GMD Votes: Top 10 OSDM albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what makes it his style. Think of any guitar player with a unique sound. Hypocrisy has a massive amount of music using the same scales for hooks and riffs. Incantation uses the same kind of doomy death metal style riffs for 20+ years. Rotting Christ. Slayer. Etc. Weak argument. And if you find Human boring that's just too bad for you, really. Also, I didn't say Human was their best delivery in the style they developed, but it is the best mix of the old and later eras, while still being interesting and memorable. This is my opinion, and I shall force it in you like a mickey slipped by Bill Cosby.

Also, the guitar tones on SH, Human, and ITP are some of my favorite sounding death metal tones. Obituary being another tone rich, guitar driven band.

Off topic: I fucking love metal guitar. This is not controversial nor important to anyone here, but the first time I palm muted a distorted note on a guitar was the first orgasm I ever had. Metal is so great

I think we had this discussion a week or two ago, but this is why death metal is an album's genre for me rather than a band's genre. Bands get so situated on finding a niche sound that they become afraid to leave it, and their albums tend to run together into one big homogeneous blahfest. Even Slayer showed different ideas up to South of Heaven/maybe Seasons, but with Death you get the same few riffs over and over, just with a different rotating backing band. Then compared to Chuck's influences, like Coroner, the lack of inspiration in the former becomes really obvious.

Oh wow. So now were accusing Death of being samey and repetitive? :lol: Are you guys kidding me, out of all the fucking bands we usually talk about in the DM and controversial threads, and that are even on this list? Incantation, Immolation, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower etc are all bands that stuck their own formula and you guys name one of the few bands that actually tried to push the boundaries of death metal and do something different? Ima' goo find a fuckin bridge to jump off.

retarded HBB opinion #9735678234675

Mostly the dimebag part. Chuck is not only one of the most important people in death metals history, but in all of metal. He helped "birth" the subgenre that we all love so much today, and later pushed it to its boundaries(att). WTF did Dimebag do? Not a significant person to metal in any way really.

That and the whole "im too cool to listen to Death now" attitude. That's one of the worst fucking mindsets to have when it comes to music, completely "poserish" imo ... not that i'm calling you a poser.

edit: @krow: Fanboi or not, even if you dont like his music, to say that he's not one of the most important people in the history of death metal is completely wrong and says a lot about the poeple who carry that opinion.

I wont push this any further

edit 2:

I know you do, that's why i though you were saying that Death were going on the vein of SoP... plus, that's the abbreviation of the bands name.

First off, tastes evolving doesnt imply a "too cool to listen" attitude, you fucking twat. Just because you listen to the same music for 20+ years doesnt make you a metal veteran whos better than everyone else with a differing opinion. My tastes simply evolved from when I was 14 and found other shit I like more. A concept you know nothing about.

And to touch on the whole chuck/dimebag thing, yes I understand his influence and respect him, which is what I said previously, just dont think he should be fellated to the point it makes me sick hearing about him. Just like how dime is fellated. That was my comparison. That was the point I was making. I was not bashing him or Death, so your over reaction further validates my point that if he, or the band get any sort of negative feedback, you douche fanbois get all butthurt and on a fucking rampage. Which I should be used to by now because its what you do about everything.

So in summary, your response to my points is bullshit, son.

Fuck you.

Why does saying you don't like his music cause panic, but I've now twice mocked his Death and no one jumped up to defend his honor then? You're all sick people. I'm going to start posting on /b/ again. Fuck it. I think I'd rather risk that then have this discussion any longer. Let's go to the DM thread and talk...

Oh wow. So now were accusing Death of being samey and repetitive? :lol: Are you guys kidding me, out of all the fucking bands we usually talk about in the DM and controversial threads, and that are even on this list? Incantation, Immolation, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower etc are all bands that stuck their own formula and you guys name one of the few bands that actually tried to push the boundaries of death metal and do something different? Ima' goo find a fuckin bridge to jump off.

I'm not saying they're samey or repetitive. I just said that I preferred Symbolic to Human because it's more technical and progressive, but that Human is a solid OSDM album. It was still my #2 album, I'm not hating.

1. Death - Symbolic
2. Death - Human

The riffs are samey and repetitive, not necessarily albums relative to each other. He basically has just a few riffs to alternate through, then comes up with the general sound/aesthetic of the album, and writes an album's worth of songs all based on that same sound. Human was just him using his notoriety to hire superior and more ambitious musicians. There were probably dozens of bands in 1991 that had already pushed the prog/tech boundaries of metal further than what he was doing.

First off, tastes evolving doesnt imply a "too cool to listen" attitude, you fucking twat.

"I dont listen to them because everyone else does" ...

people worship him like a fucking God, and hes not. In fact, it makes me not want to listen to their shit, and havnt for so long because I dont want to be a associated as a Chuck Schuldiner/Death fanboi

.. your own fucking words, you cuntfaced bastard.

Plus, wtf are you taking it so personally? Did Chuck assrape you at one of his shows back in the days or what? What a fuckin' broad :lol:

And yea, my musical taste has expanded big time since i was a youngster, i listen to a fucking wide range of metal ... but i still love most of the good shit that i liked when i was younger. But if you asked me what my favorite albums from each of those bands were back then you would have gotten a different answer than today. Shit, i didn't even like KiMB back then.:guh:

So you can dish it, but not take it? ;)

Not mad one bit, hombre. Youre just rubbing off on me.

Agree to disagree. Im drunk and apparently not getting my point across, and its really whatever.

... yuup. If you asked me what my favorite Megadeth album was back then i would have told you Youthanasia... which i still fucking love to this day, but their best? :lol: I disliked SNM, didn't care for KEA. Didn't really give a shit about most of the early albums from the bands i loved. Totally dug Metallica's black album and Chaos AD back when they were getting radio/tv playtime. I also liked White Zombie, Fear Factory, and even a few of the grunge bands back then ... too baked to remember others... i think i might have a fuckin' biohazard cd somewhere.:lol: And even though i "grew out" of some of those bands, i still enjoy listening to em every once in a while.

edit: Oh and I HATED black metal when i was younger. That's back when the subgenre fuckin' blew up.

I regularly listen to White Zombie, Alice In Chains, Chevelle, Soundgarden...its not all Satan and death all day. What evolved most for me is getting past older music sounding old and generalizing all bands of a similar style as either good or bad based on that. I don't think I liked almost anything older than '88 at one point.

Fairly impressed with the overall top 10.

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Demilich - Nespithe
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene

It's not bad but sort of surprising to see Incantation on there twice. They're good but there are plenty of better bands left off the top 10).

I'm not saying they're samey or repetitive. I just said that I preferred Symbolic to Human because it's more technical and progressive, but that Human is a solid OSDM album. It was still my #2 album, I'm not hating.

I know, it was geared towards BB, that's why i edited his named in there at the bottom.

It was just one big list. Two Agalloch albums in the top 5 IIRC, amazing list.

:lol: yeah now i remember!

Oh man, haven't made one of these in a while. Let's see...

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Immolation - Here in After
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Gorement - The Ending Quest
The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld
Incantation - Diabolical Conquest
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

Honorable mentions:

Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery
Unleashed - Shadows in the Deep

.......and I just read the first post in the thread. Oh well, fuck it. I just felt like making a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.