Going to Concerts Alone

Sprorr

New Metal Member
Feb 16, 2014
Dearborn, MI
Is this thing ok to do? I have zero friends that like metal whatsoever (the whole screaming thing, you know) so I've never been to a concert in my life. I feel like I would just be a creep standing around staring at the band and shit. What do you guys think?

I went to a three-day festival alone and slept on the ground somewhere in the woods nearby. It was amazing.

The bottom line: don't miss out on a potentially excellent experience because you couldn't find somebody else who likes the same obscure (or popular) bands.

Nothing wrong with it, gotta start somewhere. I moved to a bigger city where I barely knew anyone, but there's usually at least 1 show a week that interests me, mostly local bands. After a year or two I could hardly go to a concert without bumping into local band members or other people I'd gotten to know, and I'm not even much of a social person.

It did help that I was simultaneously getting to know some of them on Last.fm and online music forums. Unfortunately the activity online has dwindled these days.

I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

I don't know anyone who likes metal either... go to shows and meet some cool people that you can tag along with next time. Go drink beer and have a blast..

I went to many shows alone during my tour in Germany from 1988 -1990.

Most memorable trip was travelling over 300km to see Manowar headline a Metalfest at the Phillipeshalle in Dusseldorf. Fates Warning, Sabbat, Lizzy Borden, Saxon, and Manowar. It was a night I'll never forget.

Next would be travelling to Nuremburg to see Overkill and Mordred. Ended up spending the entire day hanging out with the road crew. Got to meet the guys from both bands and got to sit in during Overkill's sound check, and then topped it all off by watching the entire show from the mixing booth. All because I spoke English, haha.

So, yeah, going to see a show alone can be a blast, it can even be one of those events that you never ever forget.

I remember going down to Worcester by myself one time. I knew absolutely no one from that town or area of USA. Though, alcohol has the tendency of making me new friends haha. So I had a fucking great time. :kickass:

Nothing wrong with it at all. Done it a few times, because yeah, it's hard to find people into the same music as me (even on this forum) and then it's hard to get said people out to a concert. Just go have fun anyways i say.

Only time it's a bit awkward is between sets when you have no one to talk to.. Perfect time to grab a drink/meet the band members/meet new friends/buy merch though.

I used to always go to concerts by myself because my friends weren't into this type of music. A few times that I can remember one or two tagged along, but 99% of the time I was alone. I much preferred it that way because I wanted to get there 2 or 3 hours early and try and meet the bands before the show and also be first at the doors when they opened in order to be upfront against the rail.

Going alone is fine. You'll have fun.

I go to local shows alone a lot, but it's because I'm in a relationship with one of the dudes playing and usually the other 'band wives' have their own little clique going on. I'm basically alone the whole time getting drunk at the bar, headbanging, and treating my thighs like a drum kit. In between sets, I'm playing phone games and chain smoking.

I'd probably do the same at a bigger show, if I couldn't get someone to let me give them gas money and pay for their ticket. It's actually a really great time to just give in to your animal and let that shit rock your head and feet man. Shit, even when I do have friends with me at a show I tend to disappear on them trying to get closer to stage, or getting beer by myself then losing them, standing in one place headbanging with my eyes shut for 45 minutes, etc.

Basically Sprorr just get in the zone, enjoy the music, and leave. You don't need people. :kickass:

I use to go to shows alone all the time and ended up meeting someone new. Now that I rarely go to shows alone, I find that it's a lot harder to concentrate on the band. It's nice to have someone there especially when the bands are setting up or if they love the music as much as you. But it's not necessary.

I'm considering seeing my first metal show in a couple weeks, and it will almost certainly be done alone. I don't even like the idea of seeing shows with other people tbh, seems like it would just be a distraction from the music unless both are really into the music and just talk in between bands.

I'm considering seeing my first metal show in a couple weeks, and it will almost certainly be done alone. I don't even like the idea of seeing shows with other people tbh, seems like it would just be a distraction from the music unless both are really into the music and just talk in between bands.

You've never been to a show, ever? That's crazy.

But yeah agreed. The only reason I really like having some friends is so nobody bothers me asking if I'm by myself. I tend to ignore them if there's metal'ing to be done.