Good albums for 2012 so far?

Has anyone mentioned Unisonic by Unisonic yet? Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske's first album together since Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II. And what a good album it is. Very good indeed.

D:A: D's new one is pretty awesome too.

new Testament - Dark Root of Earth is excellent.
Proper thrash plus a really well done over of Iron Maiden's classic Powerslave. :headbang:

If I could forgo beer for a weekend, I would go get this tomorrow....I so want it, but only have enough for a CD or the same weight in beer this week, so beer, here I fuggin' come

The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten is fucking great, even better if you are a fan of The Boss, I am a big fan of this band, always have been.

Also if I haven't mentioned it already -

Demon Hunter - True Defiance. Get over your shit about Christian metal/Christian people playing metal, this is a great album full of great chunks of modern metal, no matter what side of the religious/mad hatter fence they sit on

Kill Devil Hill - ST . Purchased on basis that Vinnie Appice (drums) and Rex Brown (Bass) are on it .... really heavy stuff with clean vocals from the dude from Pissing Razors
EUROPE - Bag of Bones .... this is a classic ... very 70's feel ... fecking great ...
LITA FORD : Living Like a Runaway ... LITA is back ... I've always had a Hard Spot for Lita ...

The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten is fucking great, even better if you are a fan of The Boss, I am a big fan of this band, always have been.

Checked this album out and I am massively impressed by it.
You can really hear the Springstein influences on it.

This is usually the kind of thing that I don't care much for by their talent and passion makes it shine.
But big let down at the end by the cover of a fucking awful Nirvana song which songs a lot like the original and just drags what came before right down unfortunately.

Eh? I can happily ignore it, I guess they are trying to show they are influenced by more than just the 'New Jersey Sound'. Listened to it and the previous album American Slang back to back today, Handwritten is the better of the two, just because it has a few more 'rockier' tunes like the first two albums. It is official though, I am a fanboy of the band and their output.....

Due to a reading a beyond terrible review (terribly written, doesn't really score the album) for the latest Baroness album Yellow & Green, I decided to check it out.

Never having heard Baroness before I was really taken in by the album and its myriad styles and sounds.
Another strong contender for album of the year it would seem.

If you want to read the review you can do so here but be warmed: it will give you cancer and cause haemorrhoids on your eyes.

Here's one I recorded here recently that you guys might enjoy - Troldhaugen: http://troldhaugen.bandcamp.com/album/ramshackle

They describe themselves as "For fans of FINNTROLL, FRANK ZAPPA, DIMMU BORGIR, PRIMUS and THE MUPPETS." Yep, you read that all right! :p But seriously, there's very few bands in this country that have come out with an album as unique as this, let alone a bunch of local dudes from Wollongong!

I'm looking forward to Devin Townsend's new album. I will also listen to the ne The Darkness. I loved permission to land but I'm not expecting anything near that quality

I got Alarum's new-ish album at their gig last night and am very impressed. Seems to be their best album yet.

I was just listening to Ne Obliviscaris. It's amazing that black metal all of a sudden got really good. Between them and Krallice I might be doing blast beats at my work desk all week.