of La Femme Nikita with John Wick-style action and less plot) and The Wild Goose Lake which has a lot of potential, filmed very nicely, but I kinda felt like it dragged a bit.

Reactions: Einherjar86
If this stays open another week I could actually post a list. Considering that now 4 of the '2018' films I've seen are 2019 under the fresh year criteria (1st non-festival screening in an English-speaking country). Just got 2 I'm planning to watch.

1. Under the Silver Lake
2. The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
3. Joker
4. Parasite
5. Ford v Ferrari
6. Lords of Chaos
7. Diego Maradona
8. High Life

That's all I've seen, apart from the latest Tarantin-bro which I can't bring myself to list.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Doctor Sleep was fucking awesome, decided to add it to my list. Was it a bit Hollywood blockbusterish at times? Sure but I loved its unapologetic dedication to its own world and all the psychic stuff was really engrossing (many parallels to a Warhammer book I'm reading right now), also great cast.

I kinda wish I watched The Shining again before watching this, but oh well.

Finally I have some free time at hand.

In order:

Joker
Parasite
The Irishman
Togo
Quien a hierro mata
Intemperie
Alita: Battle Angel
The Farewell
The Lighthouse
2 Popes

Pretty decent year so far. Joker wins over 1917 and Parasite not for the film itself (in pure "technical/objective" terms, 1917 is the best), but for its meaning to these days. Joker is an era defining movie.

1. Midsommar
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  3. Parasite
  4. Joker
  5. The Two Popes

Saw seven in total, two aren't worth listing.

Reactions: CiG