GMD Votes: Top 10 OSDM albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, TM and BM lists please.

This kind of reminds me of the awesome shitstorm of a thread/list that Crimson(i think?) did a few years back. But i cant remember if that was just one list, or we had one for each sub-genre. Ahh ... good times, lol.

It was just one big list. Two Agalloch albums in the top 5 IIRC, amazing list.

Look, dickheads, I am going to do the following GMD Votes threads:

Thrash
Black
Traditional

Maybe Prog and Doom if there's enough interest.

Give me some time mother fucks. It's a busy time of year

Fairly impressed with the overall top 10.

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene

I love Bolt Thrower, but some of their shit sounds the same. Just listen to Embers and The Killchain, the intro in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Death was still around, the would be going on the vein of SoP...No thanks.

Don't know how i missed this. But no way dude, they were actually steering towards a far different(more progressive) direction. They're one of the original technical death metal bands, but they never played "tech-death" ... which was basically introduced to us in 98 by Necrophagist, the same year Death's last+most progressive album(TSoP) was released. Aside from the fact that his death metal was also highly technical(in a completely different way), they shared just about nothing else with the "tech-death" bands of today. You should try giving his last few albums a shot, not gonna be what you're expecting.

I love both bands.

Don't know how i missed this. But no way dude, they were actually steering towards a far different(more progressive) direction. They're one of the original technical death metal bands, but they never played "tech-death" ... which was basically introduced to us in 98 by Necrophagist, the same year Death's last+most progressive album(TSoP) was released. Aside from the fact that his death metal was also highly technical(in a completely different way), they shared just about nothing else with the "tech-death" bands of today. You should try giving his last few albums a shot, not gonna be what you're expecting.

I love both bands.

For whatever its worth, I was raised on Death at the start of my metal journey. One of my favorite DVD's throughout all of high school was Death: Live in LA (At the Whiskey). Which has a lot of SoP shit on it. Still have it actually, and love the fact its filmed in Black and White too.

But that was when I did not know any better. Then got introduced to their earlier material, and other bands that kept it real and was like..."FUCK...They fucked up."

Sound of Perseverance was a more progressive step than any of their other albums, how can you say its not? The only thing that stuck out to me with SoP was Chuck's leads on some songs. Some of those solos blew my mind when I was a kid, trippin on mushrooms and just getting into metal. Death used to be one of my favorite bands, but I blasted them so fucking much that it grew stale and honestly, if it wasnt for these forums I wouldnt have recently put them back on my iPod and started back listening to em again.

Another thing thats relevant to bring up as to why I did not like the direction they were heading was its too wanky for my tastes now dude. Too wanky and too technical. I fucking hate that shit, but I used to be into all sorts of bullshit like that because I thought it was cool, but it got stale real quick.

Theres no arguing its their weakest album, and it really is the only thing we have to say, "Well, this mustve been the direction Death was heading..." Obviously none of us know because they never got the opportunity, just a clue and evidence of what was last put out.

Basically, you either like the change or you dont. I was too young to know the difference, and when I finally realized it, I realized I was a young kid who didnt have his tastes fully developed. I respect the hell outta the guy. But hes in the same boat as Dimebag, people worship him like a fucking God, and hes not. In fact, it makes me not want to listen to their shit, and havnt for so long because I dont want to be a associated as a Chuck Schuldiner/Death fanboi because hes not worthy of such masturbatory praise.

:lol: i thought you were talking about SoP ... the band. Just disregard that whole post.

But that was when I did not know any better. Then got introduced to their earlier material, and other bands that kept it real and was like..."FUCK...They fucked up."

Death used to be one of my favorite bands, but I blasted them so fucking much that it grew stale and honestly, if it wasnt for these forums I wouldnt have recently put them back on my iPod and started back listening to em again.

But hes in the same boat as Dimebag, people worship him like a fucking God, and hes not. In fact, it makes me not want to listen to their shit, and havnt for so long because I dont want to be a associated as a Chuck Schuldiner/Death fanboi because hes not worthy of such masturbatory praise.

L O fuckin' L! :lol:

Now i regret having that little misunderstanding because most of your response post is just making me shake my head. Just sad.

:lol: i thought you were talking about SoP ... the band. Just disregard that whole post.

L O fuckin' L! :lol:

Now i regret having that little misunderstanding because most of your response post is just making me shake my head. Just sad.

Fuck SoP too. Hate that shit.

And dont treat me like a child and just LOL me and not rebuttal me or atleast explain your bullshit dismissal.

PM me if you want so we dont throw this thread off.

Mostly the dimebag part. Chuck is not only one of the most important people in death metals history, but in all of metal. He helped "birth" the subgenre that we all love so much today, and later pushed it to its boundaries(att). WTF did Dimebag do? Not a significant person to metal in any way really.

That and the whole "im too cool to listen to Death now" attitude. That's one of the worst fucking mindsets to have when it comes to music, completely "poserish" imo ... not that i'm calling you a poser.

edit: @krow: Fanboi or not, even if you dont like his music, to say that he's not one of the most important people in the history of death metal is completely wrong and says a lot about the poeple who carry that opinion.

I wont push this any further

edit 2:
Fuck SoP too. Hate that shit.

I know you do, that's why i though you were saying that Death were going on the vein of SoP... plus, that's the abbreviation of the bands name.

The more I listen to Human the more I realize what a boring album it is, and how far behind the tech-thrash scene it was.

The more I listen to Human the more I realize what a boring album it is, and how far behind the tech-thrash scene it was.

I agree, but it is a solid OSDM album. Symbolic is more on par with quality tech-thrash in my opinion.

I started out my metal journey with progressive metal like Symphony X, so the more technical the better here. I enjoy Death's later albums more than their early stuff.

Not gonna lie I haven't heard 7/10 of the top 10 OSDM albums according to this thread. I'll make it a point to listen to them, but when does voting close? Might be able to listen to them the day after christmas at earliest.

I agree, but it is a solid OSDM album. Symbolic is more on par with quality tech-thrash in my opinion.

Who cares whether it was tech-y enough? Who bases whether an album sounds good based on it's genre? Gay.

What made Human so good was that it's where they really hit there stride and more full expanded upon the sound and style touched on by the previous album. It's where Chuck really developed his distinct riffing style and sound, where their lyrics became more than the standard fare, and Death fully grew into Death.

Sit and listen to SBG or Leprosy, listen to Human, then skip to the last or Symbolic. They fully developed the overall sound and playing style that made them unique with Human. Human is closer in sound and style to the last two than it is the first two. Death in the end still kept major elements of that formative era i.e. melodies, riffing, song structure, lyrical themes, and production/pathos/atmosphere/sound. The sound that is unmistakably Death.

So, no, rethink what you're saying. Thanks.

The problem is that it's also a very sterile/non-aggressive album. I love Leprosy, but Human drags despite being so short. And his "distinctive" riffing style is him repeating the same couple ideas over and over and over. By the point of Symbolic he had learned how to write better, flashier hooks to go with that kind of melodic style, but Human is still kind of a mediocre transition album. Still love Cosmic Sea though.

That's what makes it his style. Think of any guitar player with a unique sound. Hypocrisy has a massive amount of music using the same scales for hooks and riffs. Incantation uses the same kind of doomy death metal style riffs for 20+ years. Rotting Christ. Slayer. Etc. Weak argument. And if you find Human boring that's just too bad for you, really. Also, I didn't say Human was their best delivery in the style they developed, but it is the best mix of the old and later eras, while still being interesting and memorable. This is my opinion, and I shall force it in you like a mickey slipped by Bill Cosby.

Also, the guitar tones on SH, Human, and ITP are some of my favorite sounding death metal tones. Obituary being another tone rich, guitar driven band.

Off topic: I fucking love metal guitar. This is not controversial nor important to anyone here, but the first time I palm muted a distorted note on a guitar was the first orgasm I ever had. Metal is so great

Status
Not open for further replies.