GMD Votes: Top Thrash Metal Albums (Prelim Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And noticed how both of them stopped posting...coincidence?!

I'll count 1-9. You're trolling with #10.

I also forgot to put Skeletonwitch on my thrash playlist. Thanks for reminding me.

I was not. If you have a better label for that album than progressive thrash, I'd love to hear it. I happen to be fond of that shit.

I was not. If you have a better label for that album than progressive thrash, I'd love to hear it. I happen to be fond of that shit.

progressive death metal

Death has always had some thrash influences, but Ozz wanted it to be more thrash than death to be on the list.

progressive death metal

The only difference between that album and the Control Denied one is vocals, and Chuck wasn't even growling at that point. Would you call Control Denied death metal? I don't really think of it as progressive thrash either though because the riffs really aren't that thrashy. In my head I have a sub-sub-sub-genre for bands that took after the Watchtower side of progressive metal, focusing less on the thrashy Instruments of Random Murder side and more on the slower, The Fall of Reason Rush-as-metal side, and The Sound of Perseverance is pretty much right there.

Think This is about as close to thrash as The Sound of Perseverance tbh.

There's a lot power/speed metal on Think This. There are some genuine thrash riffs too. Spontaneous has a few. Black and White is definitely thrashy. Shotgun Logic. Without counting, I think it might have a few more thrash riffs than The Sound of Perseverance. But yeah not sure I'd call it a thrash album necessarily just listening to it with an open mind. Progressive speed/thrash?

I think if you look at the structure of the riffs they have a lot more in common with mid-80s Metallica than Cannibal Corpse. Progressive death/thrash works, but if it came out today I think most people would call it thrash.

There's a lot power/speed metal on Think This. There are some genuine thrash riffs too. Spontaneous has a few. Black and White is definitely thrashy. Without counting, I think it might have a few more thrash riffs than The Sound of Perseverance. But yeah not sure I'd call it a thrash album necessarily just listening to it with an open mind.

Yeah, Think This certainly has some thrash in it, but it's a minority, same as The Sound of Perseverance. Both are basically aggressive prog/power albums.

I think if you look at the structure of the riffs they have a lot more in common with mid-80s Metallica than Cannibal Corpse. Progressive death/thrash works, but if it came out today I think most people would call it thrash.

I dunno about Metallica. It doesn't really sound like either. Someone once pointed out a Crimson Glory song that has such a 90s Death riffing style to it, and if you look at the general direction he was going in across that decade, it's basically a heavy prog/power album. Almost more like Nevermore with the melodrama replaced with self-importance.

I have a hard time calling an album by Death anything other than death metal. It's almost like Chuck was telling us 'hey, this is the direction to take death metal in the future' and the direction everyone else took it should be called something else. Kind of like Beethoven made that bizarre fugue as a direction for the future of classical music, but everyone else just copied his older music for awhile. I know, comparing Chuck to Beethoven, blah blah.

Coming from a guy that doesn't consider the first Meshuggah album to be thrash.

EDIT: That's in reply to TNB

I have a hard time calling an album by Death anything other than death metal. It's almost like Chuck was telling us 'hey, this is the direction to take death metal in the future' and the direction everyone else took it should be called something else. Kind of like Beethoven made that bizarre fugue as a direction for the future of classical music, but everyone else just copied his older music for awhile. I know, comparing Chuck to Beethoven, blah blah.

But the direction he was going in had already been charted by non-death metal acts. Sure, later bands like Martyr, Gory Blister, Obscura, etc took influence from Death's most melodic material and mixed it with more death metal elements, but by the late 90s he had no interest in death metal.

Coming from a guy that doesn't consider the first Meshuggah album to be thrash.

EDIT: That's in reply to TNB

WTF are you talking about? Blowing shit out of your ass once again? I've never even lsitened to the first Meshuggah album, but i know that Destroy Erase Improve isn't thrash, that's without a fucking doubt. But from what i remember, you disagree ... technical thrash metal, right? :lol:

... ummmm, ok? Do you have an extra chromosome or something? I just told you i've never listened to that album ... which means i've never commented on it, not even a single time. But yeah, it's you so i'm not really surprised here.

Status
Not open for further replies.