Got your disc the other day

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Was happy to see the CD arrive. I've listened to it a few times so far. Overally I enjoy it. At first something about the sound quality was bothering me, but I think it was that I was stretching to hear the vocals, and when I turned up the volume so I could really hear them the instruments were a bit too loud. But after a few songs it improved, and even when I listen to the first couple songs now it doesn't bother me. I can say this. Hearing the music inspired me a bit with my own guitar playing. Also makes me really want to learn classical guitar, or pick up a classical and acoustic, as I really got into some of the acoustic songs. And the guitar solos were all solid.

One thing that bothered me though was some of the lyrics. I'm not saying they were bad. But after reading them a few times, and listening to the songs I wasn't quite getting it. For example, with D2C and Shadow Dust. Any hints on what they are about?

Wow, thanks for stopping by to let us know what you think!

The quality of our discs gets better each time, so the next one should be a step up. Live and learn kind of thing. Glad you enjoyed the acoustic pieces. They were fun to do.

Well, my philosophy on lyrics is something people don't always like. I believe they mean what you interpret them as. Of course, the author has something in mind when writing them, but it is whatever it means to you. But, since I doubt that will satisfy you, I'll give you the general concept: the whole Driven By Fate block of songs is about contemplating the universe, life, and our place in it.

Hope to see ya around here from time to time. :)

Yeah, in general I agree. I write (moreso used to... my creative writing juices have been dead in all but my head lately) poetry as a hobby, and read a lot as well. I rarely explain a poem, because I hope it means something to somebody who reads it on some level.

This does have an annoying twist though. When we expect people to get something out of our poetry/lyrics, there has to be something intended to get out of it. I mean, I'm always glad to hear when somebody got something out of it, even if it wasn't what I intended at all. Else, we could just write down random cool sounding words (for reference see crappy bands, especially some of the really crappy prog bands), and then hope that people see something into it. Would be like attacking a canvas with various paints with no concept, and then people could look at it and see if anything reveals.

I know you had some ideas with it, and I guess I've done too much schooling in the area, which can tear some enjoyment away, while adding new ones; so I often analyze poetry as a whole, and then line by line. I think that was what I was trying to get an idea of, what were the thoughts that you wanted to convey. But if you don't want to reveal, or feel its unnecessary I completely understand and will leave it as that. ;)

Well a friend that rode around in my car the last couple days has become a fan as well ;)

Yeah, in general I agree. I write (moreso used to... my creative writing juices have been dead in all but my head lately) poetry as a hobby, and read a lot as well. I rarely explain a poem, because I hope it means something to somebody who reads it on some level.

This does have an annoying twist though. When we expect people to get something out of our poetry/lyrics, there has to be something intended to get out of it. I mean, I'm always glad to hear when somebody got something out of it, even if it wasn't what I intended at all. Else, we could just write down random cool sounding words (for reference see crappy bands, especially some of the really crappy prog bands), and then hope that people see something into it. Would be like attacking a canvas with various paints with no concept, and then people could look at it and see if anything reveals.

I know you had some ideas with it, and I guess I've done too much schooling in the area, which can tear some enjoyment away, while adding new ones; so I often analyze poetry as a whole, and then line by line. I think that was what I was trying to get an idea of, what were the thoughts that you wanted to convey. But if you don't want to reveal, or feel its unnecessary I completely understand and will leave it as that. ;)
Of course - I definitely like to hear that people get something out of it, even if it wasn't what was intended.

The CD we're currently working on will be a concept album, so I suppose you'll have lots of fun doing your lyricall analysis if you check it out. It's going to be a great disc when we're done - from the music to lyrics to concept to artwork to production and everything. At least that's the plan. :)

Never heard of that site. Hope you like the CDs!
Lala.com is a "trading" site. You create a Want and A Have list. The website sends you pre-paid envelopes and if someone requests one of your CDs you ship it for free; then you're able to get a CD sent to you, which only costs $1.75. It's an awesome site. I don't have many CDs I'm willing to part with so I go into Boston and buy $2 used CDs and use those for trade fodder.

Anyway, I definitely dig the CDs!