GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2018

all joking aside i'm sticking to my longstanding eligibility rules where i only factor in US and UK theatrical release dates, but everyone else can feel free to do whatever they want. it's kind of a clusterfuck with movies.

I watched Ballad of Buster Scruggs last night, it was enjoyable but I feel like it also kinda went over my head. I dunno, the Coens doing comedy often doesn't click with me.

Has anybody here seen Destroyer (Nicole Kidman) yet?

I still haven't seen Leave No Trace, First Reformed, and You Were Never Really Here. I imagine those would make my list.

Did you end up getting around to any of these? Been pretty curious to read the more politically vocal users' thoughts on something like First Reformed. Also am I tripping out or did you say you have watched Hold the Dark? If so, didn't like it enough to list it?

Did you end up getting around to any of these? Been pretty curious to read the more politically vocal users' thoughts on something like First Reformed. Also am I tripping out or did you say you have watched Hold the Dark? If so, didn't like it enough to list it?

I haven't yet, just too busy. But First Reformed and You Were Never Really Here are both on my amazon watchlist. I'll get to them before the end of August.

And you're not tripping--back when I made the list, I completely forgot about Hold the Dark. Like I said, Annihilation has grown more on me, so I'd probably put Hold the Dark just after it. Should give it another viewing though...

Reactions: CiG
Having just returned from the cinema watching the Canadian movie "La Chute de l'empire américain", I've changed my list and put it at no. 8, which means that "Solo: A Star Wars Story" dropped out of the top 10.

the deadline for the 2015 poll is the 12th and i think CiG's gonna hold off on starting the next one until i've wrapped this up, so i'm setting a rock hard deadline of 30th september for this. only four months late, don't @ me.

here's something i posted a few months ago listing some of the most interesting looking movies of 2018, for anyone who wants some ideas of stuff to watch.

Well, fuck. I come here with controversial news. I finally watched You Were Never Really Here, and wasn't a fan. I thought the narrative was thin and hackneyed (granted it's based on a novel, but that's not really an excuse) and relied too much on flashback, in some cases omniscient flashback that felt cheap. The film felt too tightly wound, like it went for razorwire sharpness at the expense of narrative development. I would be okay with this, but I also didn't find the narrative satisfying or compelling--and it should have been. The conspiracy felt simplistic to the point of cliche, and the film somehow managed to fail to make me care much about it. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a character study or a conspiracy drama, but I feel like it fell short of both.

Also,
how the hell does Joe take out all these gov't agents with a fucking hammer? Not that that's not badass, but the film gives no attention to how he manages to pull this off. Not even John Wick is that lucky. And ironically, I'd be okay with it in a John Wick movie because it's John Wick! In this film, it just felt like it went for too much out of too little.

It's disappointing, because I'm a fan of Ramsay and I'm psyched for Mobius (if it ever gets made).