GMD Votes: Top Thrash Metal Albums (Prelim Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These threads :lol:

I won't be voting in this round because I'm not familiar enough with thrash to consider it appropriate. From a bare look at the choices so far, it looks like Ride the Lightning has a real chance of moving on to the next thread. What happened, GMD?! Fuck, in the eighth grade, my band played "For whom the Bell Tolls" at the middle school talent show!

My band played it in 8th grade too heh. In a way you're right, it's hard to listen to anymore because it's so easy to remember what's going to happen note for note at this point. I had to list it due to influences though, might've never gotten into thrash without Ride the Lightning.

To Mega Therion is one of the hardest albums to classify IMO. What would you consider it?

I've always considered it proto-death metal (Hellhammer as well). It was released after the thrash formula had been established, but was vastly different from thrash. Scream Bloody Gore would take another to years to be released. It bears aspects similar to thrash, but the atmosphere of it says death metal to me, though its not quite there. I wanted to vote for it in the death thread, but knew it was easily contested, so I did not.

My band played it in 8th grade too heh. In a way you're right, it's hard to listen to anymore because it's so easy to remember what's going to happen note for note at this point. I had to list it due to influences though, might've never gotten into thrash without Ride the Lightning.

Haha, did you take both of the leads or split it with another guitarist? That's the dilemma that I have with Metallica, though it goes well beyond my familiarity with the material. I appreciate the stepping stone for me that they were (though Slayer was my first thrash band), but I have trouble taking them seriously after having developed more - and I hesitate to say this - sophisticated tastes. Slayer never gave me that dilemma. Nor did Death give me the dilemma. I can see Slayer appearing in the top 10 of this poll with no surprise with what I've seen from GMD over the years. Metallica love is something that has always been rare here.

I dunno, I think the first two albums are usually approved by even the trvest ov kvltists.

Kill 'em All, yes. Not so much Ride the Lightning, at least from my experience.

I can't really get into their vocals on By Inheritance, solid album musically though. When Death Comes is probably my favorite from them. Terror Squad is alright.

Terror Squad has easily the best lyric in all of metal on the song Decapitation of Deviants

'cause when shit turns to gold, the poor will be born without ass

Haha, did you take both of the leads or split it with another guitarist?

Heh, I just played the upper lead part, the rhythm guitarist couldn't play the other part in proper time :p

Yeah there's been a lot of dislike toward Metallica, but whatever, they are a major gateway band. And it's hard to deny their musical ability at least guitar/bass wise. I can definitely understand some arguments against Hetfield's voice and the drumming in later years though.

It's the votes for Among the Living that make me sad. :(

If you see Anthrax live, it will make sense. They have a thrashier live show than Megadeth especially recently. Almost as good as Slayer's. If you put the big 4 in order from thrashiest to least in terms of live shows:

Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Metallica

No contest. They deserve a spot on here, they're just not a 'serious' thrash band as much. More like a fun crossover band, with better guitar work.

To me Ride the Lighting has the right balance between the speed of Kill Em All and the technical playing and improved song-writing of Master of Puppets. and Ride the Lightning is one of their best songs.

If you see Anthrax live, it will make sense. They have a thrashier live show than Megadeth especially recently. Almost as good as Slayer's. If you put the big 4 in order from thrashiest to least in terms of live shows:

Slayer
Anthrax
Megadeth
Metallica

No contest. They deserve a spot on here, they're just not a 'serious' thrash band as much. More like a fun crossover band, with better guitar work.

Yeah well said. They have some excellent thrash riffs in their earlier albums, especially Among the Living.

I can see Slayer appearing in the top 10 of this poll with no surprise with what I've seen from GMD over the years. Metallica love is something that has always been rare here.

Two Slayer and two Metallica in the top 10 so far. Top 20 has three from each band and two from Coroner/Sepultura. So, half of the top 20 is 4 bands. Great.

I initially hated Artillery, then I went through a short phase where they grew on me a little, and then I realized that no, the vocals are terrible, and most of the writing is also. At least you can make an argument for Megadeth based on the music.

Two Slayer and two Metallica in the top 10 so far. Top 20 has three from each band and two from Coroner/Sepultura. So, half of the top 20 is 4 bands. Great.

Thing is, there are a handful of bands that absolutely dominated thrash in terms of both quality and prominence. The cream rose to the top.

I am not, but I need to get back out to Cali.

sdrbmHj.jpeg

I initially hated Artillery, then I went through a short phase where they grew on me a little, and then I realized that no, the vocals are terrible, and most of the writing is also. At least you can make an argument for Megadeth based on the music.

The vocals are great. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.