Good albums for 2012 so far?

I'm not 100% sure Blitzy.
Im pretty sure all guitars were done by Orlando.
I am giving it my first spin now. It's not too bad. Much better than the EP which I thought lacked light & shade.
They are now a 4 piece with Portnoy, Orlando, Russell Allen and John Moyer from Disturbed on bass.

Id say the album definitely is in the same vein as Disturbed, Stonesour and a bit of Pantera kinda metal.

+1 disappointment on the new Blaze, but Meshuggah, OSI, H.E.A.T and NitroGods are all more than sufficient consolations.
NitroGods turned out a bit more blatantly Motorhead-sounding than I expected but it's not an entirely bad thing... kind of like what Airbourne are to AC/DC - the influences are far from subtle, but it still gives the overall sound a healthy kick.

Got Flying Colors on Tuesday and have given it 3 spins.
It is excellent.
Better than the last few DT albums for sure.
I love Neal Morse's songwriting, but I am glad that this album is not the usual NM collection of songs.
It really benefits from having Casey MacPhearson on vocals and co-writing.
Excellent playing from Steve Morse and Dave LaRue as well. Some of the solos are fantastic.
A bit of a mix between Muse, The Beatles, Queen, Coldplay, Transatlantic and Dixie Dregs.

Got Flying Colors on Tuesday and have given it 3 spins.
It is excellent.
Better than the last few DT albums for sure.

The evidence ~18 months after the DT/Portnoy split speaks for itself I think. While DT spent a year being media whores then released what sounded like a repackaging of various previous albums, Portnoy is out there consistently cranking out awesome music with minimal fanfare. Add this to his growing list of home runs.

I had no hesitation pre-ordering this one (something I very rarely do) and now it finally arrived I'm definitely not disappointed.

OSI "Fire Make Thunder" was the other one I had high expectations for. It's fairly solid, no stand-out weak tracks as such, but when the entire thing barely clocks over 40 minutes it leaves a bit to be desired. It almost feels like they had enough ideas to warrant writing another album, got a few songs into it and just ran out of steam so Kevin Moore padded it out with songs which would be just as much at home on a Chroma Key album. It's still one of my favourite releases for the year so far but it's distinctly lacking the unique balance of melancholy atmosphere and prog metal balls that made the earlier albums so exceptional.

Anathema's Weather Systems is fucking fantastic.
Whoa! Not what I was expecting at all. For some reason I thought they were moody/gothy/emo rock tripe but I couldn't be more wrong. Me thinks a Utopia run at lunch is in order.

Strange that you assume a Tool comparison would turn people off. They are a massively popular and successful band.

Usually it brings the notion of "oh, no. not another band trying to sound like Tool" but they can be compared to Tool in the same way that a band like Cog can.
Meaning one guitar, 1 complex bass and skillful drums (from the ex-Opeth drummer) and a very emotive singer who perform complex songs.

The new Anti-Flag album seems a little bit of a let down, stupid thing is I can't describe why, it just doesn't 'feel' as passionate as their last couple of albums

Weather Systems is pretty amazing.

The Mars Volta- Noctourniquet is ok. Not their best.

Brian and probably Southy, you need to get your hands on Torche- Harmonicraft it comes out. Thank me later.

New Marilyn Manson is surprisingly non-turd. I say surprisingly since his live performances for the last 3-4 years would suggest he's finally done one line too many and gone permanently spaz.