GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2018

you know the rules by now. probably won't close this 'til may sometime so take your time. think the plan is that CiG's game will keep running alongside, unless The People object to that.

Where-to-Stream-Best-Films-2018.jpg

The lady with the "murder murder murder" and "kill kill kill" earrings, what's that from?

I didn't think I watched 10 films from this year but it turns out I watched about 20. Most of the films were crap. Hereditary is the only one out of this "top 10" that I'd want to watch again.

1. Hereditary
2. Annihilation
3. The Night Comes for Us
4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
5. Apostle
6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
7. Avengers: Infinity War
8. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
9. Mandy
10. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

1. Hereditary (Ari Aster)

I can’t recall too many films that deal with grief and guilt in such a devastating way. It’s unbearable watching Toni Collette (who is just extraordinary) wrestle her trauma and almost equally so watching the corrosive effect on the other family members. A sense of imminent destruction pervades every moment of the story. Gets even better on repeat viewings, notwithstanding the slightly goofy ending.

2. Shoplifters (Hirokazu Koreeda)

An abused child (seemingly from a well-to-do family) is ‘adopted’ by a poor family and is inducted into their life of petty crime. What shapes up as a manipulative Spielbergian tearjerker becomes so much more than that. The ‘family’ members are tied together in strange, almost parasitic ways; the true nature of their relationships are revealed only gradually and obliquely. It takes genuine sensitivity to tell a story like this and Koreeda has complete mastery of his material. It resists obvious moralising and demands a lot of the viewer, as it should.

3. First Reformed (Paul Schrader)

The comparisons to Taxi Driver are obvious, but in some ways Schrader is even more shrewd here in using a likeable, kindly priest to explore alienation rather than someone who is already an outsider like Travis Bickle. And whereas Taxi Driver really focuses on Bickle’s disillusionment and anger, First Reformed balances things by honing in on Father Ernst’s own sense of guilt, hypocrisy, complacency and self-loathing. Although the Hippocratic Oath doesn’t apply to priests, Schrader seems to be asking us to question the wisdom of “First, do no harm”. Aren’t we doing harm by doing nothing?

4. Under the Silver Lake (David Robert Mitchell)

As previously posted: Starts out as a languid noir in the vein of The Long Goodbye and Chinatown, rapidly becomes a Pynchon-esque urban Alice in Wonderland. Inherently silly but daring, outlandish and funny enough to get away with it. From the director of It Follows.

5. Upgrade (Leigh Whannell)

Tech-noir thriller which adeptly balances serious sci-fi concepts with stylish hyper-violence. Just damn good fun.

6. The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos)

Razor sharp satire on power and manipulation which plays out as one part Oscar Wilde, one part All About Eve, and one part Blackadder. Standout performances from the 3 female leads.

7. The House That Jack Built (Lars Von Trier)

I’m not sure if the idea for this film was hatched prior to Lars Von Trier being implicated in ‘metoo’ type scandals, but either way it’s difficult to see this film as anything but Von Trier’s violent, offensive and very funny middle-finger riposte to censorship and political correctness. It still has the pretentiousness and obviousness that I don’t like about Von Trier (particularly towards the end), but its strengths are hard to deny. Matt Dillon is brilliantly sleazy.

8. Den Skyldige (The Guilty) (Gustav Moller)

A cop working in a call centre receives an emergency call from an abducted woman and has to track her down. I’m a sucker for thrillers that play like ‘theatre’, ie taking place in a single location where we have to piece together what is happening off-screen. It forces the director to make the most of the limited tools at their disposal. This is a taut, clever example of the style.

9. Strange Colours (Alena Lodkina)

Technically a 2017 release, but not screened in my town until 2018 so I’m counting it. This beautiful, minimalistic and sparse story takes place in a remote Australian opal mining town populated by reclusive souls, as a teenage girl tries to reconnect with her gruff, estranged, terminally ill father. Or perhaps it’s the other way round. Imagine if Wake in Fright was directed by Wim Wenders.

10. Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino)

A successful reimagining of Argento’s classic. The success comes from the way it subverts our expectations from the original and introduces new perspectives. Firstly there’s the maternal relationship between Susie and Madame Blanc; to some extent it’s there in the original but doesn’t really go anywhere. Secondly, whilst the original film is about witches who just happen to run a dance school, Guadagnino develops the linkages between the two: the allure of the occult becomes a metaphor for the desire for power and success, and for the vices that plague successful artists and sportspeople. Appropriately, then, dance plays a much more central role (in fact all the best scenes incorporate it). Visually it’s very striking too, without imitating Argento. But the attempts to place the story in a socio-political context largely fail, and at times it does feel bloated and meandering as a result.

11. Todos lo saben (Everybody Knows) (Asghar Farhadi)
12. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen Bros)
13. Zimna Wojna (Cold War) (Pawel Pawlikowski)
14. Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
15. Free Solo (Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Vasarhelyi)
16. Mission Impossible – Fallout (Christopher McQuarrie)
17. Annihilation (Alex Garland)
18. Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Marielle Heller)
19. Climax (Gaspar Noe)
20. They Shall Not Grow Old (Peter Jackson)

Cold war looking pretty wack. Got about 20 minutes left.

Halloween and first reformed the only worthy movies?? Maybe!

I still haven't seen Leave No Trace, First Reformed, and You Were Never Really Here. I imagine those would make my list.

1. Hereditary

Hands down my favorite, I loved what the film did in with the miniaturist imagery. Exploring issues of how we really know what's inside someone/thing, and some nice meta-cinematic synecdoche going on (i.e. the miniature as metonymic stand-in for the film set).

2. The Favourite

Hands down my second-favorite. :cool:

3. Sorry to Bother You

4. Roma

5. Mandy

I'm putting this on my list; it didn't try to be more than it was, and the atmospherics created between sound and image, music and visuals, were amazing.

6. Apostle

I think maybe a lot of people missed this one, but I thought it was great. Gritty, dark cosmic/pagan horror.

7. Annihilation

Beyond this, it starts to get iffy for me, and I imagine some of the ones I haven't seen would bump out those I have. If I can watch a few before the deadline, I'll add them.

I still haven't seen Leave No Trace, First Reformed, and You Were Never Really Here. I imagine those would make my list.

1. Hereditary

Hands down my favorite, I loved what the film did in with the miniaturist imagery. Exploring issues of how we really know what's inside someone/thing, and some nice meta-cinematic synecdoche going on (i.e. the miniature as metonymic stand-in for the film set).

Agree + I also think Aster was highlighting how the characters were puppets in their own lives, being manipulated by outside forces.

Reactions: CiG and Einherjar86
Agree + I also think Aster was highlighting how the characters were puppets in their own lives, being manipulated by outside forces.

Totally. And I also thought it was significant that the miniatures were Annie's purview, and not her children's. Meanwhile, Charlie creates these profane, Frankenstein-ish toys. The film is so much about what passes on from parents to children (in various ways), and I felt that her investment in the miniatures/toys speaks to that theme.

Because I'm a narrative nerd, I always think of theoretical and/or critical things I've read upon seeing a film like Hereditary. In this case, it reminded me of a book by Susan Stewart called On Longing: Narratives of the Miniature, the Gigantic, the Souvenir, the Collection. Two quotes in particular jumped out at me:

On the one hand, we have the mechanical toy speaking a repetition and closure that the everyday world finds impossible. The mechanical toy threatens an infinite pleasure; it does not tire or feel, it simply works or doesn't work. On the other hand, we have the actual place of toys in the world of the dead. As part of the general inversions which that world presents, the inanimate comes to life. But more than this, just as the world of objects is always a kind of 'dead among us,' the toy ensure the continuation, in miniature, of the world of life 'on the other side.' It must be remembered that the toy moved late to the nursery, that from the beginning it was adults who made toys, and not only with regard to their other invention, the child.

That last line is really compelling w/ regard to the film, which is doing something with parents and children. Charlie makes toys and Annie makes dollhouses. Charlie's toys are literally made of dead things, Annie's houses represent dead things...

There's another quote that's a bit more conceptual:

Occupying a space within an enclosed space, the dollhouse's aptest analogy is the locket or the secret recesses of the heart: center within center, within within within. The dollhouse is a materialized secret; what we look for is the dollhouse within the dollhouse and its promise of an infinitely profound interiority. In fact, we can see the dollhouse-maker's relative inattention to the exterior of his or her structure as further evidence of this movement inward. Like the fashion doll, the dollhouse was originally (and perhaps still is) an adult amusement.

It strikes me that there's another analogy here, on which horror capitalizes: the image of possession/supernatural manipulation (which also ties to the philosophical "problem of other minds"). Possession/manipulation raises of the question of whether someone is themselves, so to speak, and how to tell. In Hereditary, perhaps the uncertainty of the narrative (whether Peter's actions were being directed or not, whether he was a puppet all along) causes us as viewers to try and peer more closely into things, so to speak--to find the within within the within.

That book sounds very intense for something with such a banal title! Have you ever read House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski? If not, I highly, highly recommend it. I was gonna try to summarise it but it's harder than it sounds so I'll just give you a wiki link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Leaves

It's one of my favorite works of contemporary fiction. :D I read it while I was in undergrad, and used to always sleep with my closet door open. After finishing HoL, I had to close it at night. Creeped the hell out of me. And a good comparison to Hereditary too!

And it's not easy to summarize. I recall telling someone once that it's a fictional edition of a hedonist's rambling commentary on a blind man's commentary on a documentary film about a house that moves.

And it's not easy to summarize. I recall telling someone once that it's a fictional edition of a hedonist's rambling commentary on a blind man's commentary on a documentary film about a house that moves.

Add "non-existent" before "documentary" and it's as pithy as anything I could come up with.

Have you read Danielewski's The Familiar series? I struggled to get started with the first book and haven't gone back to it.

Reactions: Einherjar86
No, I haven't, but you're not the only person who's said that.

I've read Danielewski's The Fifty-Year Sword and some of Only Revolutions (although I do intend to finish this someday). Neither was as impressive as House of Leaves.