GMD Votes: Top Thrash Metal Albums (Prelim Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.
... ummmm, ok? Do you have an extra chromosome or something? I just told you i've never listened to that album ... which means i've never commented on it, not even a single time. But yeah, it's you so i'm not really surprised here.

"first Meshuggah album does have some thrash elements, but that does not make it a thrash metal album... far from it" is not a comment on the album?

Baroque's right, Hammerheart is a black metal album.

I did say progressive death metal, and not just death metal. It's an idea of what death metal 'could have been'. He was trying to progress the genre. I don't hear very many full on thrash riffs or drum beats on the album. Some exist sporadically but, definitely not enough to call it a thrash album.

Is Destroy Erase Improve their first album?

No.

I'm did say progressive death metal, and not just death metal. It's an idea of what death metal 'could have been'. He was trying to progress the genre. I don't hear very many full on thrash riffs or drum beats on the album. Some exist sporadically but, definitely not enough to call it a thrash album.

There's also little/no tremolo picking or otherwise death metal riffs. The drumming is pretty much wank on that album, the dude almost never stays in a specific pattern for long, but when you put all of it aside there are some definite thrash beats, and the drumming on the last three Death albums was pretty thrashy in general.

LOL! REALLY??? NO SHIT!!! :lol: Wow, you're truly one of a kind.

Ok, I'll try again.

1) On LastFM you made a comment definitively stating that Meshuggah's first album isn't thrash
2) Here in this thread you made a comment definitively stating that you've never listened to Meshuggah's first album

I don't know what DEI has to do with anything (I assumed you were going to claim ignorance that Meshuggah had an album prior to it), but it's irrelevant because in both cases you use the phrase "first album". Do you see the contradiction, now?

Their first album is thrashy though, if we're gonna go there.

It's some of the purest technical thrash in existence, lacking the overt progressive metal influences of many other bands.

Ok the Death album is not full on death, it's not full on thrash. I think we agree on this. The alternative mentioned was aggressive power metal... just no.

How about just progressive metal? Though that brings to mind the singer/style of dream theater.. nope. Aggressive progressive metal? Nope, that rhymes and rhyming is un-metal.

Point is, it doesn't belong in the thrash thread though.

Ok the Death album is not full on death, it's not full on thrash. I think we agree on this. The alternative mentioned was aggressive power metal... just no.

How about just progressive metal? Though that brings to mind the singer/style of dream theater.. nope. Aggressive progressive metal? Nope, that rhymes and rhyming is un-metal.

Point is, it doesn't belong in the thrash thread though.

There's much more to progressive metal than Dream Theater, and you're putting too much emphasis on vocals.

Here are a few old-school prog/power songs that sound more like 90s Death than 90s Death does death metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWT1H5NNeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xdhlbEhHTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8I8X8M4A5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV8AJBtuOQ4

Ok, I'll try again.

1) On LastFM you made a comment definitively stating that Meshuggah's first album isn't thrash
2) Here in this thread you made a comment definitively stating that you've never listened to Meshuggah's first album

I don't know what DEI has to do with anything (I assumed you were going to claim ignorance that Meshuggah had an album prior to it), but it's irrelevant because in both cases you use the phrase "first album". Do you see the contradiction, now?

1) I've never commented on Contradictions Collapse on lastfm or here. And if i did comment on their "first" album .... i definitely meant DEI. So yeah, chalk that up to my ignorance if that happened. Not really a fan of the band so yeah.

2) You've always brought up DEI when referring to Meshuggah= tech thrash ... numerous times (i can link posts). I've never had a single conversation with you about Contradictions Collapse. So here, let me straighten this out for you ... I HAVE NEVER LISTENED TO THEIR FIRST ALBUM SO I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IT IS, AND DEI IS DEFINITELY NOT A TECHNICAL THRASH METAL ALBUM! comprende?

I'm really glad to see Artillery getting so much love here.

Deservedly so. They have a few other albums that i'm surprised no one has listed yet.

+ i completely forgot about Sacrifice, although i'm not sure if any of their albums would have made my top 25.

These threads :lol:

I won't be voting in this round because I'm not familiar enough with thrash to consider it appropriate. From a bare look at the choices so far, it looks like Ride the Lightning has a real chance of moving on to the next thread. What happened, GMD?! Fuck, in the eighth grade, my band played "For whom the Bell Tolls" at the middle school talent show!

There's much more to progressive metal than Dream Theater, and you're putting too much emphasis on vocals.

Here are a few old-school prog/power songs that sound more like 90s Death than 90s Death does death metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWT1H5NNeA

Vocals matter a lot when comparing power metal to death metal. Completely different style of vocals. You're telling me Crimson Glory sounds like Death? Are you only listening to Death's cover of Painkiller? Just compare your song to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXLc3rmK10

I won't be voting in this round because I'm not familiar enough with thrash to consider it appropriate. From a bare look at the choices so far, it looks like Ride the Lightning has a real chance of moving on to the next thread. What happened, GMD?! Fuck, in the eighth grade, my band played "For whom the Bell Tolls" at the middle school talent show!

C'mon man, i know you can come up with at least 10 albums. :)

Probably the peak of your entire childhood, poser.

Vocals matter a lot when comparing power metal to death metal. Completely different style of vocals. You're telling me Crimson Glory sounds like Death? Are you only listening to Death's cover of Painkiller? Just compare your song to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXLc3rmK10

They hardly matter at all. I'm talking about riffs. There's no definitive kind of death or power metal vocal style, and Chuck was just doing a high-pitched rasp at that point. If those are death vocals, the first Sabbat album is death metal.

C'mon man, i know you can come up with at least 10 albums. :)

Well, I've got 10 days to listen to some of the albums posted. Speaking of which, there are a few votes that have raised to me some questions. Celtic Frost, for example: are we really going to consider them thrash? If so, To Mega Therion is an easy vote, but they're not thrash.

Probably the peak of your entire childhood, poser.

:lol: The album would get my vote. My point is that GMD is losing its trve kvlt edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.